Your Gig Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbass_5, May 25, 2009.

1. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    And in LA too!

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That is why you always buy based on your rig...that must be your number one consideration when car (or truck) shopping. :spit:

jazzbass_5 and LowActionHero like this.
  3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    boy. just looking at all of these talkbass member's beautiful bass rigs, is starting to make me think that we might just be a bunch of snobs................................ (or at the very least, 'obsessive geeks'). ;)

4. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I haven't any fotos of my rigs... sorry.

Thunderfunk 550 + Acme Low B2 - Worship
    Mesa Walkabout Scout - Quick jams with folks around town, heck throw a GS112 in and it'll do almost any gig.
    Thunderfunk 750 + DR Bass 2460 or 2 Aggies GS112's or Berg Htt322 - Small/Medium gigs
    Eden Navigator/Crest CA6 + Berg Htt 322 or DR Bass 2460 w/2 GS112's when I need to get loud, like stupid loud.

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  5. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    PC160531.jpg

Mine is:
    SWR Bass 750 (pre fender)
    SWR Goliath Jr. III
    David Eden D410T
    I am currently trying to sell the Goliath Jr. i have found that it is overkill for the gigs im playing right now and i cant really justify having it when i need money like i do.

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  6. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Primary: GK 1001RBII, Eden 210XLT & 210XST

IMG_0319.jpg

Secondary: GK 110 RBII, Bag End Q10XD, Sunn Coliseum

IMG_1578.jpg

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  7. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Oh, thanks a lot. That makes me feel much better. :spit::D Truth be told, when I assembled that particular rig we owned a GMC Yukon XL. It took a big dumperoo, so we kicked it to the curb. Now I'm pretty much limited to one cab on a gig. Life is tough. :(;)

M. M.

8. HPIM1688.jpg
    HPIM1690.jpg
    HPIM1691.jpg
    HPIM1693.jpg
    HPIM1697.jpg
    HPIM1683.jpg

Ibanez SR505, Eden D410XLT, Carvin BX500, DigiTech BP50, DigiTech Metal Master, 1934 Czech Upright,

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  9. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Ok... here's my main gigging rig (see attached files). I wouldn't change a thing!

10. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    IMG_0006-crop1.png

I play a 4 string with R.Cocco nickel round wounds, and a 5 string lined fretless with La Bella tape wound strings. Both basses are passive with jazz pickups and almost identical in output. I use my 5 string 99% of the time playing in a blues band (with some classic rock mixed in), and I use it in my weekly jazz jam sessions. I did own a 6 at one time but not now.

Generally speaking, more than I'll ever need. I use one cab for the jam sessions where we have 2 saxes, 2 guitars, and drums. Gain is set around 1:30-2 o'clock (just shy of clipping), EQ is flat, VPF filter at 9:00, and volume around 9:30. For gigs with our blues band (drums, 2 guitars, singer) I've used one cab playing to an audience of about 120 where my amp is EQ'd the same but no VPF, and volume set to about 11:30. If I'm using 2 cabs in the same room, my volume is usually between 9-9:30. You can see my volume setting in the pic (far dial on the right set to 9:00). Not much more on the volume in a venue with an audience of about 300. Any venue larger than this and I'm usually going into the PA, so the volume is back down.

Aside from volume, the tonal range suits my taste for I always got along with 12" speakers. One cab would have suited me fine for most of my playing situations, but two are outstanding.......my opinion of course. ;) Lastly, the whole rig is compact and light making it is very easy to transport.

Hope this helps.

11. JLP

JLP

Mar 15, 2008
    :help:Nice Rig. Question? What does the preamp do for you? I have the same amp w/ BXT 410 cab:help:

12. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Thanks. By mixing and matching this gear I can pretty much cover any situation likely to be encountered. Actually this is my wife's house. She lets me live here and rehearse here and store all my bass stuff here as well. How cool is that? :D

M. M.

LowActionHero likes this.
  13. DamienLangkamer

DamienLangkamer

Apr 18, 2009
    London UK
    At the moment not a lot, its footswitchable between that preamp and the pre in the amp, so i would have a different tone dialled in or a bit of drive and swap when appropriate, but i'm finding that i use it less and less because of the hassle involved.. it has a footswitchable graphic eq on it too so it's potentially three different sounds, but im a bit lazy so i only plug it in when i really need it. i used to have a bxt 410 instead aswell, but i swapped it for the bergs because theyre lighter and i can use one for smaller gigs, its an amazing sounding rig though.

14. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta

As you should be! :bassist:

Corbusier likes this.
  15. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Carvin R1000
    Carvin V210
    Both cabs are 4ohm

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  16. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    ha, just posted this elsewhere, but

3555446824_6da7f1778b.jpg

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  17. JLP

JLP

Mar 15, 2008
    Yeah,I love the rig but very heavy. I usually get help for the cab. Are your cabs similar? I,m not familar w/ them.

18. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    kevwithmikestand.gif

Couldn't find a better pic but it's there if ya look for it.

Alembic F1X
    DBX 160XT
    Crown K2 (Purple even!)
    (2)Eden 410's

19. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    jazzbass_5 likes this.
  20. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Full rig.....
    Samson power conditioner
    Sabine tuner
    Shure ULXP4 wireless
    Mesa Boogie 400+
    Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1200

About all I would change is to have a rack for the 400+ with a little more room for air circulation. I don't have any overheating problems so it's not too high on my list of things to do with my $$$$.

Everything else is exactly what I've been looking for as far as power and tone. I tried to downsize several times but have finally realized that this is about as small as I can go for what I need out of a rig and that the size/weight is a sacrifice that I have to deal with.

IMG_2449.gif

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021