1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your favourites bassists that are your main influence

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RumbleMan3, Jun 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SpyderX

SpyderX

Jun 6, 2015
    Costa Mesa, Ca
    I've never really concentrated on one musician or tried to mimic anyone's style... I TRY to steal something from everyone :wideyed:

I like KA alot. You don't see his name out there much anymore. I saw him a couple times in the 70s and 80s. He sure made the Billy Squier concert I saw bearable. He was the reason I picked up the Dust albums.

Bass V likes this.
  2. Some of these guys are pickers, some aren't. Actually now that I think of it, the list is random as heck :D

I am influenced by these guys stylistically:

Geezer Butler
    Phil Lynott
    Flea
    Matt Wong
    Russell Bergquist
    Cliff Burton
    John Menor
    Matt Freeman
    John K. Samson

3. donotfret

donotfret

Jun 11, 2018
    My absolute favourite is James Jamerson. It's not even his style as such (although I do like it), it's the way that all his bass lines perfectly fit the song.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    been a big fan since '72 and it killed me when DUST packed it in but damn if he didn't make the best of sad sitch having played with nearly everyone from Dylan to The NY Dolls since. he's low key and does the NY club scene but has been a Yardbird for a while and I finally caught up with him recently when the 'birds hit Blue Note Waikiki where I waited til he was done with everybody and he gave me a 1/2hr of quality time. I knew he'd be cool and he was great, what a solid workhorse, he's easy to keep up with on his facebook pages.

SpyderX likes this.
  5. Biggest influences are John Deacon, Rudy Sarzo, and Rick Savage, not necessarily in that order.

6. Neviegirl

Neviegirl Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Long Island NY
    Nathan Watts
    Flea
    M. Miller
    Stuart Zender
    Paul Turner
    Norwood Fisher
    JPJ
    Rob Deleo
    Martin Lenoble
    Sting
    Oteil Burbridge
    Juan Nelson

And many, many more....

7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Louis Johnson
    Nate Watts
    Tina Weymouth
    Allen McGrier (Tina Marie/ Rick James/ Mary Jane Girls)
    Paul S Denman ( Sade)
    Marcus Miller
    Bootsy Collins
    James Jamerson
    Carol Kaye
    Meshelle Ndegeocello
    Pino Palladino
    Prince
    Janice Marie Johnson ( Taste of Honey)
    Debra Killings

Ggeorges and ELynx like this.
  8. Karlson541

Karlson541 Banned

Jun 9, 2018
    Probably Justin Chancellor from Tool.

Although I'd say that all my favorite bass players is more of an inspiration than having any direct influence on how I play.
    I don't really consciously try to mimic anyone, but like to think I got my own style.

9. For me it will be Pino Palladino. I saw him mentioned once so far.

He plays in so much music. This is what I admire about him. It seems whenever someone needs a bass in their track they approach him, and he says "Sure, I can".

Ggeorges and renobassman like this.
  10. renobassman

renobassman

Jul 27, 2011
    Tennessee
    Rob DeLeo
    Stefan Lessard
    James Jamerson
    Duck Dunn
    Chuck Rainey
    Michael Rhodes - (saw him at a small venue several years ago, and was about the most rock solid player I've ever seen)

I like the way all these guys create something interesting and musical that fits perfectly in context while not getting the way of anything else.

I know that there are many others that have influenced me in the same way, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind

Ggeorges and 4StringTheorist like this.
  11. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I’m not influenced by anyone, anymore. And I don’t mean for that to sound arrogant at all. When I started playing, in the early 80s, I certainly did have influences that reflect the period: Sheehan, Harris, Sixx, Bain, Anthony, etc. As I kept playing, and my horizons got expanded because I got older, I moved towards Jazz. There, I discovered Chambers and Mingus. Then Fusion got my attention, and Jaco and Caron got me into fretless. But underneath it all was the music that I grew up with; classic country.

Somewhere along the way, all those influences (including the note choices from other instruments, like Vai on guitar or Miles Davis on trumpet) became who I am today. If you heard me play, I doubt that you’d recognize any of my influences - they are deeply internalized now. You might recognize techniques that I’ve “borrowed” but I’ve become a ‘filtered sum of those parts’.

So while my influences are always there, they’ve become who I am as a bassist.

Ggeorges likes this.
  12. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Mars Cowling. Dee Murray. Noel Redding. John Entwistle.

Geez, four dead guys. Way to bring down the room.

13. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Tony Levin's playing on Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live is what made me a bass player.

Being a 90s teen though, I've got to shout out Patrick Dahlheimer of Live and Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots as just equisite rock bassists of that era.

I have lots of guys n gals that have inspired me since, but for me biographically it starts with those three people.