Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

your homemade cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Jun 1, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    hey,

just thought id like to see your homemade cabs.

please post pics and give the specs, cost and if you are happy with the results etc.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    [​IMG]

2 1X15 cabs loaded with Eminence Kappa Pro 15LFA's, (a very beefy speaker)... Internal volume of each cab is 3.9 cu. ft. as recommended, with AcoustaStuf filling. I used to have WinISD specs for the proposed frequency response with the added ports, but sadly the computer that they were developed and stored on has gone to it's Valhalla :(

I built these at a time when I played in a somewhat loud rock band... Oddly enough 1 was enough to do the trick :)

[edit: costs and results] I purchased all of the hardware through www.partsexpress.com and again, all costs and such are on the dead computer. The website has great prices on cabinet hardware and I took advantage of quantity discounts where I could, (handles, corners, ports, jack plates, jacks)... Sure, I ended up with extra hardware, But I can knockoff another cabinet anytime without purchasing more... Hmmm... maybe I really need a 1X12!!

-robert

3. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    that looks like a nice rig, how much did it cost you for those?

and just curious, i cant tell from the pic, is that carvin the R600 or the R1000?

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Roughly, figuring in wood and all, about $350 or $400... That includes all of the extra hardware, AcoustaStuf, and the makings for 12 ga. speaker cables...

That's an R600, pulled from an RC210 combo that I retired... I built the three-space rack case at the same time, figuring a space for a tuner or an RBI... just haven't gotten around to filling it yet :)

-robert

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    cost: about $200-300, but I got all the wood from a cabinet builder for $0. very pleased, use when needed with my Avatar 4x10.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Nice lookin cabs Tx. Is the 2x10 sealed? Or is that a shelf style port at the bottom?

I don't wanna post my pics now. I didn't spend any time or money making em look pretty......

7. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    oh come on petebass

please?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Pete--yep, that's what I did with that one. come on, show us your cabs bro!:D

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    But But..... sound matters more and, and, and.......aw OK.

I have some pics burried in a box somewhere. I'll hunt around when I'm at home next......

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    here's my current pa speakers. My manager built them a couple years ago, They sound really good, especially when I paid only 300 for the pair!

[​IMG]

11. What a ripoff! Your manager may be a nice guy, but he couldn't be bothered with a little background on cabinet building I guess. ;)

All the others: keep up the good work!

I have pictures, but don't have 'm handy right now.

12. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    sounds really good, a lot fuller than with just a 1 15...50 bux but friend had extra carpet for me.
    still need a black paint marker to collour the port.. can have it like shown or on its side like a monitor

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    They are some of the strangest speakers I've ever seen: do they really have two separate and unmatched tweeters, a 15" PA-style woofer and a 10" car audio woofer in each cab or am I imagining things?

Alex

14. I made a butt ugly 15" Box......I think its tuned incorrectly, Its got the shelf style port in bottom and a little acoustic matting inside,

Is it worth refacing it with circular ports?

Its an EV 15"er...........

15. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    11 years ago, when I came to the conclusion that a 1x12 cab which can handle at least 200W would be a smart idea, a cab like this simply wasn't available - today this is different, beefy 1x12s seem to be en vogue.

Although I didn't know anything about cab design, I bought a Celestion speaker (K12-200e, a PA speaker) and built a box with 2 rear ports around it. I chose port size so that I could use toilet paper rolls as port ducts...

But - surprisingly - this cab doesn't sound too bad, in fact I really like it. For some years I used it with a Hartke 2000, now I use it as an extension cab for my GK MB150 as seen in the picture.
    [​IMG]
    specs: 200W RMS, 8Ohm
    tuning frequency was around 70Hz in the first place, after modifiying the ports I brought it down to 50 or 55Hz, I don't remember...

16. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    i have a question matthies
    "how do you tune a box?"
    do you need a frequency meter?

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    there are some formulas for working it out but to be honest, I've found that WinISD does a decent job of it.

18. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    Great!! thanks peetebass!!!

19. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    hey petebass,
    ive noticed you and a few others have WinSD, where can i ge6 a copy of that? $$$?

im assuming SD stands for Speaker Design?

pardon me if i made myself look like an idiot