Your input highly appreciated..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matiya, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Hello,

I've become a part of the 5-string market just recently (and once again, after owning an SRX705 and Stingray5). I'm looking for a new 5 stringer around 800,900 EUR. I'll use it for pop (think of Michael Buble - Home), rock (think of Anouk - Nobody's wife) and a bit of r'n'b (think of many slow, smooth songs). I don't tap, but I like to slap a bit, every once in a while. There aren't that many basses available around here, so I could probably get me one of the following : Ibanez (DWB35,BTBs SRXs, SRs, K5, GWB2), bunch of Fenders, Cort Josh Paul Signature, maybe a Yamaha TRB1005, Warwicks, ..

I've already tried Lakland 55-0x series, which I found quite nice, but not quite me (a bit too punchy, a bit too bright for me). The weight of the bass is not an issue at the time. I like thin necks (which is why I found the Ray to be a bit too chunky for me) and the scale length is not an issue, even though I prefer 34'' basses. The string spacing is not an issue, even though I prefer it to be a bit on the narrow side (around 17mm).

I'd really appreciate any input. Thank you in advance!
  2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    steer away from Ibanez's they aint great.. i will be shot down but tis true

but then you say you want a skinny necked'5 so ibanez is all i can think of..
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If you can find a BTB 1005, which I believe are discontinued, thats a damn fine bass from all Ive read and heard. Even folks that trash Ibanez still seem to like that one ok. It is a 35" scale though.
  4. i don't think you can ever really go wrong with a warwick...and though i dislike ibanez, the SR series with barts are quite good.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    And wide-necked, and wide-spaced, by all accounts.

You might find Warwicks a bit too growly. I'd say your best bet is probably a P-bass. I don't find myself saying that often, but P's are the cornerstone of all three genres listed. You can make 'em smooth as silk, and rougher than a disgruntled biker with kidney stones. Try one out -- an MIA P just might do the trick.
  6. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Of the basses you mentioned try the Yamaha and the Cort Josh Paul. I had a TRB5 and it served me well for a long time. Not as bright as you found the Lakland to be and a nice player.