1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Lead Guitarist Hands You $500.00......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Braciola, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Braciola

Braciola

Dec 7, 2011
    Oviedo, FL
    ....and says, I need a used bass, could you please find me one.
    What are some models off the top of your head that immediately come to mind you would start looking to buy for him?

Hey guys, Dominick from central FL here.
    I'm a lead guitarist and a nine year senior member over at The Gear Page forum.
    I was asked to play bass for a classic rock cover band and need to pick up as used bass for around $500.00.
    I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to electric guitars, but really don't know too much about buying a bass.

I'm just looking for something that sounds great, and is easy to play.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    a squier CV p-bass or j-bass would be my go to bass. very solid basses for the price.

3. Squier VM Jazz.

You can get it new for $329.00.

I play one in a classic rock band. Very versatile with a fast neck.

Make sure to play it before buying as feel and build quality can vary.

4. Braciola

Braciola

Dec 7, 2011
    Oviedo, FL
    Thanks guys,
    I'd rather buy a higher dollar used guitar for around $500.00.

5. Bass-aholic

Bass-aholic

Dec 28, 2010
    Northern New Jersey
    I own a cat... Owned a cat........... I think it was a cat.
    Ibanez sr 500 would be my choice. Fenders are heavy

6. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    Snatch a like-new MIM jazz bass off craigslist for $350-400 and pocket the leftover. :cool:

7. darknes40

darknes40

Oct 11, 2011
    Ibanez sr500 for sure it's light fast neck which will feel more like a guitar neck and active eq onboard

8. Used MIM Jazz Bass.

Now a playing tip for you - as a bass player, you're playing with the drummer. You're not just note support for the guitarists. Figure that out, and you won't be just another guitarist with a bass.

9. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    A Westone/Matsumoku bass.

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'd take a Squier CV or VM over a MIM Fender any day. Better quality control. If you're embarrassed by the name it comes right off with a little steel wool, the decal is on top of the finish. If you like satin finished necks the steel wool will take care of that too.

11. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    For classic rock, a P or J bass is a very safe way to go. After all, those were the basses most often played on the records.

Grab a used Fender off Craigslist, or buy a new Squier VM or CV bass.

12. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Sterling by Music Man Ray-34 or SB14 hands down. Same quality and sound as the made in America Music Man basses for half the price.

13. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Classic Vibe P or J

14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I would go with a classic look as well. J, P, or Ray.

Try to find a MIJ copy or MIJ Fender in the classifieds.

15. I'd look at getting a used Fender J or a used Warwick Rockbass Corvette (the one with the 2 band eq) I get a very pleasant surprise when ever I play those things.

16. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    this (used japanese made bass)... in fact, a P would be my suggestion

17. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Wait.... You're a lead guitarist... And you had $500.00 bucks????

OK.

Something smells fishy here!!!!!!! :bag:

Just Kidding of course! Since you're coming from guitar, I lean toward an Ibanez SR series. They tend to have thinner necks which will probably be more comfortable for someone used to guitar.

18. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    I'd go for a used Fender. P is my preference, but a Jazz will do the job as well.
    And FWIW, I'm a lead guitarist of 25 years, who picked up the bass and began playing about 2 years ago. Love the thing.
    I've seen a lot of bassists come and go in those 25 years. The majority of them played a Fender of one persuasion or another. When it came time to get my own, I went with a Squier P(because it was free), and later built my own P bass.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/100-year-old-pine-p-bass-build-778608/?highlight=

But if I weren't into building, I'd have upgraded to at least MIM Fender by now. You can't go wrong with a Fender, especially for classic rock. And people can say what they want about other brands, especially the lower end stuff. Yeah, a lot of them are good instruments, but you want to show up at the gig with an instrument that's instantly recognizable as good quality. Like it or not, for most bands looking for a bassist, Fender's one of, if not the first bass that comes to mind.

19. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Definitely an Ibanez SR500.

20. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

Nov 9, 2009
    Los Angeles / ex-Michigan
    Endorsing Artist: Reunion Blues, 64 Audio, Mesa Engineering
    Try a jazz bass!