Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your first bass teacher.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by H2ODog, Nov 13, 2003.

1. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I just bought my first bass and amp and am now ready to look for a teacher. Since I’m new to the instrument I’m not experienced enough to know if the potential teacher is qualified to teach. How do you determine if a teacher is actually knowledgeable enough to teach? What questions should I ask to get an idea of his skill level. I have been looking around and have found some advertisements but it’s hard to determine if it would be the right one. Is price an indicator of the quality of teacher? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. If your just starting out look for an instructor who is an instructor. Not some dude who 'plays bass'. Price is an indicator that you are being ripped off. I'd try to find an instructor that you personally like because if you don't like the instructor you will likely quit playing bass.

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Ask people who shop at your local music store who their instructor is/was, and what their opinion is of them.

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    If your paying for an instructor (And you will) Interview him/her before you start. Be comfortable with that person. Ask many questions, about their backround. Don't be afraid to tell them what you want to learn from them. If they can't teach you what you feel you need to learn, move on until you find that right teacher!!

Shop around, then decide. :)

5. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I made a few calls and i have seen rates from $25 to $60 per/hour. What is a decent rate for an hour long session.

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    That depends on the teacher and what their abilities are. If they are good, you will pay more for the lessons.

Get what you can afford. If your not getting what you paid for, find a new teacher.

:)

7. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA

$25/half hour seems reasonable. Ask some questions about the teacher's background. Did he go to/graduate from a music school? How many teachers has he had? How long did he study with instructors? What's his gigging background? ONce you get someone with a good background you'll just have to take a chance for a few lessons. If you get along well and he seems to have agood program for you to follow, give it a chance. If not, move on.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Find out who teaches at UCSC, thier probbally good.

AJ

9. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Hi Bassmantele,

The $25 rate was for a full hour. Can you get anything done in 30 min or is it too short to consider. Thanks for the reply.