Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your finger technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Nov 15, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Say you are in 1st position and you play a G (3rd fret on E string). Which finger do you use to hold it down?

Also, say you need to go from the G to the A (5th fret still on E string)...which finger do you use?? Do you just slide over to the A with the finger that is being used to hold down the G? Sorry if I am confusing anyone...I am just trying to get an idea of some people's finger technique..

2. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    If I'm playing G, chances are it's going to be my index finger, and then I reach over with my ring finger to hit A.

3. I approach it like a game of Pool; it's all about getting to where you want to go next. For instance, if I'm playing a standard Blues progression in a minor, my index finger is on the root and the pinky goes to the 2nd. However, if I'm playing in a major, my middle finger goes on the root and my index goes to the 2nd. Whenever possible, try to minimize your movements to reduce fatigue and increase speed.

Paul Mac

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Like Paul Mac said, it's all about what you're doing next. If my next note is the A on the E string, I'll probably use my index finger for the G and my ring finger for the A, but that may also be affected by where I'm going after the A. Sometimes an index finger slide to the A works best for the line.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Of course it depends on the situation - but my basic default fingering position is as follows:

I play the root with my middle finger and on the same string I play the 2nd with my pinky. For the next 3 notes I go up one string - 3rd with my index (you have to stretch if it's minor) 4th with the middle finger, 5th with the pinky - next three notes on the next string up - 6th with the index (again, you have to stretch one fret if it's minor) 7th with either the middle or ring finger depending on if it's Maj or min and the octave is played with the pinky.

I hope that made sense. That is my default position for Major scales, minor scales, and a fair amount of music.

This is how my teacher taught me to do it and I've always liked this way. YMMV

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    If you're talking what you should do according to the technique books and that in 1st position...I would play the G with my Ring finger, then the A with my first.

Personally, I would never do that. Like the previous posts stated, it's all about where you're going next.

Mark Wilson

7. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks for the replies :)
    I am mostly self taught (I played bass in the concert band in High School :eyebrow: ) and the bass instructor never really showed me the "right" finger technique...I kind of had to figure it out on my own by watching others play and by doing what felt right at the moment/comfortable. From the looks of it, I am on the right track.

Cheers,