1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Gig Spam?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I used to email around a simple text spam to pub, clubs etc to try to elicit responses to get gigs. It has been moderately successful and I could keep my band gigging about 4 times a month (which is what we wanted) using that method. Today, I stepped it up a notch by putting the text into a jpeg with some graphics. I think it looks way more pro.

dclogo6-1.jpg

Anyone else do this kind of thing? Care to share with us what you spam venues with?

Edit: I did just a quick job on this one. If my bandleader likes it, I'll sink more time into it to make it look better.

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Very nice..

Signature from Dick and a contact phone number.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks. Dick Cash is actually the name of the band and not one particular member. A phone number is a good idea.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually, I think MNAirHead's idea of putting a signature is a good one. It will make it look more personal. And I am giving you official permission to sign it for Dick :D

Smart TBers read the fine print. .,.,. . ,. , , . , . , ., . ,., ., . ,., . ,

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    This is the best I can do for a signature.

Better?

dclogo6-1-1.gif

6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Much better. Not sure you need both Dick Cash and the signature... the signature is very easy to read and a nice classy font.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Good point. It seems redundant to have the name twice.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    dclogo7.gif

9. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Perfect!

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks!

I put my number just under the signature as well. Just dont feel combfortable posting my number on the internetz.

Now the question is....

How do I send this jpeg in my gmail without it being an attachment or a url they have to click? I just want them to open the email and see the picture.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Nice! love this idea.

12. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I love the idea, but there is one thing to think about. A lot of club owners have switched to iPhones as their primary email reader and I'm not sure this would format well on their little screen. You might want to send test messages to your friend's/your iPhone to test it first.

13. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Yeah it worked for us in my last band!

We actually made a new spam "flyer" for each show and sent it to our mailing list!

14. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    There are some workarounds but I use constant contact. I am a marketing director/graphic designer and I have used most of what is out there and I like constant contact best. Its cheap when you split it between band members and based on how many contact names you have in your lists. That way you can send out pro looking emails that arent attachments.

15. vagus

vagus

Feb 8, 2009
    Denver
    mailchimp.com is free up to 500 or so subscribers, but mega huge companies like firefox use it too... Also - you want the text to still be text... Mailchimp or Constant contact have easy editors to make the email. The graphics are nice, but if they don't load they can't read them... For that style of email i'd go basic html with black bacground and white text with the images on the side. The built in templates and editors in mailchimp and constant contact make such a thing really easy.

- Developed email marketing systems for large online retailers. Still do some consulting, and personally use mailchimp anyway.