1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Kung Fu is...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Din Of Win, May 10, 2010.

1. I'm a die-hard fan of old Kung Fu movies. Be them fuhrreal classics like Enter the Dragon... cult classics like Shaolin Master Killer... or badly done no-name flicks distributed by the Shaw Bros.

While i love newer Martial Arts movies (seriously, John Woo's newest film... the 4 and a half hour long, Red Cliff is INCREDIBLE)... i think directors, like Tsui Hark, in the 80's and 90's legitimized the genre into 'serious movies' via-once upon a time in china.... while the campy-ness of the 70's/80's flicks were much of what made them so amazing!

So, with this (http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/uni...kung-fu-extravaganza-the-man-with-iron-fists/) announcement, i'm pretty stoaked! I still have a BUNCH of early 90's VHS versions of classic Kung Fu movies with intros by the Wu. They know their kung fu... ESPECIALLY Rza (who's done soundtracks for other martial arts films, like Ong Bak and Ghost Dog...). So, i'm pretty stoaked about this.

Any other old-school kung fu fans out there?

2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Kung Pow. Memememememe :hyper:

I still find it hard to believe that Bruce Lee KILLS Chuck Norris in Enter the Dragon. :eyebrow:

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Bruce Lee is amazing. Anytime I see a Bruce Lee flick on, I have to sit down and watch it to the end.

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Yep, love 'em all from the campy to the serious/art style films.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Modern day US made movies.........Michael Jai White has a couple movies out full of Kung Fu! Black Dynamite and Blood & Bone. If you don't mind black cinema I suggest checking these out. Black Dynamite is a comedy which plays on the old stereotypical blaxploitation movies of the 70's! It's full of fight scenes though. Blood & Bone is all martial arts. Some killer fight scenes.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I was trying to remember the name of one of my favorite trashy old kung fu movies--it was like "the Seven Deadly Secrets" or something like that. A white martial arts instructor has learned six of the seven deadly secrets, and he starts teaching them to other non-Chinese in America, and the ancients get angry and order him to stop teaching, or be killed. He fights back, so they force him to fight their top masters of each of the Secrets, one by one. The last master he has to fight, the one who is master of the Seventh Secret, has no arms or legs.

While I was Googling around for the title, I ran across a video on a martial arts website called "Martial Arts View", featuring some hilarious displays of fighting skills by Elvis and Ron Jeremy!!!! I can't link directly to it because it also featured a few clips of nude women in movies like "Kung Fu Girls" and "Raw Talent". But if you go to their site and look for a "bizarre martial arts" video, it's worth a viewing. :) Caveat--the first three minutes or so are boring and pointless "intro" filler. But it's 28 minutes long overall.

7. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    It was Return of the Dragon... and it was no contest. :D

8. Love all martial arts movies!

9. I really Tony Jaa movies. The use of thai martial arts adds a bit more diversity to the martial arts movies.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When I was a kid I did NOT miss Kung Fu Theater when it was on.

bc

11. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Snatch the pebble from my hand grasshopper. RIP David. :atoz:

12. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Bong bong!

13. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Five Deadly Venoms...Enough said.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Black Dynamite is seriously awesome! :) I enjoyed watching that more than I enjoyed nearly any other movie in the last couple years.

15. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I agree! I love that old-school cheesiness! And Bruce Lee... it wasn't just about the fighting skills. His screen presence is still unmatched, IMO.