1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BMBassman, Jun 28, 2012.

1. BMBassman

BMBassman

Jul 16, 2010
    Came up in another thread, but I thought it would be interesting. It seems a lot of us have warm stories of our first... bass, sometimes with touches of 'the one that got away', and thought this would be interesting, .
    Mods - if I'm in the wrong forum, I apologize now.
    My TRUE first was an ugly Cort. I block that one out. The one I played for a long time was a weird hybrid - a P bass w/a Tele bass neck. Probably not collectible, and with all kinds of 'character marks' including that cigarette burn on the headstock by the string tree.
    I took it for granted, sold it in a fit of GAS for an ESP V-er and the cash three years ago. I love the ESP, but would give it back for my first Fender ANYDAY...

2. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I had an early G&L L-2000 E. Didn't know what I had at the time, but I sold it for about $400 more than I paid for it. Can't say I miss it, but knowing what I know now it would be cool to play it again to see if it would be a keeper now!

3. Mine was a cobalt blue Squier Affinity P that I played until it fell apart. Which, considering how many times it was dropped it on concrete, was a surprisingly long time. I still have it and may fix it up some day, but for now it sits on a wall. It may be a broken piece of trash, but it was and always will be MY broken piece of trash!

4. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    My first bass was a Hondo All-Star. The neck had bowed so much that it was nearly impossible to play and the truss rod didn't work (I still worked out Geddy Lee bass licks on it - painfully). I hated that bass so much that I got a job and saved several paychecks to buy my way out of having to play it. I replaced it, a year later, with an Aria Pro II RSB.

5. Mine was a 1969 Gibson EB-3 I purchased new. I saw Jack Bruce playing an EB series bass (probably an EB-0) I just had to have one :)

6. BMBassman

BMBassman

Jul 16, 2010
    @jjjk - I've just been looking at the L2000's. Pretty impressive.
    @McBassHead - Do you still have it?

7. A Univox SS with black nylon flats.......... hated it

8. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South

I would guess the younger you are or the more recently you started playing, the likelier you are to have warm stories. I started playing in the late 60's when an 'entry level' bass was TRULY junk. Mine was a Heit violin bass....wouldn't make good fire wood.

9. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Brand new (I was 16) 1982Jetglo Rickenbacker 4001

10. jscottmsc

jscottmsc

Nov 22, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    First bass was a Yamaha BB3000S 4 string p/j config...black with gold hardware...I donated this bass to our church and they use it in the spanish speaking ministry.

11. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Jet black 01' Squire P purchased in 01. I still got it too. Needs new pups and face plate but that thing has the best neck I've ever played. It's lasted soooo long. It use to be my work horse but my 50s Classic has taken its place.

Cheers

12. RSNG

RSNG

Sep 6, 2010
    I started playing bass on my brother's Silvertone Danelectro. Definitely an entry level bass; but it played really nice, and it sounded good. He still has it.

I saved $150 and bought a used early 60s Epiphone Rivoli. This is the same a Gibson EB2. For $200, I could have had a beautiful early 60s sunburst Fender Precision. But, that was a lot more money, that I didn't have. And, at the time, I thought the Epiphone was cooler. I still have it.

13. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Mine was a Martin Stinger 4 string P/J config with a hardcase. Bought it for $65.00 off some kid in college that was hurting for money. I think it has a particle wood body. Imagine that! It actually plays really well. Great action, thin jazz neck. The p-ups are questionable at this point. I kinda want to mod it: p-ups, tuners, bridge, pots, the works. But probably won't try a refinish, as I like the beat-up look of this little guy.

14. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Silver Ibanez SR305. Loved it when I had it. Even said I would never sell it...until I started to actually play (and plug in) other bass guitars.

Still the lightest and most comfortable bass I've owned so far, though.

15. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    I had an Aria Pro II. Still have it actually, but I ruined it by trying to rip the frets out for a fretless conversion, and sanded the finish off of it and did all kinds of damage to it. It still plays, but it's pretty well destroyed. I keep it for sentiment.

16. Unfortunately I don't, along with my 1971 Dan Armstrong and my 1973 Rickenbacker 4001. I was young and stupid. Can't believe I sold those basses back in the 70's :(

17. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    After a couple of quick flings with a hofner galaxy and a fender p,my first bass that i briefly owned and loved was an early 70's neck-through Rickenbacker 4000,customised with a 2nd toaster neck pickup. It started a lfetime on-again,off-again love affair with Ric basses. Out of the multitude of basses i have owned over the years,that First Ric,as well as a Viellette-Citron 8 string are the 2 i wish i could get back,although i do own 3 really nice Ric's now.

18. Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy

Oct 23, 2008
    Oklahoma
    1977 Ibanez Black Eagle.

Still have it, but the pickguard was missing when I got it. I wish I could find one.

19. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    This isn't the actual first bass I bought but, it is the exact same model. Bought for $75 in 1977 along with a $100 Gibson Thor amp.