Your fretboard preference...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashton, May 1, 2002.

1. Rosewood

59 vote(s)
  2. Maple

86 vote(s)
  3. Pau Ferro

26 vote(s)
  4. Ebony

83 vote(s)
  5. Phenolic (ok, it's not wood, but it's fretboard material)

12 vote(s)
  1. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    i was just wondering what everyones fav fretboard wood is. mine is Rosewood, i dont like maple it feels too slippery for me. Rosewood also sounds more deep and hits you whereas Maple just seems like a shallow weak sound, no offence to anyone who likes maple, only my $0.02 here.

i wont include all types of fancy wood in here cause i dont know them all, if i did i doubt there would be enough room for em all and id like to keep this simple. im not sure if i have played any 'exotic' fretboards, and even if i did i cant remember them sorry, Rosewood is my fav for now......who knows if ill change my mind.

2. I haven't tried it but there is this thing called "purpleheart" which I'm sure someone has tried...
  3. That was a tought choice. I voted Rosewood 'cos I believe that 5 out of my 6 basses have Rosewood fingerboards - 1 might be Ebony but I'm sure it's Rosewood too.

My Fender P-Bass has a maple neck which I love dearly. I would probably have liked to get some more basses with maple fingerboards - but Spector don't do them!!! Maybe I'll have to look at Sadowsky basses for a while:D :D
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My preference is whatever looks best with the particular color/wood of the bass. IME, fretboard wood makes no significant contribution to tone on a fretted instrument.
  5. I voted rosewood, although I'm a fan of ebony as well.

I feel the fretboard species plays a big role in the overall tone of the bass, especially when you compare two different wood species that have sharply contrasting tonal variations such as maple and rosewood. I do think it's only one of many factors that make a bass good or bad, such as electronics, hardware, body woods, and strings, however it does play a part.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If you get the chance, you MUST play a bass with a bacote' fingerboard. Whooo! Also, I dig maple and the harder rosewoods, like Brazilian and Madagascar rosewood.
  7. My vote goes to Maple, but not just maple, Birdseye Maple as seen on the Music Man basses. My friend has a Sterling with a Birdseye Maple and it is the most wonderful neck I have ever played on.
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    My preference is for the fingerboard the instrument has when I bought it.

IMHO body/neck/fingerboard material means squat if you dont like the instrument. Ive played Squiers that were excellent and a Fodera I really didnt like.

Try a bass, dont like it? Move on.
  9. I really love the feel of an ebony board. I have a fretless and a fretted with an ebony board...and I dig it! The way the bass sounds and how my fingers feel on it rules.

But a close second would be a maple board. That honk is kinda cool on an old bass of mine.
  10. With the right color bass (Candy apple red with white pickguard, or a nice Sadowsky sunburst), maple looks absolutley beautiful. I dont have much playing time on one though. So I'll go with rosewood because it's what I'm familiar with.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This has been done at least 10 times. And I am moving it to Basses.
  12. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    hrmmm i'd vote for purpleheart.
  13. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I'm in love with Birdseye Maple, Maple, Ebony and Phenowood boards! :D I love bright sounds
  14. I have to cast a vote for a wood that's not on the list: wenge (pronounced "when-gay"). It's the standard Warwick fingerboard wood. I used to think the "Warwick Growl" was a function of the body woods, pickups, brass frets, etc, but then I bought an MTD Beast 5 with a wenge board, and it has that growl too.

So I think the Wenge board is Warwick's secret weapon.
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Pau Ferro second.
  16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i love the purpleheart on my GT-7... it blends in real nice until you start digging in hard... then it gets super gritty. i love it:D
  17. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I know ebony is the best sounding wood for a bass neck, due to its balanced sound, lots of high and lows.....

but I love maple:rolleyes:
  18. Well I like Maple as long as it is birdseye. Then I would have to say second would be ebony.
  19. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Ask Woodchuck about my streamer stage one:D;)
    Last December I got a Status 6 string (graphite neck; phenolic figerboard) and it sounds awesome...
    I never liked those synthetic materials for any kind of musical instruments but now....:confused: