Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your least favourite bass lines?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Nov 21, 2003.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    This is a thread dedicated to all the bass lines you think don't really fit the song, or the bass lines you think you would've played better. I can think of two right now:

Money for Nothing, Dire Straits.

Ugh. I'm not really a fan of bass lines with quarter notes on the 1 and the 3, unless you're dealing with pretty fast songs.

I guess an additional note here and there would've added to the groove. I also hated the note choice in the fills, because they really don't fit to the main guitar riff.

Played alone, the bass line on "Money..." really sounds like condensed crap, and poor me had to play this for years. :bawl:

Love Will Tear us Apart, Joy Division

Perhaps I simply dislike Mr. Hook's style of playing, but to me, music starts to sound "funny" and pretty much off-key when everyone's playing the same notes and there's no harmonic basis.

No offence, Mr. Hook, but sometimes a bunch of root notes really don't do any harm.

Now name some bass lines you really can't stand.

Durr, edited because I mistook Joy Division for New Order, I guess that shows how much I like them.

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Scorpions - "No One Like You". the bassline during the verse sounds off compared to what the guitar is playing.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    [​IMG]:spit:

We just got rid of the worst bassists thread, now we have the worst basslines thread. My god, we get it... Quarter notes are aparently stupid, and so is Fieldy. End of thread.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I admit to liking Fieldy. I also admit to liking well chosen, tasteful quarter notes...even half notes can be awesome. I never thought bass lines were about numerous and rapidly played sixteenth notes. They are OK, but they are like perfume. The right amount can be intoxicating. Too much can be nauseating.:bassist:

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Satisfaction

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Fell in Love With a Girl - The White Stripes

The worst bassline is no bassline.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    So "kiss" by prince qualifies? :p

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Gotta confess that I feel disappointed when a bassline, no matter how well executed, is played on synth bass. I just wonder why the producers couldn't have used a "real" bassist with a real bass. I have such a predjudice in this regard, that I'd almost rather hear an inferior bassline on a real bass than any bassline on synth bass.

What concerns me, too, is that it seems more and more often, CDs do have at least some of the songs featuring synth basslines. Surely synth bass players are not cheaper than "real" bassists, so what would be the reason for favoring synth basslines in such recordings?

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya, that's a whole 'nother can of worms though bop, there are many times when a live bass would be more than suitable, but synth bass is used.

there are also situations when a synth bass fits, so it's hard to say.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Does Stevie Wonder not count, then?

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I was just saying, that's what the "worst bassist" thread was, and I'm predicting a similar future for this thread...

"I hate the idiot from Van Halen because he plays eighth notes even though that's what the song calls for, it's too simple, give me Blink 149 anyday, Dork Harpus iz the best basiztz."

12. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    The live version of "Kiss" is in fact quite different, and it has bass! The bass player simply doubles the keyboard line and it sounds great!

I did pretty much the same thing when I played "Kiss" with a party/cover band. I played along with our keyboardist, albeit slapped, and threw in the occasional pop. I was very happy with the result.

Oh, another one. The cheap scale runs and the overly "graphitey" bass tone on Faith No More's cover of "I started a joke" just irks me. But I don't know, perhaps the song's supposed to sound this cheesy.

I'm otherwise a big fan of Mr. Gould, but.. well, you get the idea.

StupidMatt, this thread is about bass lines that don't deliver what the song calls for.

13. 99% of the songs by the White Stripes and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

yeah

The Kills and the Black Keys are okay.

14. Hmm...I was going to jump right in with stabs at Blinky Hoppus and that guy form American Rejects until I saw
    This stopped me on a warpath :spit:
    So I say an example of phxlbrmpf's quote would be difficult for me to find, even in the worst of bands, because I'm a firm beliver in 'A bassline makes a song' :bassist:

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well if you haven't noticed the droning open strings holding down the roots then I'd say you haven't listened to the song well enough to pass such a judgement.

16. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I heard the song a couple of times on MTV, and I could swear there were no root notes. Hmmm.

17. Neil Young - Heart of Gold

I love to play this song on guitar, but I just don't like the bassline for some reason.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

As a musician, I strongly disagree. This can be used as a great dynamic tool. In the Baroque period of classical music, they controlled their dynamics by adding and removing instruments, that said... On AC/DC's highway to hell (I just wanted to compare AC/DC to the Baroque :D ) Cliff Williams doesn't play until the Chorusy area. And when he starts playing, it seems really powerful. It wouldn't have seemed powerful if he was playing during the verse. A song with no bassline at all can sound decent too, it all depends on the song.

That said, The White Stripes need a bassist. Oh wait, I forgot, I don't care. They'd sound horrible with or without a bassist, unless...

Matt's Formula To Make The White Stripes NOT Suck

1. Kick the girl drummer out, or get he drum lessons quick!
    2. Get a bassist, they sound very empty, especially with only one musician that knows how to play, plus he plays fake bass, why not go for the real thing?
    3. Make singer man STOP SINGING! His voice... it's horrible. He's a great rhythm and somewhat lead guitarist but... shut up. Get Mike Patton instead ;) Anyone who can sing as apposed to Mr. Lamey Lame.

See? It wouldn't take much. //End Derailment.

19. the whites stripes guitarist still doesint deserve to be # 17 on rolling stones crap list of the greatist guitarists ever

20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Oh, yeah, here's another: most of "Fight like a Brave" by RHCP, way too thin-sounding. P.S.: I actually really like Flea and picked up bass because of him.