Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your hi-fi setup ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Silverstar, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Hi folks ! :)

What is your equipment to listen to music ?
    Mine are Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, a Creek OHB-21SE Class-A headphone amplifier and my source is a PC with a Terratec 24/96 soundsystem in it.
    This is the best listening experience I can imagine. I listened to a lot of hi-fi stuff, the most expensive set-up going for 12000 $, but they all did not reach the level of overall soundquality and soundstage projection as mine.
    So what's your hifi stuff ?

Cheers,

Silverstar

2. i have a thirty five dollar wal-mart stereo. and headphones that i got for christmas. yay.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mine is getting old (almost 10 years), but it's quality stuff. Wonderful hi fi sound.

Yamaha CD-750 E CD drive
    Denon TU-210 AM/FM tuner
    Yamaha TD350 HX tape deck
    Rotel RA-830 power amp
    JBL X-3 cabinets.

4. My uncle has JBL X-3 cabs, very nice and open sound IMHO :)

5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    My PC
    JVC- RX8020 (USB reciever)
    Bose 301 speakers
    and I'm thinking about some sort of subwoofer.

I also use a Creative Zen for portable listening, as well as a pair of Sony headphones.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Phillips 312 turntable (Audio Techniques cartridge)
    Radio Shack CD Player
    Sansui 5000 Receiver (has an mic input jack with its own pre-amp that I plug the drum machine into)
    Luxman Cassett deck
    And the BEST audio speakers ever made: DCM Time Windows(1974, though they still make them)

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thats like a recording studio compared to my beast of a cd/tape player that myself and a mate salvaged from a skip, fiddled about with a bit and it was as good as new!

Bah humbug, whats the point in a CD player that can write 'hello' and 'goodbye' to you?

8. Jazz Ad

I chose them over a dozen others after a A/B test in a pro auditorium.
    I spent a lot of time on this stereo system.

9. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Carver pm-120 amp
    Alesis monitor two 3-way studio monitors
    Sony cd player that fastforwards like lightning!

Crystal:cool:

10. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    JVC JR-S100L receiver (27 years old)
    Expert 40W speakers (27 years old)
    Dual 510 vinyl player (25 years old)
    JVC TD-W318 double tape deck (6 years old)
    Pioneer PD-204 CD player (5 years old)

SONY CMT-CP1 micro system (3 years old - hooked to PC)

Age of units approximated

HIFI never was a huge post on the budget - but it sounds just fine...:)

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I love hi fi...but can't really afford it :)

What I have now though does the job
    2 celestion 100 watt bookshelf speakers(-90db sensitivity if i remember correctly)
    1 technics 100 watt 5.1 channel reciever
    1 rca cd player(that is really cheap, I should have never got)
    2 stanton str8-100 turntables

12. Lemme just check (I can't see it from where I'm sitting)

Pioneer A107 amp
    Philips CD723 CD player
    Akai AT-K33L radio
    JVC KD-21D casette player
    Akai AP-B100 record deck
    though 2 Warfedale Laser speakers

Okay, so all but the amp/CD player are really old, but they still sound sooooo much better than all my friends mini-systems, and they were free from friends or relatives.

That's my hifi, my computer has a SoundBlaster Audigy 1 soundcard and SoundBlaster 5.1 speakers. It just doesn't sound as good with rock music as my hifi. Is that due to the size of the speakers? I believe so.

However, classical mixed for the 5.1 is amazing.... with the orchestra around me..... pretty spooky.

13. I have a Sony CFD-Z110 stereo. And a blue CD player with one pair of large Radio Shack headphones and a small pair of White-Westinghouse phones. On the PC, it's Hewlett Packard computer speakers and an AC97 2 channel audio codec.

Sweet.

14. Jazz Ad

Strange.
    I expected to see big audiophile rigs, and most have regular mid market gear.

15. I can't afford a big audiophile rig - what I have is bottom end stuff, and yet it still sounds better than the midi systems, by a long way.

One day, I will upgrade. When I have the money. I know my speaker cable could do with changing to something decent.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    why buy expensive audiophile equipment when there's bass rig stuff to buy?!

i listen to all my music thru my computer's M-Audio delta 66 sound card -> omni studio -> Studiphile SP5b speakers.

17. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    My pops has a really really nice System. He was HEAVY into audiophile a few years ago.

He has 2 Mark 3 (Ithink thats the name) tube amps.
    Panasonic CD, and he custom made his speakers with special wood and components from Germany....don't know the specs.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Big audiophile rigs can be cool, especially if you have a space to dedicate for them.

I'm running systems in most rooms of my house and have a bunch of other gear sitting in the basement. I've gone for whatever seems to give me the sound I want in the location I want it. For example, in my kitchen I'm running in-walls with a passive sub with digital cable going into a Pionerr SS receiver. Using a Viewsonic digital/analog flat panel display with the Viewsonic TV tuner. Works quite well.

I do most of my listening in my office/bass room and space is at a premium. Here's what I use:

Soundcraftsmen DX4000 preamp
    Soundcraftsmen pCR 800 200 wpc amp
    Soundcraftsmen 2214 EQ
    Optimus Pro-LX5 monitors
    Miller & Kreisel (M&K) VX-7 MkII Compact Subwoofer

I'm a pawnshop hound and I think anyone would be hard pressed to find more bang for the buck. The Optimus speakers ($40/pr) have the Linaeum ribbon tweeters and sound very, very nice coupled with the M&K sub ($125), a little monster. The Soundcraftsman gear cost $80 (and people say you can't find deals anymore).

At less than $250, I can't imagine anything for under a grand new (probably even more) that could touch this setup. Add digital cable, a nice Sony cd player, hifi VHS and a DVD player and I'm set.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings