Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your habit?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stringtheorist, Jul 22, 2005.

1. stringtheorist

stringtheorist

Jul 14, 2005
    Just wondering how everyone here finances their gear habit?

I haven't bought much in the way of bass gear, but I've spent an a** load of money on studio gear over the past few years. For 5 years I worked as an outside sales rep for Gateway out of the Dayton store, but when they closed their stores I was forced to find new employment. Now I work as an IT Manager for a Leather and Licenced Sports Apparal distributer.

2. 6 month interest free at Long and McQuade in the summer!

3. I'm just good at spending moneys... :bassist:

I work construction, sometimes on site, more often than not in the factory- it pays ok, but by no means great, and it's not an ideal job for me... I like to be more... Mmmm!

Anyways over the last few months I have been spending my pay cheques on...

Fender American Jazz Bass $1800AUD
    Eminence Delta 12LFA $230AUD (imported)
    Gallien Krueger 800RB $850AUD (Second hand) (imported)
    Ampeg SVT410He $1000 (Second hand, needs a new speaker)
    Essex P/J Bass $200AUD (eBay)

I'm looking at selling the Ampeg cab, and getting an Eden 212XLT the Ampeg just isnt for me... That's it for a while, I need to start saving moneys for moving interstate / buying a house next year :)

4. stringtheorist

stringtheorist

Jul 14, 2005
    Good idea! Here's some of my gear I've had. I've sold most of it as now I've gone almost 100% software based production.

Korg Triton (61 Key) - $2600USD (now sold)
    Yamaha AN1x - $800 (now sold)
    Yamaha RM1x - $760 (now sold)
    E-Mu Orbit V2 - $599 (now sold)
    Roland SP808 - $849 (now sold)
    Mackie 24x8 - $2990
    Lexicon Multi Effects - $299
    TC Multi Effects - $249
    Alesis MultiVerb IV - $199
    Alesis 3630 Compressor x 2 - $129 ea.
    KRK RoKit Monitor x 2 - $399 pr.
    QSC RMX-1450 x 3 - $389 ea.
    Yamaha S115V x 2 - $399 ea.
    Presonus Eureka Mic Preamp x 2 - $489 ea.
    Various Condenser Mics

Ok, I'm tired of typing now, I'll add more later maybe.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    No offense to any TB members this may apply to....

But if you smoke a pack a day, it probably costs you $1300-$1800 per year, depending on where you live.

That can be a MONSTROUS rig. The bass player in my band is all suffering trying to save up a rig... and then $30+ goes towards his smokes every single week.

So... if people try to get you to quit smoking, but you dont believe in the health risks.... then friggon do it for your rig, brotha! :cool:

6. My bass rig = No starbucks. 3$ every day adds up pretty quick.

I bought my rig from playing in my band and interning!

7. Yup, the amount smokers pay is mental, especially over here, almost £5 a pack, thats almost $9 a pack, one pack a day is over $3000!

Anyway, thier problem, not really mine!

I work in a bar/pub part time and most of my gear has been bought with my student loan, so i will have to pay it back eventually!!

8. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am a student and I work my butt off in the summer 7-10 hours a day. I dont work when im in college.

You can get nice gear if you cut corners on stuff you do everyday. Smoking is a big one, dont do it. You'll save a lot of money. Dont eat out a lot. Buy a filter instead of bottled water. I used to buy the monterous cases of aquafina. Filter is as good and cheaper.

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Heres what not to do:

Get GAS, buy gear with credit card or spend all of savings, then figure out how to pay the bills or survive on what left in the bank. :meh:

10. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    Fender MIM Jazz-Free, gift when i was 12 yrs old
    Acoustic 100w 2x15 stack- Free from bassist in dads band
    Acoustic 4x12 cab-Free from someone who thought i should have it
    1976 Gibson Tbird bicentennial edition-free as graduation present
    Behringer BX3000 head-$200
    Warwick Corvette SE- 21st bday present

I dont get GAS, and i am very content with the gear and sound i have now.

I suck, dont i? :D

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    As I'm a hobby player (not playing for my mortgage), I can take all my gig money, and roll it into new gear. Been doing this for decades;) Which also measn I can sell/trade for things I find more interesting/useful sometimes too...I've also been fortunate enough to stay fairly musically employed, so that's good too;) Cause if I wasn't working pretty regularly, I really couldn't justify my arsenal very well.

"Working Gear-a-holic"

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Any time spare money comes in that isn't part of the general budget (such as over-payment on income tax and some royalties I have) it goes in a simple savings account that I keep for just that purpose. When there is something I need/want and I have the money in the account I buy it.

I also take the change out of my pocket when I come home every day and throw it in a quart milk bottle. The bottle will hold about $100 in change. When it fills up I put it in the account. Since I try to collect change every day it adds up pretty fast.

13. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    I can buy anything I want. I'm not married. :D

14. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    my regular day job pays the bills, and i'm in the national guard which finances my habits...tattoos, bass gear, etc.

15. Side jobs/consulting. 3 hours of side work puts lots of coin in my pocket. But I don't just spend it on bass gear, I spend it on many trips to Las Vegas as well. :)

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    One of my paychecks covers the bills, the other goes to "fun" stuff. I take 30% of the "fun stuff" check and put it into it's own account. The other 70% goes to keeping the wife and kids happy. I add any gig money and part time job money to the G.A.S. account to support my "habit"

Matter of fact, July and December are 3 paycheck months for me so I had extra fun!!!

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Dang it! I've not been budgeting for ink!

There goes my Schroeder 1210.

Dang it!

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

All gear pruchased has been the result of earned income from onstage performances.

19. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I buy cheap stuff.. and ask my mom&pop send me few bucks for macaroni and cheese afterwards :smug:

This summer's work has got me a Epiphone EB-0. Strung it with Roto flats, now it's quite a nasty banger for $200 :p - rest of the cash went into a Nikon D70 and a Apple iBook.

20. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I've paid for all my stuff by gigging of some type. Either as a bass player or soundman/roadie or as a sound/lighting contractor. And then selling gear I no longer want or need.

And like a few others have said, I've been doing that for a loooooong time!

None of the GAS money for new stuff comes out of my weekly paycheck.

dcr