Your Kinda Punk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Aug 5, 2005.

1. I was thinking, and ya know, nowadays punk is such a broad genre. Almost everything that comes out these days is labled punk by someone or another. So I was just curious as to everyone's " punk " taste. What's your kinda punk stuff?

Myself, im not much of a mainstream punk guy. To me the greatest punks/proto punks were The Clash , The Velvet Underground/Lou Reed , Mott the Hoople, and the MC5. Close runnerups are the Damned , Black Flag , the Stooges and Bad Brains.

Also , in some sense , Zappa and Sun Ra were also punks and I dig the hell outta them.

So what's everyone else's taste in punk? Just curious that's all..........and bored.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm going to let a few serious posts accumulate before I derail this thread.

But rest assured, I will.

I like the Clash, The Refused, Mondo Generator, The Bad Brains by the way.
  3. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    My favourite punk bands are:
    NoFX, Bad Religion, The Offspring, The Who and Rancid
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Some Misfits (I half of the first album is produced OK, the other half is crap), The Clash for sure, Dead Kennedys, and The Minutemen fo sho.

Basically I like Punk that has something to seperate it from the pack. Misfits had Danzigs recognizable voice and the lyrics are great... sort of. Clash... everyone is great. Dead Kennedys, Jello's voice is a bit much but craaaazy cool guitar. Minutemen: Mike Watt. :D
  5. I'm not huge on punk by any means... But I didn't see anyone list The Romones at first glance.

6. Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    The Clash, Bad Religion and the little what I've heard of Dead Kennedys.

Most non-punk bands have more of that much needed punk-attitude than the "real" punk-bands.
  7. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm not too much of a punk guy, but I like Pennywise, some Bad Religion, Green Day (not "true" punk, I know), The Offspring and, if they are considered punk, I love Thrice. I wouldn't personally think of them as punk, but some people classify them that way.

EDIT: To the poster who said The Who, if they are punk then they go on my list too. I'm bad with genres.
  8. superjake

Nov 6, 2003

'nuff said.

9. Oh yeah, that reminds me, my friend said you were cute :D

But derail my thread and I shalt slit thine throat ya hopeless scalawagg!
  10. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    +1000000 on the Ramones

The Dammed, MC5, The Dead Boys, Iggy and the Stooges, Television, Descendents, ALL, Fugazi, Dag Nasty.
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The proto-punks: iggy & the Stooges, MC5, Flamin' Groovies, The Pagans,

The punks: Ramones, Television, Richard Hell & the Voidoids, Talking Heads, Clash, Buzzcocks.

The underground punks: Black Flag, Descendents, Minutemen, Bad Brains, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr., Angry Samoans, Fleshies

The indie-emo punks: Lungfish, Beefeater, Rites of Spring, Hoover, Lifter Puller, Black Eyes

The posi-/non-***hole straightedge hardcore punks: Bane, Kid Dynamite, Gorilla Biscuits

The Crusties, Anachro, Thrashy Peace punks: Crass, Rudimentary Peni, Subhumans, Get Killed, DropDead, To What End?, The Ex, Amebix. Leftover Crack/Choking Victim, Los Gatos Negros

The Noisey-Punks: Tiny Hawks, The Locust, An Albatross, Plot To Blow Up The Eiffel Tower, Einsturzende Neubauten, Ornette Coleman, Cecil Taylor, Sun Ra, Japanther

The Folk punks: Rosa, Against Me!, This Bike is a Pipebomb, One Reason, Ghost Mice, Madeline, Erin Tobey

Hip-hop punks: Mos Def, Afrika Bambaataa, Sage Francis, Cannibal Ox, MF Doom

List goes on.
  12. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    everyone seems to have forgotten about the new york dolls!!

13. Ehhh, the Dolls kinda bore me. Whatever they did good, Mott the Hoople did better.
  14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Wasn't that your girlfriend?

15. Nope, that was the other fellows girlfriend. My own lady is much better looking if I do say so .
  16. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm not a big fan of the New York Dolls, I got their album, listened to it a few times, thought it was alright and then didn't really listen to it again. Maybe my mind will change later, but, as influential as they were, I agree with Page in that other bands did the same sort of thing better.

The thing I have to give props to the New York Dolls is if it wasn't for them, there would be no Ramones. There would also be no Sex Pistols, but the Sex Pistols, like the NY Dolls, are one of those bands that I recognize more for their influence than any music they actually created.
  17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ah, if only I were 16 again, but with my ruggedly handsome 20 year old features.

Oh yeah, Walter Matthau will be stealing that soul.

18. Old man..................don't forget to take your medicine.
  19. my punk......i think that's no punk haha. i really wish that their wasn't a middle ground between metal and punk nowadays. there's so much more potential that way. i listen to a lot of metal with punk inspired drumming (carcass and the like)
  20. Sick of it All, Slapshot, 7 Seconds, Ignite, Rest In Pieces, Dag Nasty, Champion, Minor Threat, Bad Religion, Creep Division, Misfits (danzig era, the real fits), Bad Brains, Damned, Pennywise, Crass, Black Flag, 59 Times the Pain, AFI, Agnostic Front, BOLD, Chain of Strength, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Cro-Mags, Verbal Abuse, Gorrilla Biscuits, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Paint It Black, The F.U.'s, Tiger Army.