Your first original tune...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassIsBest, Aug 13, 2000.

1. BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    My bassist kin: we talk about other peoples songs and riffs all the time. I wanna know how long it took each of you to come up with your first tune. You know, how long after you first started playin? a day? a week? a month? year? I still haven't! just been playin everyone else's tunes and working on reading and listening. Only been playin for about 4 months or so, so dont mock me! so tell me...
  2. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    about 3 weeks after i started
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    3 weeks, huh? I couldn't play anybody's tune for about the first year & a half of my "career"(I'm talking a whole song beginning to end...not just licks, riffs, etc). Anyway, as I've mentioned before, I had/have absolutely NO natural ability in regards to playing music.
    Anyway, like most, I had a lotta grooves/chord changes laying around the house. About 4-5 years ago, I landed in a band that wanted to do ONLY originals(we did, like, TWO covers, "Ain't No Egos Underwater" by The Aquarium Rescue Unit & something by the Peppers, I think it was "Knock Me Down"). Anyway, I bought a 4-track & began piecing some ideas together into a COMPLETED tune. My first "real" tune had an intro, verses, choruses, bridge, & ending tag. I wrote the bass line first & then added the guitar chords; I mentioned the "feel" of each section to the drummer & let the vocalist write his own words(he was "funny" that way).
    I wrote the tune with a horn section in mind; we didn't have a horn section, so the guitarist & I did this "cool" chromatic lick together in unison. The tune was primarily an R&B-ish Funk w/ a Hip Hop-ish/Rock chorus.
    The tune was called "Mix It Up"'s about the world eventually being filled with people of ONE color(I wonder what we'll fight/argue about whenever that happens).
    So, the answer to your question...I wrote my first tune 23 years after I started playing. Told you guys before that I was slooowwwww!
  4. Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    The first bass I purchased was a Kent Slammer bass (paid for by delivering Chinese food). The day I bought it I brought over to my friend who played drums. I plugged it into his stereo and jammed. I was probaly off and out and unlistenable but it was a riff I was trying to structure it and it was original. More important is that my memory of the feeling I had plucking those first few untrained notes is the same I get today when I'm writing 15 years later. Even after getting a music education.

I think you create from the begining, knowingly or not.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I wrote my first complete song with lyrics and chords when I was 17 or 18, 2 0r 3 years after starting to play. Before that, I would basically write a new "song" every time I learned a new chord, but I don't consider them actual compositions.

I'm moving this to Miscellaneous.

Will C.:cool:
  6. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    what, we're allowed to write? hehe
  7. Jr. High talent show, 1983.
    My first band, Xiphoid Process did a set of orginals. The big hit? Backseat Magic! Oh yeah, baby!
    Guitarist and I were wearing parachute pants, studded bracelets and zebra-striped "muscle shirts" -sexy.

Before we were good enough to copy other people we wrote our own "songs". They were terrible obviously, but a lot of fun.

-The kids of today should defend themself against the 80's!
  8. Col_Forbin

Aug 14, 2000
    i had been playing guitar for a couple months but wanted so bad to play dad had one and it was in storage...when we moved into this house and all our stuff was out of storage, the first thing i did was pick it up and try to play...i sat up against the wall and figured out the Duke of Earl LOL i don't think i actually wrote something for another year and a half was a mini bass solo for lead and rhythm bass...called Thunder (it was raining when we wrote it...) when we got our first band together i wrote a song called "What's Wrong With This Picture?" a metal song about the fall of society LMAO...or the interpretation as seen through the eyes of a 15 year old...i still remember some of it, the intro was an excercise my first teacher had written out for me
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I still remember the first tune my band pieced together, waaay back when. Never named it though. All i know was it was over a year ago, so at LEAST 6 years after i started. It was actually a good song, but the guitaring was SO good you couldnt sing to it. Whoops.
  10. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Man, you're really trying to revive a few brain cells! My first attempt at an original song (well, I wrote the bass part) was a typical early '70s metal dirge we called "Daughter of Death". I still have a tape of it (geez, what were we thinking?). I have worked mostly with others; I've only written 3 songs on my own in over 25 years (hey, about the time I'm ready to buy the farm, I might have enough for an EP!). I've done some collaboration (mostly on choruses and lyrics), but don't consider myself much of a composer. I did write one song about my future wife, called "Strange Fascination"'s a long story...I had a girlfriend at the time...
  11. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I was writing songs when I was VERY young, so my musical ability had to catch up with my writing ability. As soon as I knew how to play a scale on a bass...I was using it to write. I still would rather use a keyboard though, to work out a song.
  12. I wrote my first tune when I was 17."Invisible" It was bassically a ripoff of a Cars tune, but I thought it was a masterpiece!
  13. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I did a lot of writing in high school, before I took bass very seriously. I wrote mostly on piano at that point. The vast majority of the "good" writing I do is collaborative. I write best as part of a team, mostly with my best friends (who happen to be my guitarist and keyboardist.)

The first song we wrote together was back in 1986 (or so) - we wrote a tune as a farewell to the minister of our church. It was fairly simplistic, but it was heartfelt and sincere. John played keyboards, and Scott and I played a recorder (!) duet in the middle. And it had killer 3-part vocal harmonies (some things never change.) ;)

After that, we started writing more material together and started to learn to play other instruments. Scott picked up guitar, I grabbed a bass, and we started writing fully arranged songs. We formed that into our first real band, "Outcry," which was sort of a punkish hard rock 5 piece. My first songwriting as a bass player was in that band - but (I hope) it's come a long way since then. :)