Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your latest jazz purchases?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Aug 30, 2003.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just wondering what my fellow jazz fans have been listening to lately. I've really been enjoying my last three purchases:

Thelonious Monk: 'Monk Alone: the complete Columbia solo recordings 1962-1968'

[​IMG]

Miles Davis: 'Nefertiti'

[​IMG]

Blossom Dearie: 'Blossom Dearie sings the Comden and Green songbook'

[​IMG]

It's the Blossom Dearie album that I've really been listening to. I've never been a fan of jazz singers, but I have completely fallen for Dearie. I wish I'd known about her when I visited NYC (she has a residency at a Manhatten supper club).

Future purchases being lined up include a whole bunch of ECM stuff: the new Art Ensemble of Chicago album: 'Tribute to Lester'; a few discs by Dave Holland (am ashamed to admit that I haven't got any of his stuff) and also the new Miroslav Vitous album out in October (a "superquintet" of Vitous, DeJohnette, Corea, McLaughlin and Garbarek :eek: ).

DB

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hi Dave.
    I have Holland's & AEC's newest in the mail...
    The Jaco Big Band re-visted disc, too.

(You need to get Holland's Prime Directive & Conference Of The Birds ASAP).

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    This weeks buys....Michel Camilo live at the Blue Note, Dave Holland at the Blue Note & the Jaco big band........I really like all three!!!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Frontpage (Bireli Lagrene, Dominique DiPiazza, Dennis Chambers) - Frontpage

This was some months ago though...

5. Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
    John McLaughlin - Live in Paris
    Jaco Pastorius - Invitation

6. Bill Evans Trio- Sunday at the Village Vanguard (Scott LaFaro’s last gig)
    John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Brian Bromberg - Jaco... I'm enjoying it.

Hey bassin'... you and I are practically neighbors... Are you currently playing anywhere?

-robert

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    The Marc Atkinson Trio - II
    P.J. Perry and the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra
    John Ballantyne Trio feat. Joe Henderson - Skydance

Peace,
    Travis

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sorry to say, the last jazz CDs I have bought were purchased last Christmas. They were George Shearing's Christmas album and Oscar Peterson's...both so good, it seems a waste to listen to them only in December.

I also purchased "smooth jazz" trumpeter Chris Botti's Christmas CD and enjoyed it tremendously too.

It seems that Christmas is when I really enjoy jazz musicians' holiday offerings. This habit goes way back to my high school days in the late 1950s when I bought the vinyl LP "Jingle Bell Jazz" with greats such as Dave Brubeck and the Manhattan Jazz Quartet. I almost wore out that LP, I played it so often over the years.

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Shadows and light DVD
    I like it a lot!

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hi Yvon!!! Good choice!!!....how have you been;)

12. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A Dave Brubeck compilation, Pat Metheny's "One Quiet Night," and Michael Hedges' "Aerial Boundaries."

14. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hope you got the recently re-mastered version with the extra tracks.;)

Ray Brown Trio: Some Of My Best Friends Are....Guitarists! (John Pizzarelli absolutely smokes!)
    Joni Mitchell: Shadows and Light DVD (A very "Jaco friendly" mix.)

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The Jaco Big Band Revisited disc isn't out over here until 22nd Sept. :( I've just watched the preview video at www.headsup.com and it looks really good.

What I can't understand is why they've included 'Elegant People'(it was Alphonso Johnson on the studio version) and 'Killing Me Softly' (I can't remember this song ever being associated with Jaco :confused: ).

Also, I've never heard of Jeff Carswell. Who has he played with?

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Lee Morgan - Sidewinder.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have that thelonious cd, its a good one.

18. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Doing Great Jerry!
    Thank you :)

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dave-
    The Jaco Pastorius Big Band on this Jaco set is actually Peter Graves' Atlantean Driftwood Band...a 'working' big band comprised of 14 or so players.
    Here's some info from the liners.
    Regarding "Elegant People"-
    "A Wayne Shorter tune that Jaco just loved. We recorded it on the Holiday For Pans album in 1981, but it wasn't released. It's a harder, more energetic take on the song than Wayne's original version".
    And the Arranger credit on this album goes to Jaco.

