1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

your first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waidonchasaisew, May 10, 2010.

1. this is a place to tell (or show) the first bass you ever owned.

i started with an Ibanez GSR200 4 years ago. Its totally trashed with a crooked neck, rusted pickups and beat up head but it still plays fine with a new set of strings and a couple tweaks to the bridge.

2. tbickle2

tbickle2

Mar 26, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    My first bass was an unstrung Seville P-bass my dad gave me which never did get strung up. My next bass was a '75 Gibson Grabber which I have more than gotten my $200 out of.

3. Dellers

Dellers

Nov 7, 2006
    Norway
    First bass? Marcus Miller signature 4-string. Pretty nice bass, but unfortunately the electronics ain't working well atm (gotta get it fixed soon).

4. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    My first bass was a "cheap" Japanese thing that I bought from a friend who got sent to Viet Nam in 1965. I cannot remember what the brand was. I also bought his Ampeg B12 flip top.

A few months later I traded the bass in ( plus cash) at Sam Ash for a 1958 P Bass (red/white) in fair condition.

Screw up #1 was letting the Japanese bass go w/o finding out what it was - for all I know, it could have been a rare Yamaha or something.

Screw up #2 was selling the P Bass for $500 in 1975 to support myself while in school. Because of the rare red/white color, this bass would probably be worth over $10,000 today.

5. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    My first was an Ashton. Cheap Australian brand. My sister got it and never played. Same with her acoustic guitar and piano. So I took over all three and spent hours trying to play along to Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac until I figured out what blues was. I played it in a pop band for years until the electronics screwed up a little. I gave it to a band mate. I was young and dumb. It was just a loose wire. Could have fixed it myself so he received a working, but crap, bass for free. He made an explorer-type body for it and gave it to his dad who had never played before but felt like rocking out after listening to us so it wasn't all bad. Then moved on to a Warwick Corvette :)

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Peavey Milestone IV (P-bass copy). I'll show a pic when I get it back from the shop next weekend. With the mods it's HIDEOUS.

7. A Warwick Corvette fretless was my first. Luckily I had been playing guitar for a while and could just sell all my stuff and buy good bass gear. Before that I used to borrow a friends weird jazz bass copy with a Fender decal on it (he had no idea who had actually made the instrument). It was the heaviest bass I have ever tried.

8. tifftunes

tifftunes Guest

HagInB15N.

Both gone now, unfortunately. Both from 1964... I was the 2nd owner... The B-15 was also a great guitar amp!

9. First one - bought in 1978 for $360 - still got it.

10. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Ibanez GSR200 4 years ago as well, though it was a new one, I'm going to make it fretless soon.

11. Lambic

Lambic Squeaky Pedals McGee

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)
    Fender MIA Standard J
    Still love it. Still got it.
    Not very surprising: I started playing bass four months ago...:D

12. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    My first bass was also a Hagstrom, branded as a "Cromwell." It looked like yours, except that it was red, didn't have the bolts along the edge of the body or the grill between the pickups, and had the "Cromwell" brand on the headstock. I paid $25 for it used in 1971, and lost it sometime in the late 90s when I moved around a lot and left lots of possessions at different places. I loved the neck! Wish I still had it.

13. jeppu

jeppu

Jan 23, 2009
    semarang, indonesia
    my first bass is cort b4... :hyper:
    i paid $260 for it..i bought it from a friend in a forum...
    i love its feel & sound... :bassist:

14. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    My Thunderbird.
    Got it for my 15th back in 2008, having spent the summer trying to learn bass using my old Drive guitar with the highest two strings removed.
    A lot of people have said T-Birds are the wrong choice for a starter, but if you can play a T-Bird, you can play anything...

15. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Westone Concord II - I still have it. It's been a fretless with a "modified" pickguard for the past 18 years but it never gets played anymore. I keep it in the corner of my studio for sentimental value.

It looks just like this one except without a full pickguard and frets :smug:
    http://www.westone.info/concord2bass.html

16. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    '87 USA Peavey Dyna Bass. Charcoal Gray with matching neck and headstock. I had an old Chinese SKS assault rifle. I needed a bass and at the time my mental state (it's 11 years later and I'm better now) dictated that I really didn't need an assault rifle laying around so I traded it to my best friend from high school for the bass. A lot of people swear by those basses and I can see why because in most respects they played really well and were well constructed. I however grew very dissatisfied with it. The preamp gave me nothing but trouble after a while and it was really neck divey. I actually had to use my fretting hand to hold it up while I was playing it. After I had been playing it for a couple of years I found the Jazz bass and the rest is history. I let a friend borrow the Peavey. I never saw him after that and about 6 months ago I saw it in a pawn shop. I disliked it so much that I really wasn't even saddened by it.

17. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    There was a similar thread here a few months ago.

In 1968 I bought a cheap Japanese short scale bass for $35 and a tab of acid. Can't remember the brand. A few months later I sold it for what I paid sans the LSD. Scraped $275 together and bought a new Fender Telecaster. It was a different world back then.

18. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Somewhere in the middle 70s. Fender P Bass in sunburst.

19. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    my 1st was a early 90's Fender P-Bass in Black.... modded w/ Seymour Duncan's