Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your first original in a band!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What was your first original in a band like? How experienced were you all? And be honest...was it in a garage?

Also...the more experienced members have to share at least the decade it was written in. None of that "a while ago" stuff!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The first original I ever played in a band would have been somewhere around 1983 or 1984. Yes, we played it in a garage.:D

But we did eventually have gigs!:bassist:

3. my guitarist hates covers. everything he does is original. it made it really fun for me, considering i came into the band three years too late. (before it was a guitar/drum band)
    we still don't have a singer!

EDIT: we were gigging within a week. not bragging, he just had gigs lined up before he met me, so i just kind of jumped into the band! as for experiance, all 3 of us have been playing for a long time, so we sounded pretty good, considering the fact we had only been jamming for a week before!

Charllie

4. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    Technically, the first original that can be connected to what's now Unprepared was thought up by our current guitarist and myself in his basement in '97. We wanted to do an original song for this talent show at our high school so we put one together. I totally forgot how it goes now, and the only tape of the show was lost by the teacher who put the show on. Fast forward to about a year and a half ago, when our original guitarist was playing this riff in our rehearsal space (the basement of this restaurant owned by the drummer's parents) and we just kind of built around it. It ended up being the first song on the demo.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It was in Jerry Morris' back yard with Mike Martinez. I was 12 or 13 years old and in the 7th grade.

It was called "Passing By" and was a very simple song that went from C to G for the verses and B C G for the choruses with a "solo" working off of B C G towards the end of the song following the:

Intro(V) V C V C Solo(C) C

format.

I think I still have the lyrics written somewhere.

6. Ahh yes, it was about a year and a half ago. We still have a crappy recording of it. Decent song, actually.

Oh, and we play in a furnace room. Drummer moved the furnace to the corner, soundproofed and repainted walls, moved drumset in, voila!

7. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Me my brother and a friend did some recordings of something we kind of threw together, and it sounded pretty cool, it still needs work though. We also never play cover tunes and I think thats a good thing, it gets the creative juices flowing. :bassist:

8. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Came up with our first original based off a free form jam. It has a very simple bassline, but it gives me room to improv which is nice. And of course, the jam all started with my bassline :p

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The first original song I played in a band, yes--a garage band-- was "Behind Blind Bars".

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I USED TO BE IN A BAND WE WERE KALLED BLINK 183!!111 OMG! IM SCOTT!

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I did covers with the occasional original for the first 8 years I played.... in 88-89 I hooked up with a freak and drunk and we became Sprout. It was a fun ride.... we had a bit of a skinhead following (which was wack 'cause we were into progressive to funk)

I ripped a demo cassette to MP3s
    Daily
    Stormy Day

god, the 80's were odd

12. My first original in a band is called "Mr. Slippyfist", our self-titled song. We all kinda sucked, but we decided to make a band anyway and we ended up kicking out the drummer (but have a new one lined up). Anyways, if you wanna check it out, it's all instrumental and you can tell why we fired the drummer. www.sentryelite.com/mrslippfisttake3.mp3

Peace,
    Tyler

P.S. Yes, we recorded it in my garage.

13. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Mine was really bad and the chord progression was C, G, D#, A#. Sounded alright at the time. Not so much anymore though.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My current band is my first/only band ever, and we have been together for about a year. Our first original is still in our playlist, its not suepr duper but its decent. We play in my basement.

It can be heard here, its called Suburbia. www.purevolume.com/figjam

15. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    My first band was a rather trashy nu-metalish band. I was the only member of the band who could really play, but it was still fun (and I got to take all the solos since we only had one guitarist). I actually went back and recorded some of our songs with GarageBand last semester and over the summer. You can hear the one I'm actually kinda proud of here at icompositions.com. The song's not much (it's the same chords throughout), but I kinda went to town on it with production and made it sounds decent.

16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I joined a band a couple months ago. 3 of the 5 people in the band have been together for many years so they have a bunch of songs already when I started playing with them.

I picked up a recorder last month, and the following link is the first serious recording I tried to do. We were in the lead guitarist's cellar so I guess that would make our recordings basement tapes :)

Here's a link if anyone's interested: the Klimb

17. first band was "That Other Band". We played at our schools Block Party about 1.5 years ago. Our setlist was

Ramones-Bliztkreg Bop (It was london calling, but guitar player broke pinky the day of the show! We needed power chords, and fast)

Instrumental #1 (I forget the chord progression. It was actually a pretty easy song, but the ending was weird.)

Sex Pistols-Anarchy In The UK (Oh man. We messed up. Badly. We had a singer come on that did not reherse with us. I had to sing because she didn't know when the solo or bridge happened. I still kinda cring when I hear that song)

18. I'm in the process of writing one for the school rock band for a statewide battle of the bands thing.

I'll let you know how it goes next week. :D

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My first band was called The Indicators, and they're still going strong today. It was great experience. I was the weak link in the band, which is something that I recommend to all noobs, because my playing got better and better. Instead of showing me how to play the songs, I was told what key and what chords they were in, so my neck knowledge was put to the test. I'd been playing for 2 months when I was told that I'm in a band. Dave knows Mike Goldman, and at 6', 200+ lbs. with a black belt in Judo, he can be very convincing! :ninja: We recorded an EP entitled "All Fun and Games Until Someone Puts an Eye Out". One of my ALL TIME favorite band experiences! Man, I love those guys! BTW, our drummer was Dave McNair from Magnapop. He's still with them.