1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your go-to string setup: 4, 5, 6 or more

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikopita, Mar 7, 2008.

1. 4 String

94 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. 5 String

67 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. 6 String

14 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. more than 6

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. mikopita

mikopita Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Florida
    I realize that this type of poll/questionaire has been likely done ad nauseum, so I'm taking a slightly different angle with my approach. I'd like to know not only why you all prefer the string config that you do, but also what styles of music you play.

It seems that no matter what style I play, I go back to my 5's. I guess I'm a rocker at heart, but regularly play Jazz, R&B, Funk, Progressive and even Country (not my favorite... but they're paying gigs...).

I've owned quite a few 4 bangers: Fender, Roscoe, MTD, MMan, KSD, Aria Pro to name a few. It seems that the past several years I always end up playing my 5-strings. I've had a couple of 6'ers and a Roscoe 7 for awhile too, but always go back to the 5. It just feels 'right' to me, and allows me to evoke my full thought process better. I feel a deep urge to have access to the low D, yet don't care for drop tunings.

What say you all?

2. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    I Like 19mm spacing so I play with diffrent 4 bangers but after testing the Squier Active Deluxe 5 today @ GC this might change after I get the funds for it & @ <$300 the wait wont be long!

3. dystopiate

dystopiate

Feb 21, 2008
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    My go to has recently become the 4-string after a decade of playing 5s exclusively. I've found it more comfortable to play; I'm more articulate and faster as well. I do have a few 4s with alt. tunings as well, and may consider a detuner at some point. Also, as always, limitations can bring about the best in you.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    4 string. I had a dabble with a 5 years ago and a brief flirt with a six string but I'm a 4 stringer at heart.

5. N/A, I grab whatever I want for any given song. So far, I have fretted/fretless 4, 5, and 6 string basses. So...any given combo based on my desires at the time.

6. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Small guy. Guess its why I like 4s. I just tune down if needed.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    4 stringers mainly, play a wide variety of styles, but generally metal.
    Reasons for mainly 4's, it's just what I'm used to.

8. only 5's these days. I bought another Sterling 4 banger, but sold it again. (my 3rd one) I really like the bass, but whenever I have a 4, it just sits and collects dust. I'd REALLY like to try a 6'er, but I just got a fretless 5, and I need to "learn" how to play that first.:D

9. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    My 5'er has super tight spacing, so when I grab a four it's like I get to relax.

10. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I grab a 5'er for every gig I do. (except upright) I love having the low string in case a singer does a song in a different key, it makes transposing a little easier and helps retain the bottom end. I play jazz, rock, pop, funk, country and anything else where there is a paycheck at the end of the gig! I never wish that I was playing a 4 or a 6 string. I really don't have a use for either one.

11. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    4 string.
    I do have a nice fiver on hand if the need arises, but it hasn't in years.

12. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    normally this,
    DSCF0019.

or this,
    DSCF0003-2.

but sometimes this,
    DSCF0027.

& sometimes a combination of all three,

but tonight,, i'll decide when we're loaded in & good to go

:bassist:

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It all depends on the gig and venue.

If it's a pop gig, I'll play my P-bass, or my Fretless Jazz.
    If it's a jazz gig, i'll either use the Conklin or the Jazz.

I've got a Fretted 4, Fretless 4, and fretted 7.

14. Nowadays I find myself going for my Sei 7 string www.seibass.com

I de-fretted my Conklin GT7 when I got the Sei and that's my only fretless.

15. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I don't even own any four-strings... My go-to bass is my MTD 5er. I also have a couple of 5-string Line6 Variax basses for the studio, and a MTD 6-string as a back-up to my 5.

16. I prefer 4 tuned BEAD. I play mostly metal right now and I tried a 5 but I just couldn't get into it(I get confused enough with 4 strings sometimes). :)

17. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    my main bass is a 5 (peavey millennium BXP-5), but within the next month or so i plan to buy a 6-string because of how often i find myself wanting that high C string. so, 5 for now, but hopefully soon 6.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

For about 7 or 8 years, I was a confirmed 5 stringer. I enjoyed playing my fours, and my sixers, but five felt right.

Over the past 6 months, I have gotten more and more into playing melody, chords with extensions, and tapping.

Now, I feel more at home on a six, and I am currently wanting to get a seven.:bassist:

*edit* Forgot to add the styles I play!

These days, the only playing out that I do is church, we play mostly modern praise & worship choruses, with a few hymns thrown in. And our youth choir does mostly black gospel type numbers.

I also play a lot at home just for my own enjoyment.

19. 2Loud4You

2Loud4You

Jan 18, 2008
    Norcross, GA
    I only own 6 strings. They give me plenty of range and just feel the most comfortable. I don't even like playing a 4 anymore. I play metal in my current band but I've done acoustic based music, rock and dabble in jazzy stuff on my own.

20. I mainly play my five string Peavey Foundation live, at home I usually play a four string because I have one sitting beside my bed. I like the five more and I will play my six string mainly once it is finished.

lowsound