Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zirc, Feb 28, 2002.

1. I still have my first bass

311 vote(s)
    57.3%
  2. Nope, sold it / got rid of it somehow

232 vote(s)
    42.7%
  1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Just curious how many got rid of their first bass and how many still have it.

Personally I'm gonna sell my first one. I never play it so it seems like the logical thing to do.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    First bass was a short scale Aria. The body was very similar to a telebass, but was hollow and made out of a very stiff pulp-like particle board/cardboard type of material.

After a variety of spraypaint experiments, I traded it for a Yamaha BB200. I think I got $50 trade for it, and I think they were being generous.

Chas

4. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Kept it. Standard Fender P bass. Sentimental attachment. My first child.

5. Squier Standard Precision Special 5 5-string bass in shoreline gold finish. It's not much, but it's my first baby. Plus, my dad bought it for me as a surprise, so it's too special to just sell or give away. Maybe not to loan....but not to sell :D

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Still have my 4 string Encore, gonna have it defrettet though.

7. i still have mine... never gonna get rid of it.. hehe, has.. Sentimental value.. hah...

i found this bass in my grandfathers attic about 5 years ago... stumbled over it by accident.. and was amazed.. a bass just lying in the attic... ( of course i didnt even know it was a bass at the time, thought it was a guitar, didnt know much).. so i asked him if i could have it... he did..

it didnt have any electorinics in it, nor pick ups.. but it was in one peice.. and had some really old strings on it...

i played on that for about a year till i had enough money to buy a new bass.

heres pictures of the old thing :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. pumo420

pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    illinois
    my first bass was a slamer hamer the 2nd day igot i broke a string. I later got another bass and let someone borrowed my slamer and i just got it back today!!!!!! i already brought new pickups bridge nut and pots for the bass.

9. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    My first bass was a piece.
    I had a lotus of somesort. That should be enough to let you understand where I'm coming from. I loaned it out and never got it back, but quite frankly it's probably not worth the gas money to go find it. It's duct taped together and if oyu move the volume I would say knob, but the actual knob is missing, it starts to cut out. The input is taped on and the cord has to be taped to the back, b/c if you move the cable the guitar cuts out, so really that thing is gone and not bothering me a whole lot. Oh yeah I paid $100 for it when I was in 8th grade...What a deal. J/K
    Brad

10. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    Westone Spectrum........stll have it.
    I'v recently defretalised it which has given it a new lease of life.....feels like a new bass......kind of:rolleyes:

11. My first and ONLY bass right now is a Ibanes Soundgear 400. A very common onw of course. I am never gonna ell it. I would rather give it to my dad so that he helps me with money o get more gear

12. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    My first bass was(well, still is) a Yamaha ERB-300 II. Mucho cool bass, I still have it and use it.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My first bass was a Memphis P bass copy, back in the 70's, when Memphis' were decent basses. Dad sold it and other instruments to feed the family.

I just found and bought another of my old basses(don't know if it's the exact one) on Ebay, a Westone Quantum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Red Westone bass, looked like one of these 80s hair-rock P-bass copies (pointy headstock) and a pseudo-soapbar-style P-pickup.

Sold it as fast as I could, and never regretted it.
    I still kick myself for selling that Ampeg V4-B though.

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yamaha BB300. P-copy. Black with Rosewood board. No guard. Heavy as can be! Still have it, will keep it. Chose this one over two early G&Ls! What an idiot I was! Oh well, I love it

16. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I kind have mine, sanded it down, and now i am in the process of making the ugliest alembic triple omega ever

17. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I started on DB, never had one though.

my first was some stupid copy bass i couldn't play because of those stupid metal things, the 2nd bass i got was a 1970 p-bass with no frets i couldn't play because i didn't know where the notes were and how to tune it, so it sat around for 3 years until i started bass guitar in 8th grade (i'm in 10th now), i gave that crappy bass to my brother, but i love my fender.

18. i have a samick. i have had it for two mothes

19. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Makes me sick to admit it but my first bass was a,...drum roll please....a Hondo!!:D :rolleyes: :p Man that thing was a piece of sh!t. That was 1983. After that I got an Ibanez Roadstar 2, then a Fender Musicman bass (given to me for free). I dropped playing after that for over 10 years (don't know why but I lost interest). About 2 years ago I had an urge to play again so I bought a cheap new $200 Yamaha and a used (mint) Carvin ProBass 150 practice amp (1 sweet little practice amp, 150 watt, 10"). I have been playing since and just bought another bass, a sweet 98 American P-bass and also just bought another amp/cab rig, a Acoustic 140 head and Laney (late model) 4x10 off of ebay for $225 (for both the head and the cab both in great shape!!!!). What a deal!!! I'm luvin life playing again!!!!

20. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    MIM Precision. Black. White gaurd. Christmas present I got to pick out myself.
    Now have 2 more, but I still play it.
    Still have it. Will NEVER part with it.