Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your First Bass! Post Up!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silent method, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Everyone has that first bass that they got and were so proud of even though it may not have been any better then a $40 wallmart job. So lets see what everyone was learning on. I'm at work right now, but ill post mine as soon as i get home. (its also my current) :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mine was a '93 Fender MIM Jazz bass in candy apple red. Bought it used, used it for almost a year, then sold to a kid I know, who wanted to start bass.

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

My first bass (just 2 1/2 yrs ago) was a Godin Freeway 4. It had a nice slim Jazz-type neck, string-thru-body, P/J pickups, wam even tone. I traded it plus cash for a Fender MIA Precision which I love, but somehow I wish I hadn't let the Godin go.

I still use a Godin BG-5.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice. After a year of playing i got myself a Godin SD and used it for a year as my main bass. I put bartolini pickups in it. I then wanted to upgrade and considered a Godin BG-4 but decided to go big time and i got a Musicman Sterling.

5. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    My first bass was a used Ibanez SR-400 in natural. It was in excellent condition with a drop-D tuner and hardcase and I negotiated it down to $225. Great first bass.

Glenn D.

6. joereda

joereda Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Atlanta
    Hofner Beatle bass. I was 11 and it was under the tree for Christmas...Thanks, Dad. That was in '75. Sold it a few years later for a P-bass. Wish I still had them both.

Joe

7. you guys some really nice first basses, any pics?

8. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    A nasty Kramer with a aluminum neck.. think it's still in storage.. what a POS.

9. black peavey milstone III, still have it ,i use it as a spare and practice bass.

10. My first and still my only bass is an Ibanez SRX300, when I get a new bass I'm probably going to make this one fretless.

11. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I had a really ****ty Mako P bass copy with what may have been the worst bridge design ever - bent the strings at a 45 degree angle. Broke 'em all the time. I have some pix somewhere, but they're not worth the effort to scan!

There's a reason you've never heard of "Mako".

12. very unlikey but any chance you are from ontario canada?

13. ashevans

ashevans

Dec 22, 2004
    Oxford, UK
    first was a peavey internarional series 4 string in a reddish/orrange kinda burst. Still have and cherish it. :)

14. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Used Yamaha BB300

15. I had a Squier P-bass deluxe I sold to a friend/former guitarist of mine for 100 bucks. The way I see it, my first real bass was my TBC(four string), and I'm never selling this.

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    1994 Mexican Squier Precision White...

That pic has to be either late 1996 or early 1997...

Attached Files:

17. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    In 1993 or so, I started on a Washburn Precision lookalike that the band director bought for me the summer I started playing.

The following year I was able to buy my first and only bass I have owned: An Ibanez EX-Series 5 string that came with passive EMG Selects. After I graduated school, I got some Active EMGs, EMG BTC circuit and a Warwick adjustable brass nut.

I have not played many basses that play like mine. I love it!

Here are some pics:

Top of page for Pics

JBvb

18. A "Global" sunburst two-pickup model ordered out of a Sears catalog for like $79 in about 1977. No pics, sorry.

Mike

19. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    Fender MIM standard P-bass in midnight wine. Sold it about a year later when I really got "serious" with my bass playing. It wasn't the best bass but was pretty easy to play, I havent played a MIM P that sounded or felt quite as nice since I really wish I would have kept it now, but dont we all? :crying:

20. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    A Fender jazz from sometime in the 60's. I can't find a pic at the moment. A former "guitarist" smashed it against a wall one day. :crying: