1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your first pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jakeman, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman Soundman's Nightmare Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    I see a lot of threads posted by people asking where to start with effects. Figured it might be interesting to see what pedals everyone started out with - could maybe give some ideas to those seeking guidance. What say you? What were your first effects pedals? What drew you into experimenting with effects in the first place? Here’s what I started with:

wbOfc1s.jpg

2. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    Been a long time, but pretty sure my first was either a DOD Death Metal, or a Boss CEB-2 Bass Chorus.

Death Metal is long gone, and I've still got the Boss, although it's not in regular use any more.

freedomryder, Seashore and Jakeman like this.
  3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I think my first pedals were a TC Electronic PolyTune and an MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter. That MXR was kind of a one trick pony...but it was a pretty gosh darned good trick. I got rid of it ages ago when I got into Source Audio gear. I replaced the tuner, too. With the "mini" version that has no battery compartment. I gave the full size unit to a friend. Now the mini is gone, too. It was just replaced by a Strobostomp HD.

Jakeman likes this.
  4. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Boss Super Chorus followed by a DOD Classic Tube Overdrive. The chorus was a waste of money. I still loathe chorus to this day. I will never forget how powdery blue the Super Chorus was.

Yellow Bang66 and Jakeman like this.
  5. Appalachia Mark

Appalachia Mark Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2019
    EHX bass Big Muff. I don’t have it anymore but it’s still an amazing pedal and basically started me down the rabbit hole.

Jalan and Jakeman like this.
  6. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    My first effects were a boss bass chorus, and an blue tube rt-904. I really liked the blue tube, wish is still had it.

7. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    When I was 16 I got an EHX Bassballs envelope filter with very little idea of what to do with it, or why. A ridiculous piece of gear for the type of musician I am, but I was exploring.

AudioTaper and eriky4003 like this.
  8. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Back in the day

s-l400.jpg

Jakeman, westrock and AM-B like this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

A DOD 670 flanger in 1981.
    DOD 670.jpg

Jakeman, ruju and The Owl like this.
  10. It was two, an Ibanez Chorus and an Ibanez Tube Screamer.

11. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    dqnvmugrulfaennoawng.jpg

Jakeman and kleinenenten like this.
  12. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    Aguilar Tone Hammer DI and TLC compressor.

FDR Jones likes this.
  13. EHX Bassballs for me back in '79ish. Used it as my 'sound' but probably just jealous of my brother (guitarist) colouring of tone with effects. After I realized my bass sounded great with DM Super Rounds, I ditched effects for almost 30 yrs!

14. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    Original Cry Baby.

15. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    rs3_copy0_lg.jpg
    Shimano DX. Best pedal EVER!

Oh wait. Wrong pedal.

ae00-32902.jpg

Here ya go...

amper, Jakeman, JC Nelson and 10 others like this.
  16. My first pedal was a simple one knob DOD preamp. It worked great with my Sunn 200S head. My first "effect" pedal (and second pedal overall) was a chorus pedal. I can't remember the brand, but it wasn't a big name. I bought it in 1984 from a record/instrument/clothing store appropriately called The Music Shop. The pedal was metal, painted matte blank with lime green lettering and pin-striping, and a frosted red on/off LED. I can't remember exactly, but I think the switch was the basic exposed button style. I think I paid all of $30 for it new way back then and thought it sounded awesome. I wish I still had it.

17. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    s-l300.jpg OIP.PyZvAVvEF4T7PwfqgOw7TAHaHF?w=210&h=201&c=7&o=5&pid=1.jpg

Bob_Ross and Jakeman like this.
  18. Boss BF2 Flanger. A guy at school was selling it for thirty bucks and I bought it because I thought it looked cool. I had no idea what it actually did. I sold it at some point, can't remember why or when, but I bought another a couple years ago just out of nostalgia.

Skerrvydog and King Weapon like this.
  19. Probably a Boss Metal Zone. This wasn't for bass. I don't remember when it went away. First one I got for bass was an EHX Metal Muff but that didn't work out. First pedal I tried and loved enough on bass to make it "part of my sound" was an Emma TransMORGrifier that I still use. First strictly utility pedal that wasn't about "oooh fun with knobs" was a Boss NS-2 noise gate, and it's still the first pedal in my signal path.

crguti and fretter like this.
  20. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA