your fender bass...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etherbass, Jun 9, 2004.

1. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey just wondering how you all prefer your jazz or p basses set up? what pickups, strings, string height, fretboard, colour, etc... i have a sunburst 75' re issue with a maple fretboard, i use Rotosound stainless strings.. 45-105
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, I use fender 105 taperwound strings on an all stock MIA Jazz Deluxe. Rosewood board, suhr electronics. Strung thru the body. That's some good stuff. Nice growl, great punch. I play that thru a sansamp bass driver DI, gk 1001RB, and an eden 210mbx. I use fender/carver professional cable, and vintage voltage cables.
  3. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    My MIA P-Bass was all standard and I used D'addario nickle strings strung through the body (it got stolen). It was rosewood fretboard maple neck with natural finish on ash body.

My Jaco production fretless, I put a J-Retro in, and use the same D'addario nickle roundwounds as I did on my P strung through the bridge (no string through body option). Sunburst on alder body with no pickguard pao ferro fretboard and maple neck.

My RB5 has a green mint (I think, like an off-set white) pickguard on a 3tone sunburst (its GORGEOUS). I used to string through bridge with the D'addario nickle roundwounds (same as used in the other basses but with a 5th string), just due to the fact they wouldn't reach when strung through body, I was limited to stringing through the bridge, just two weeks or so ago I picked up DRs and strung through the body and am prefering this much more (I believe its not because of the fact I'm stringing through the body although I do prefer this just SLIGHTLY over stringing through bridge), but the steels sound great and not as mellow and dense with the alder body and maple neck with pao ferro board.
  4. Fender American Deluxe Jazz 97. Suhr electronics, all stock, rosewood fingerboard, sunburst finish with tortoise shell pickguard. Right now I have some Labella nickelplated steel Slappers, 40-95 strung through the body. Semi-low action, just enough to play fast without compromising tone or ability to dig in.
  5. I use a fender standard jazz bass all standard ,alder body in black with a white pickguard and a rosewood fretted fret board ,high action strung with fender super bass 7250's.
  6. Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    I just bought a Fender Deluxe Zone bass. This is the most versatile bass I have played. Deep piano like lows or make it growl with passion.
    I love this thing...NO NOISE what so ever unlike the Squier P bass Special I just took back.

Mine is in Sienna Burst.
    click on Hear it then select Hi Quality for the best sound. It sounds just like it does on the sample.

This is my first nice bass. I have a Gretsch Tennessee Rose and just wanted a bass so I could record stuff at home...Now I am hooked on Bass. I am just an average guitar player but bass just brings out the passion in me! I love it...

:hyper: :bassist:
  7. levijames

May 29, 2004
    I bought a 2 tone sunburst MIA Jazz last year-original strings on it,105's I believe-they still sound great so no reason to change em.Couldnt be happer with my bass.
  8. i have a standard fretless jazz bass MIM. i dont like the fretless i dont know why i chose the fretless at the store but now i dont like it beacuse you have to put your finger right on the lines insted of in between them and i have played fretted awhile before that so i just want to go back to fretted, also dont like the color its agav blue. besides all that i love the sound to death it has great tone and playability, i have been saving my moola for a new bass and since i like the bass i have right know so much, i am just going to get the same exact bass just a different color and it will be fretted!

anyways i use Ernie Ball regular slinkys, fender round coated with nickle, and d'addario rounds they all sound pretty much the same to me, my action is semi-low and everything besides the pickguard is stock. it sounsds great!
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    P-bass TI flats
    J-bass Ken Smith Compressiors
  10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Heavily customized Steve Harris P, lake placid blue, maple board, currently a black PG(ever changing), EMG's into EMG BTC controll, GHS Boomers 45-100.
  11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    AM DLX Jazz 5- Alder with Maple board, also looking for an Ash one with maple board- they are funk machines!
  12. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I keep my P-bass set up with low action, which isn't too good for a picker like me, especially considering that I play with my band in drop D. Floppier than a fish out of water. I've got a Seymour Duncan SPB-3 in it. Couldn't be happier. A tort pickguard for a '75 P-bass. Sunburst finish. Thumbrest installed. Dunlop straplocks. About to add a Leo Quan Bad Ass II, vintage chome pickup cover, and if I can find one, a maple board '70s P-bass neck. I think if I do that, the body will be the only original item remaining :p
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Geddy Lee Jazz is stock. Badass II bridge, Custom Shop 60's pickups. Sounds and plays great. The only thing that I would change is the tuners, they are kind of cheesy. But the bass doesn't have enough strings, so I don't play it much. No need to replace the tuners, no more than I use it. I prefer to string it up with DR Lo Riders.
  14. 67' MIA Fender Jazz. All stock electronics, rosewood fretboard, sunburst finish with a tortoise shell pickguard. Currently strung with Thomastik-Infeld JF344- .043 .056 .070 .100. Low action. I have a very light touch but, high enough that I can dig in when need be.

I have several other Fender J & P basses but, this one gets 95% of my playing attention. :eyebrow:

15. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    "97 MIA Jazz V with Fender Noisless pickups and J retro. Olympic White with tort pickguard. set up is pretty much exactly like the Fender suggestions on the Mr. Gearhead page with the strings slightly higher than suggested. (slightly) Right now I am using SIT nickle wound strings 45-125 with tapered B and E strung through the body. I am considering looking for different strings that still have that growl but without harsh midrange overtones. I'm surprised that no one has posted pictures on this thread. You can see mine here if you want.
  16. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Mid 90s MIA-P. Black body/rosewood fretboard with a Red tortoius (sp?) pick guard, Basslines 1/4 Pound pup and DR nickle string....i always forget the name of them, lol. Possibly going to flats soon.
  17. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    1984 MIJ Precision (See avatar) strung with JO Flats which are coming off soon and will be replaced with either TI Jazz Flats's or DM Blue Steels. Action is low as I play with a light touch. I may just sell it first as my Zone gets the majority of my playing time.

18. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    My Jaco fretless has a very old set of rotosound round wounds on it, no need to change those yet. My 60's jazz at the moment has D'addario medium rounds on it. I switch between those and chrome flats depending on the mood I'm in.
    Both are set up with low action with just a hint of buzz when I dig in. I run both pickups wide open for slap and I back off the neck pickup for finger style. I just put a neck pickup cover on the 60's jazz, and so far, it hasn't gotten in the way too much. :cool:
  19. Treena, you beat me to it-
    I was going to say "a MIA '65 Fender Jazz" because of all the Mexican, Japanese, Korean and Liliputian Fenders made in 1965. :)

Anyway, my MIA '65 Jazz is set up with D'Addario 50-105. I replaced the tuners (the old ones were literally falling apart), and the bridge because I had to at the time- I have a Badass on there, it makes no difference folks. The action is set a bit high, but that's the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it.
  20. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Not to hijack the thread but.

What's the story with Suhr electronics. I've never heard of them??

I'll add my config setting too:

99 American Std. Jazz. - Rosewood board, badass bridge. D'Addario XLs .40

01 American Jazz - Maple board. DR Fat beams .45. Through the body.

Both are bright snappy and cool. I'll be taking the rosewood board bass to TI Jazz Flats as soon as the D'Addarios die. Just to try something different.