Your List of Definitive Solo Recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by eugene swank, Jun 17, 2003.

1. eugene swank

eugene swank

Jun 6, 2003
    How's it going?

I'm looking for some doublebass soloists and your opinion of their definitive album or recording. Along the lines of Gary Karr. Being from a backwoods town in the south I need to be specific in my asking at the "record gettin' store". I would be greatly appreciative for your list and to hear some more stuff. (a website that sells their records will do also)

So, post your favorites, please.

Mr. Swankenstein
  2. Baron von Basso

Baron von Basso

Nov 3, 2002
    along the lines of Gary, you'd have to try a little known Italian names Stefano Sciascia. Lemur has all of his stuff I believe. He's played at the last two ISB conventions and his playing is some of the most moving you'll ever hear. When browsing his CDs, you may want to stay away from the concertos one if you do not like recordings that stray from the "normal". The playing style is very different from what we're used to on those pieces. His "Elegie" and "Quella Fiama" (sp?) are gorgeous. Mostly slow, lyrical pieces. Gary's "Basso Cantabile" is another along those lines.

Bozo Paradzik is mentioned on some of these postings. His CD is amazing, but he's not about to de-throne Gary or Edgar. He could stretch phrases a bit more for my taste. Nice playing.

Josef Niederhammer is another than you'd need to contact in germany, but he is very good. Not as musical as the guys above, but still very good.

Michael Reiber's CD are pretty good, and Gergey Jardanyi's Bottesini series is very nice as well, but it is possible to OD on Bottesini if you aren't too careful.

I've heard many things about Daniel Marillier, but the one CD that I got was pretty boring. I heard him live and it was very accurate, but not as musical as I would have hoped.

Brian Bromberg's "It's About Time" was finally re-released and is worth getting ahold of.

Duke Ellington and Ray Brown's "This One's For Blanton" is another gem.
  3. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Don't know them myself but have heard very good things about Ovidiu Badila and Thomas Martin. Might want to check them out.
  4. Hey Guys,
    Interesting post. I too would like some nice Arco Bass CD`s to enjoy. Can you only get Gary Karrs stuff on his website? Lumer? Thanks...

5. Hey Baron von Basso,
    I checked out Lemur and they had what you suggested. Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to my order in the mail ;)