Your Guitarists' opinion of your P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aussie Player, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I have noticed when playing with older guitar player they tend to smile and favor a P bass to the point that they speak favorably of it at some point.

I like my P bass because it is nice to play but the sound was never satisfactory to me as it is not articulate and I do not agree with anyone when it comes to cutting through the mix. They simply do not, meaning there are guitars that do it so much better including a Jazz bass (With the treble on full, bass on about 7 and tone down to about 3) an EB3 kills the lot of them and so would a MM with the tone down about 3-4.

The tendency for booming and blending notes loses me unfortunately but the Hartke and Marshall tube amps help bring out the best in what they can do.

Anyone else find this?

2. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    I play solid state heads (GK800RB) and I never have trouble hearing my P-Basses in the mix with loud guitars. Different amps/players/instruments interact differently with each other, so your experience may vary.

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    In re your thread subject: I could care less what the guitarists thinks. I don't tell him what guitar to play.

4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I hang with the large crowd that thinks that the P bass sounds 'meh, it's okay' in the bedroom, but just right in a mix.

5. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Chromes and tort. Problem solved. Next.

6. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Whoa - How big is your bedroom?

Mastermold, deff, Mickey666 and 22 others like this.
  7. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Been there, done that, False report.....lol.

FritzM and Geri O like this.
  8. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    That's my point, it fails in a live mix situation.

9. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Fair enough. :)
    In all seriousness, it's OK if P isn't working for you. So many other options, as you've stated.

10. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    That's why they love em - because they're inaudible and the guitar can solo all night and get girls after the gig without the bass player horning in on their gig... :)

But seriously, a deep wooly tone like the humble P bass (or the Rickenbacker which is what I gigged with) requires good amps. The old 100w POS Sunn head from the pawn shop won't cut it, even with a good cab. You need headroom and tons and tons of it. That's the only way to get good definition in those wooly notes without drowning everyone else out with the "wall of mud" syndrome.

A wooly tone will work fine live, you just need good equipment in the signal chain to do it. Don't ask me why I know all that.

Either that, or just get a G&L L2000, and that'll end the inaudible bass player problem for good and it'll never haunt you again. But that's a whole other thread....

L

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Murch, Rich67, Crispus and 8 others like this.
  11. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Well, only 2/3 of that crowd actually fit in, the rest listens from the hallway.

Wait a moment. I said it's just right in the mix. I never said it fails in a live mix situation, I said the opposite.

12. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    P basses have never sounded better in a mix for me. Could have been other factors though.

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    Mine loves my P bass. I like his PRS as well.

14. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    *couldn’t*

If the OP “could care less” that means he still cares, at least a little bit.

If he “couldn’t care less” that means he doesn’t care, not even a little bit.

15. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Unsweetened, highly-caffeinated Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    Finally, a voice of reason. But tort before Chromes. :D

Ronzo, Winton, B-Mac and 2 others like this.
  16. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Must be a Jersey thing, but it's all good.

shojii and PaulCISSA like this.
  17. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    I agree, although the original reply was alphabetically correct.

shojii and bobyoung53 like this.
  18. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    A P bass cuts through as easily as any other bass with the right strings, technique and signal chain.

James Jamerson sounded nothing like Mike Dirnt, but they both use(d) P basses.

That said, life is much too short to play an instrument you don’t really enjoy: especially considering how affordable a quality instrument is these days.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  19. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    muddy,,,,

20. Most guitarists are threatened by the word "jazz".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021