1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your Journey to Becoming the Bass Player You Are today

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cliffburtonfan, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,

I stole this from another forum I post on but I thought it would be cool to do it for bass players. Basically the story of what shaped you into the bass player you are today. I figured technique was the best place for it as the techniques we employ are strongly influenced by the players we listen too.

So my story,

I started as a guitarist in a ****** pop/rock covers band when I was about 13. We were stuck for a bassist so I jumped in. Didn't massively enjoy it at first but our drummer asked me to learn journey to the end of the east bay by Rancid.

Once I learnt that I learned 'Maxwell Murder' as well, folks started to pludit me as being good at bass and I started to think 'this is pretty cool'. I played with a pick and basically threw fills in absolutely everywhere known to man!

When I got to about 15 I discovered Metallica and Cliff Burton, I was blown away, I started basically trying to emulate the guy, throwing distortion and wah into bass solos etc, working up my chops until I could play pulling teeth. It was at this point I started playing with my fingers. The pop/rock covers band I was in morphed into a thrash metal band.

I started to learn some basic theory, pentatonic scale etc and started to branch out a little in my musical tastes. I discovered Billy Sheehan and became a bit of a 'bass shredder' at all our shows I would have a bass solo which was basically me wailing away on the bass. Today, I hate that ****. The next guy I discovered probably had more of an influence on me than most, Stu Hamm. I got into melodic tapping and incorporating the techniques that he used.

I started to throw tapping runs and sections into our songs and folks seemed to dig it so I kept working on it. The thrash metal band split up when I went to uni and for the 3 years I was there I was too interested in booze and women to really bother with my playing too much.

When I finished, I went travelling for 6 months and literally never touched a bass.

Since then I've started working a lot more on my theory and not worried so much about the flashy stuff. I've come on leaps and bounds if I'm honest, my choice of notes is better, my song writing is better, really has been a breath of fresh air to my playing.

I've also got into use of effects recently to create atmospheres and weird feelings, started listening to some tool and although I'm not fussed on them as a band, I love Justin Chancellors bass work.

Looking back on this, it's funny, I never got into slap at all, probably because the music I listen to is predominantly metal and rock where theres not much of it. I love Ryan Martinie's playing but it's just ont something I'm into!

Interested to hear everyone else's stories!