Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the region, May 24, 2000.

1. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    Bassists, tell me about your first basses!

Mine was a Hondo P-bass copy with an ugly pointy headstock. The body looked like it was dipped in white plastic and the action was an inch high. But, I wish I still had it, for nostalgia!

2. My first one was a Vantage of some sort, with a brown-wood body. I think it was supposed to look like a poor-man's Alembic or something. The bridge and one of the tuners fell apart in the case, all by themselves!

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    My first bass is my current bass, makes me feel inexperienced. It's an Epiphone Accubass Jr. It's good enough for now, but I'll be anxious to get a new one, but I won't sell it because I don't want to get nostalgic one day and not have it to look back on my beginning days.

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    my first bass (5 weeks ago) was/is a candyapple red/tortoise sehll pickguard Memphis P-copy. Not THAT bad really, but I wanted more. So I bought a real MIA JAzz last week. yeah, a bit excessive, but I wanted it.

------------------
    Sean

5. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Acacia:
    my first bass (5 weeks ago) was/is a candyapple red/tortoise sehll pickguard Memphis P-copy. Not THAT bad really, but I wanted more. So I bought a real MIA JAzz last week. yeah, a bit excessive, but I wanted it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A 'Real MIA Jazz' is always worth having.

My first bass was an Eros Jazz bass copy (this would be about 1977ish). It was OK.

6. dbf

dbf

Apr 28, 2000
    I'm not sure my first bass even had a name, but I do remember running it through a "Hilgen" amp.

My first bass that had a name was a Fender Precision. Sunburst with tortoiseshell pick guard. Vintage 1968, brand new the year I bought it. Doh! What I wouldn't give to have that bass in the collection now.

Maybe we should start a new thread on the basses we stupidly let slip through out fingers.

7. My first bass was also a Vantage, but mine was actually quite good. It had double cutaway three piece body (walnut, maple, walnut), rosewood board, one P style pickup and Gibson Ripper style bridge.

Mine played well and sounded good. I never had a single problem with it - it was a very good start. This was 1980, so the only other low priced basses were cheap copies like Stagg, Como, el Degas, Vibra, etc... The Vantage was a very good alternative.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    As a reformed g#$^@^*!t, I owned several basses, but I wasn't a "real" bassist at the time, just had them around (I kick myself for letting that '75 blonde Fender J go...only paid $175 for it...ARGH). Once I made the move to bass (which I should have done YEARS before I did.....sigh), my first bass was a '79 MM Stingray. Still have it, it's in the middle of being refurbished, all I need to do is get the electronics back together and it's done. Don't play it too often, usually got one of my 6's slung over the shoulder, but once in a while I drag it out and pretend I'm Flea.......ccchhhheeeaaaayyyyeahright... [​IMG]

Peace
    Gard

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My first bass was a Brazilian - made Kondo brand bass. It was shaped like a Jazz bass and had sort of a green color which I didn't care for, although it was either that or nothing (I lived in a small town)It had a schaller - like roller bridge, although it had no rollers and the pickups were these cream - colored humbuckers with exposed polepieces and really high output, although I dodn't remember if it sounded great. I wish I still had it, as the body was quite well built and was made of some very good woods.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

10. chymel

chymel

Apr 16, 2000
    My first bass was a 62' Fender Jazz. Sold it in 74' to a guy I worked with in Houston,Tex. for $50. If you read this(you know who you are) I want it back.

------------------

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My first bass (after one I rented for the first 10 weeks of my career) was a bass my parents bought for my 15th birthday. It was a beautiful Peavy T-40 (I've commented about it in a few threads).

That thing is amazing...I still have it (though I play it less than 15 minutes a year!!!)

Let's see...it's been with me through my nasty drug habit (which has thankfully been totally kicked for many years now). It's survived being airborne for approximately 10 feet! It's been stabbed! Several times! It's been through probably 100s of bands...(okay, I know a joke could fit here...)It's taken on a personality of its own.

Now it sounds like $#!@%, it's awkward to play because the neck is always warping, it's just not a very good bass. But, I WAS A BASS VIRGIN WHEN I GOT IT...

Nope, wouldn't get rid of that thing for the world...

12. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    the region: HOLY CRAP!!! When I first
    read this thread, I choked on my beer! [​IMG]
    My first bass was also a Hondo p-bass
    copy with the same ugly pointed
    headstock. That's the one I learned on.
    When I finally bought a respectable bass,
    I re-shaped the body, and the headstock,
    gutted it, and fixed the various
    neck/action problems....Man, I loved that
    thing, then it "got burned up" in a fire.
    [​IMG] I wish I still had that thing..I felt
    so "at home" playing it. AARRGGHH!!!

------------------

Well...I should be practicing, not
    typing..so....Bye, -MR

[This message has been edited by mr2112 (edited May 24, 2000).]

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chymel:
    My first bass was a 62' Fender Jazz. Sold it in 74' to a guy I worked with in Houston,Tex. for $50. If you read this(you know who you are) I want it back.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...caramba!

My first was a '72 Christmas present from my parents...a candy apple red Epiphone($109); oh yeah, I still got it!

14. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    My first was a Sekova "Beatle" bass.Got it in 67 i think.It was trans red with RW BD white body/neck binding and white motto PG.It was real pretty.It sounded great and i regret selling it to this day.

15. bassphreakz

bassphreakz

Mar 19, 2000
    My first was a mid 70s Univox. It was a short-scale that used to be sunburst but lost most of its paint before I bought it. It was a decent bass, but I don't care to much for short-scales. I played it through a Fender Squire 15 (yes, a guitar amp). I think I sold it for $70. I wish I hadn't sold it. *tear.

------------------
    When I was a young boy...
    [​IMG]

16. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I still have my first bass, and i've been playing for just under 36 years now. It's a 1964 Hofner 500/1 Beatle Bass in excellent condition. My mom bought it new for me in early 1965. It has strip tuners, three piece neck, small pick-up surrounds and the long tail piece. I don't gig with it anymore because i'm concerned it might get damaged. It's still in amazing condition and I've only used Hofner/Pyramid round wound strings on it for the past 20 years or so.
    Now I play it in the house usually when i'm going to be sitting around watching TV for a few hours.
    Cheers
    PS - I've gone through 6 cases over the past 36 years. I hope and trust the current one will be the last one.

[This message has been edited by bassman (edited July 15, 2000).]

17. Mine was a Yamaha RBX350. Great bass for a beginner...Well constructed. My four year old son has inherited it, and I'm trying to teach him to play. He knows the open strings, but can't hold the thing on his lap yet, so he just lays it on the floor and plays it like a lap steel.

--Len

18. SirBumpsAlot

SirBumpsAlot

May 25, 2000
    My first bass which I am still waiting on is an Ibanez GSR200, in pearl blue and I bought some Earnie Ball Super Slinky strings for it. Is this a good choice for a first bass?

19. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chymel:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D'OH!!!!!

20. It was a Phantom, red with a pointy headstock. A couple days after I bought my F bass, It (the phantom) fell and the neck broke. I still have the body.