Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Ideal OD Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sean_w_mcgrath, Aug 23, 2005.

1. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Just curious what people think would be useful features on a bass overdrive pedal.

Just to keep it realistic, here are the limitations:

- 4 knobs
    - 2 foot switches
    - 1 two way toggle switch

Here is what i would like to see

Knobs: Volume, Drive, Tone/EQ, Boost
    Switch: toggles the EG post or pre the gain stage
    Foot Switches: On/Off, and Boost (The boost would be an independent boost so that it could be used whether the gain stage was on or off....kinda of like a built in boost pedal).

What does everyone else think?

2. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Oh, and it should be good for both active and passive basses! And true bypass

3. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I'm currently building my custom bass distortion so here are the specs:

a new kind of bypass using a special cool buffer ( ala pete cornish) but based on the true bypass idea

Based on the fulltone but with an added gain stage which would add a fuzzy kind of tone ( hard clipping stage in fact) which would be switchable

and with an extra clean loop like on the sparkle drive (schematic inspired by basstyra's big muff mod)

plus an extra clean boost so it would ahve 3 buttons, FX/bypass, OD/Clean boost , OD /distfuzz

voila!

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    In my experience, I found that I prefer simplicity over gads of cool features. This is with every effect, not just gain circuits.

My current favorite overdrive is my Blueberry.

If Hao could make a OD like the Rust Ride, but minus the slight noise issues that the Bright and Normal settings have, that would probably be a favorite as well.

5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The sparkle overdrive pretty much is my dream od pedal. Im having that and a compressor pedal built into a single space rack with an effects loop. They are velcrode in my rack with an Aguilar Ag500 at all times so, why not!

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What's the Blueberry?

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

It's the last pedal in the link.

Link

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! :hyper:

That is easily the best overdrive that I've ever heard. I was going to get a Keeley modded rat but this seems to be worth the extra dough.

9. Rad

Rad

Dec 5, 2002
    Bass overdrive/distortion with changeable crossover freqency. Four knobs: crossF, gain, lowVolume, highVolume (for band with effect).

Basically a multiband splitter with mixer and effect for each band. This concept could be used also for other effects such chorus/flanger, more bands could be added, etc.

This is something I would like to see in a multiefects processor. Unfortunately no manufacturer (to my knowledge) made such thing.

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    call musictoyz before ordering, last time I heard BJF had cut down on the product line and were only making the blueberry to special order.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'll second that and add that you call them regardless of what the website says about any product.

Both the Lotone and the Medusa that I ordered from them were "in stock", until they tried to ship my order, I imagine.

The Lotone was a month backordered at the time and the Medusa was discontinued all together.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    David, is there another OD pedal that you would suggest that's in the realm of the Blueberry?

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia