1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Guide to Shipping Basses!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DLemos, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    Greetings! I'd like to introduce myself, as a UPS employee, giving you the details you need to know about the company, or possibly: companies, that you ship through.

-With the warmer weather coming up, I think it's fair to start off by saying that the temperature inside
    those big long trucks you see, with your bass in it, can rise to about 35-45 degrees (Fahrenheit) above the temperature outside. 45 above the temperature outside is probably the hottest it'll get in there, until the sun decides to come a bit closer than those 93,000,000 miles of separation. Those trucks are basically massive greenhouses, so feel out the weather involved, and make sure not to cook your new '62 Precision.

-Boxes! What'll it be? Wood, or cardboard? Well this is a tough question, and it's mostly a gamble. If you go with cardboard, there's a chance that box'll be crushed by that 150 pound grill someone thought would look nice in their backyard. If you go with wood, it might get slammed around, and most likely dropped a lot more often, because you know- no one wants to carry a wood box around.
    My best piece of advice is to ship it in a wooden box with the best weight : strength construction, along with a handle on the side: think you're average guitar case. You don't want 100 pounds that'll get dropped, but you also don't want it to be made out of construction... paper.

-With all cases, make sure you cover the case with stickers that say "This Side Up", "Fragile" and so on. If the shipper needs to know something about the contents, let it be known throughout it's travels! Keep in mind: Not everyone knows what a Fender is.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Does shipping something Next Day reduce risk?

DLemos likes this.
  3. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    It would certainly reduce the time it spends under the truck's conditions- both in the transit and delivery vehicles. There's not really any speed increase in handling, it would just become a priority truck, putting it higher up in the queue; So it would go through the standard procedures otherwise. Edit: When it's put on the truck for delivery, it needs to be out by 10:30, so it would bypass the whole shuffling around in the truck all day, as the driver moves it back and forth to access other packages. I would say it is beneficial to use the Next Day service when it is prone to exposure of extreme weather conditions, assuming you can bring it out of said weather upon delivery.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Sub'd cause this should be fun

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021