"Killing Me Softly"-
    "A Classic Jaco arrangement..."
    Apparently, Peter Graves' band was doing this tune way back when.

Peter Graves on Jeff Carswell-
    "...Jeff Carswell played with my band after Jaco left to do his debut album & then join Weather Report. Jeff was one of the few bass players who Jaco would come onstage & perform with. They obviously had a certain bond, & they loved working together".
    Also, somewhere in the liners, Carswell mentioned how he got to play ALL the tunes with the Big Band prior to the 'guest bassists'.

FWIW-
    I do agree with you about "Where's Alphonso"?
    I'll add "Where's Oteil"?
    Bit of trivia-
    ...back in the early '80s, Rory Pastorius lived down here. He saw Oteil in The Squares(Va. Beach bar band) & commented how Oteil coulda stepped right into Weather Report & they wouldn't have missed a beat(Victor Bailey was already hired).
    BTW, Rory's son, David, plays on "Opus Pocus".
    He's happenin'!

20. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    ooh goody, a chance to promote tha latest charlie hunter albumn.

ropeadopes first outing wiht him is class all the way from the ensemble - john ellis, derrek phillips, gregoire maret and curtis fowlkes; respectively on sax/bass clarinet, drums, chromatic harmonica, and trombone.

the rich textures derived from the interplay between the three tenorish voices juxtaposed with a wide variety of sophisticated jazz rythms from latin to afro to straight up - can be listened to over and over and heard a different way each time.

the second track "oakland" pretty much shows the producers and ensemble at their ideal in the ensemble's intentions, and much like his version of bob marley on his "natty dread" disc, this album's stevie wonder-like sound is brought to the jazz metaphor brilliantly imho.

charlie seems to be using a modulation effect with great frequency in the recordings, to great effect imho.

candyman is still my favorite album, but i like this one and find myself listening to it often.

changui has some of charlie's best rythm work imho. try is a great combination of funk and jazz. woop ass is just plain fun as one might expect, fast and groovy tower of power style jazz with sloopier, slurpier horn sound with latin breaks which let the individuals shine. a typical charlie hunter quickie, interlude 1 is real experimentation with the ensemble and has some interesting hand drumming. wade in the water is a sticky latin thing that puts a solid jazz groove out for the voices to play in for awhile - and one of my favorite charlie solo's to date. 20th congress is a fast scat type thing on the snare that has charlie doing the organ sounds, very reminiscent of his first few discs, but the three tenor voices go to town on this style and it breaks out into long jams. interlude 5 is a variation on 1 but sets up winky nice - winkyis a great latin jam and what i would describe as a laid back "low rider" in a jazz context, extremely hip solo efforts in the piece, especially the percussive finish. freak fest is odd, not sure how listenable it is tho hehe - very fun tho and aptly named. mali comes out of freak fest and sounds like the soundtrack of a scene from the Wiz for awhile before cutting into one of the hipper bass/drum driven jams on the whole disc. this is candyman style heavy jazz with some tasteful interludes ont he part of the bone and the harmonica. mali puts this guitar effect of charlie's to it's greatest use imho, it shines subtley well here. he uses it combination with panning with it and the clarinet voices and other voices to create a truly unique psychadelic jazz texture. le bat is a chance for the band members to really dig into their accoustic sound base - nice brush work on drums lets everyone lay out some real feeling alongside a fun popping horn rythm between the three tenor voices, with cuts of cahrlie improving in between.

as a former bone player myself, i have to say curtis fowlkes does some really nice work here, he is extremely expressive - as one might expect. everyone puts on a hell of a show.

one of his better albums me thinks, good start for him and ropeadope i hope =)