1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Least Favorite Bass "Thing" Of 2016

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowEndOperative, Dec 22, 2016.

1. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Unfortunately for some, this year hasn't always brought GAS fulfillment, primo gig events, or thrilling NBD purchases, to name just a few. So to honor a recent TB thread regarding the best bass "thing" of this year, I offer its antipode.

As for me, one was a not-so-well-thought-out sale of a Schecter Diamond J5 I posted on Reverb a while back. It was already priced to sell as it was (with shipping included), and one Saturday morning I woke up to my iPhone chiming a notification that it had been sold. Eagerly I perused the Reverb app for more info, only to find that the buyer was from another country.

Australia.

Despite the ever-growing pit in my mid-section, I went to the UPS site for a shipping quote. $800. Now it was full-blown panic, as I considered cancelling the sale but since I had already been paid for it, I felt I was on the hook for the whole thing. Fortunately I was able to purchase USPS postage via PayPal for just over 1/8th the cost of the UPS quote, and though the box was half a foot too long I was still permitted to print a postage label. So off I went that very morning to the local PO, box in hand, eager to ship the bass out when the window clerk there gave me a hard time because of the excessive package size for customs. Regardless, he did accept it but made no promises it would progress unhindered to Down Under. Imagine my anxiety as throughout the next ten days I checked USPS and Australia Post tracking at every possible delivery hub, that perhaps I might divine for myself a snag in the shipment...yet none was forthcoming. It was delivered to the seller ten days later in excellent condition and I got a positive review on Reverb, the buyer noting that he was "very happy". This near-disaster of a transaction has caused me to permanently reserve a part of my brain exclusively for the use of the phrase "Memo To Self: No International Shipping!"

Another is this: I am missing my Levy's leather strap and if it doesn't turn up I will have to pay threefold the price I paid for the original in order to replace it.

What say ye, TBers?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My playing

3. LowEndOperative

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I might have considered that too, but my band mates consider my anti-accurate fretting the stuff of legend.

4. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    My least favorite thing of 2016 was the way people treated each other. The lack of compassion for each other, the lack of "Tolerance" by those that preach it. People can really suck at times...

5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Same as last year: Midwestern weather and my stupid effing necks.

Timmy-Watts, Roberto Nunez and CaseyJ like this.
  6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Lack of time.

7. Spending more time worrying about the state of everyone else's politics instead of using my music to spread some positivity.

Here's hoping for 2017.

cchorney likes this.
  8. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Greg Lake and Prince gone!

Edit: I feel awful. How did I forget Chris Squire? That loss sucked too.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    In my case, the "worst" is truly the negative side of what I rated best, which was developing my ear through learning lots of tracks for a cover band. The "worst" was realizing I had to quit that band because the leader was simply too difficult to work with. At least I wasn't alone -- the drummer came to the same realization at the same time. It was a bummer, because at our best we were darned good and had a great time.

As bad as that was, however, nothing compares to losing Prince. That remains difficult to take.

Roberto Nunez and Sartori like this.
  10. LowEndOperative

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    That reminds me of the endless hours I spent singly-focused on the practice cassettes (ahem!) I relied on way back when, and the leadership squabbles I encountered. Fortunately I was able to slog through it for as long as that Top-40 cover band existed. I was also stuck, too, as it was my only source of income back then.

11. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    My playing, lack of time and fund$.

Roberto Nunez likes this.
  12. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    D class amps.:lock: I want to love them. Really.

slantedpanted likes this.
  13. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Roundswounds. All of them. Tried them again. Took them off again.

14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    That was 2015.

15. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Wow! Has it been that long? It still seems like last month.

k31bassman and Arion like this.
  16. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    No more new material from Rush.

17. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    I lost the best band I've ever been involved in due to the other members not being able to control their egos.

18. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    To many musical greats died.

19. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Not having an Ampeg PF 50T.

Nev375 likes this.