your gonna hate me, but i gotta ask......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fazziebear, Jan 17, 2005.

1. fazziebear

Jun 23, 2004
    Now i've read the really informative info on OHMs collated so well and explained so clearly. but it says you can use 2.666 ohms on a 2 ohms on a 2 ohm minimum amp, but does that mean that the load has to be balanced or is that a red herring

Why do people have conflicting info.

What i want to know is will a Yamaha BBT 500H 4 and 2 ohms amp take a peavey 115 4ohm and a ashdown 2x10 8ohm

The info on the forum says yes it will, but not in so many words.

but everyone else says no it wont,

then i spoke to a guy who said it took a 4 and 8 ohm fine for 3 hours and only got a bit warm, doe sthat mean it will be ok, or does it mean thta after the 300th time of using it, it will melt like cheese.

Please help, please, please pleeeeeeze.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A 4 ohm and and 8 ohm cab, used together, will yield 2.66 ohms, and so long as your amp will do 2 ohms, you'll be fine. Having the two cabs of different impedances, however, will result in twice the power going to the 4 ohm cab than the 8 ohm cab, and depending on their sensitivity ratings, will probably result in one cab being much louder than the other. That may or may not be desireable to your ears, but your amp won't care.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what eric said.

by the way, your yamaha amp isnt a " 4 and 2 ohm amp", it's an amp that can safely power a minimum of a 2 om load. Solid state amps can safely power any load abover their stated minimum. Only tube amps need the impedance to be matched.
  4. fazziebear

Jun 23, 2004

I love you guys.

cheers, i will proceed to play loud
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Eric is correct. Is it a 2 channel power amp? If it were me, I would avoid this volume problem and run a stereo configuration. Run the 8 ohm cab on 1 side and the 4 ohm on the other and then use the amp's gain knobs to balance them.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hopefully it is a stereo amp. that said, the other thing to cansider is the sensitivity of the cabinets in question. the 4 ohm cab will get twice the watts as the 8 ohm cab which will result in a 3dB (just noticable) increase in volume over the 8 ohm cab if the two cabs are the same sensitivity. However, if the 8 ohm cab is 3 dB more sensitive than the 4 ohm, they will sound just as loud. Except.........different cabinet voicings can make cabinets with identical sensitivities sound like the volume of the 2 cabs are different.

the point? ya never know till you plug them both in. one cab may get buried, or they may both sound the same volume.
  7. fazziebear

Jun 23, 2004

thanks for the advice guys, all is much more clearer