Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your little secret

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dave Siff, May 23, 2000.

1. OK, I know everyone out there knows of at least one or two recordings that have inspiring bass on them, but are relatively obscure.. "your little secret", if you will. I'll go first: a friend of mine turned me on to the box set of tunes from "Schoolhouse Rock". Remember that stuff from Saturday mornings in the 70's? "A Noun is a Person, Place or Thing", "I'm Just A Bill", etc.. I was blown away by the bass playing.. some of the funkiest walking lines I've heard! Anyone else got one?

[This message has been edited by Dave Siff (edited May 23, 2000).]

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Bought a copy of TV theme songs compilation a number of years ago.
    Remember the theme from "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids"? I have used that bassline countless times in funk tunes and it always works!!
    It's easy---but it just has that "quality" about it!

3. BillyPat

BillyPat

Apr 20, 2000
    here are a few that fit the bill for me. not necessarily 'unknown', but definitely underappreciated, in my opinion:

Groove Collective Groove Collective
    Brand New Heavies BrotherSister
    James Taylor Quartet In the Hand of the Inevitable
    Chic Everybody Dance
    Jean-Luc Ponty Enigmatic Ocean
    Jean-Luc Ponty Cosmic Messenger

4. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    Ok...This one's way out.
    I've sometimes used the bass riff from the intro song of the 1994 soccer computer game 'Sensible World Of Soccer' while jamming with one of my bands. They love it and I must say, it's a pretty funky riff. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------
    Never trust a man who doesn't drink - Winston Churchill

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Check out the Simpsons' CD "Songs in the Key of Springfield". It's not just fun music, it's got great bass playing too. Also, there was a double CD with by David Letterman's TV band called "Paul Shaffer and the Party Boys of Rock n' Roll", with some really good grooves, courtesy of Will Lee. It's sort of a concept album in which the Band is playing a Party (sort of like the Beach Boys' Party! album), with Cameos from John Lovitz, Phil Spector (who asks Paul if he has enough echo) and of course, Dave himself.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Not an unknown tune at all, but I have plagiarized the basic motive of EarthWind&Fire's "That's The Way Of the World) into more ballads than I could ever count.

7. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bow wow wow. their drummer _rocked_ totally, in fact a few of the malcolm mclaren bands of the early 80's had kickin drummers - adam and the ants had some killer dual drum parts too, lots of tribal sounding tom parts. i listen more to drums than to bass on most popular music/rock, or at least as much, and these bands were some of my favorites growing up, as far as pop music went.

one bow wow wow song in particular, "do ya wanna hold me", the bass and the drums are really rocking. and that chick in the mohawk - wowza, i loved her for the longest time. [​IMG]

------------------
    john

"Bad Muttluk, No Anuses!!" - our own lil'biski

9. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> i listen more to drums than to bass on most popular music/rock, or at least as much, and these bands were some of my favorites growing up, as far as pop music went.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    kinda finny. as a drummer i always listened to guitars and vox more than anything. but now that i am learning the bass, i am realizing how many bass lines I know in my head when i toy around with cover tunes.

------------------
    Sean

My website

My eBay stuff

CDs and Concert shirts for sale

10. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    &gt;ONYX- I've gotta treat for you. Download and let me know what ya think!

I love it! Especially the Sanford and Son tune. My sons band has played around with the tune (at my suggestion) but to date, they do not actually perform it. Great bass line. Very nicely done, IMO.

11. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Glad you enjoyed. As with most of my recordings, I nice sub on your PC will definately brighten your listening pleasure.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Themes from Grease, Barney Miller, and the Brady Bunch!

I don't know who played on the first two, but hadn't ever heard of Carol Kaye until I read that she was the one who played the Brady Bunch theme.

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Slightly off topic but you guys might want to check out the bass playing on the orignal Jesus Christ Superstar record (not the movie). I brought this up on another forum 'cause I had heard 'What's the Buzz' quite by accident and was blown out by how good the bassplayer was.

14. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pedro:
    Slightly off topic but you guys might want to check out the bass playing on the orignal Jesus Christ Superstar record (not the movie). I brought this up on another forum 'cause I had heard 'What's the Buzz' quite by accident and was blown out by how good the bassplayer was.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, I've heard that! It's pretty awesome. Another good one along that line is the "Hair" soundtrack. Freakin' OUTRAGEOUS playing. I believe it's Wilbur "Bad" Bascomb on bass. Your jaw will drop, guaranteed.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    We yapped about JC SUPERSTAR in the past; I think Jerry(Byers)came up with Alan Spenner(Roxy Music)as the bassist on the soundtrack. Spenner's definitely a Jamerson-man, huh?

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    There are some nice stuff on the Grease soundtrack too, although not quite as good, IMO.

17. ChelseaC

ChelseaC

Jun 27, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Siff:
    OK, I know everyone out there knows of at least one or two recordings that have inspiring bass on them, but are relatively obscure.. "your little secret", if you will. I'll go first: a friend of mine turned me on to the box set of tunes from "Schoolhouse Rock". Remember that stuff from Saturday mornings in the 70's? "A Noun is a Person, Place or Thing", "I'm Just A Bill", etc.. I was blown away by the bass playing.. some of the funkiest walking lines I've heard! Anyone else got one?

[This message has been edited by Dave Siff (edited May 23, 2000).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dave,
    I think those shool house rock things were written by Ben Tucker, a crusty old jazz player in savannah GA. Is he the bass player on those songs too? Just wondering because he's a pretty cool upright player, but i've never heard him play electric.
    word up, chelsea

------------------
    Why am I Mr. Sparkle??

18. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChelseaC:

19. ChelseaC

ChelseaC

Jun 27, 2000
    Dave, Ben is still around, but he recently sold the club he owned where he used to play every weekend. i'm not sure if he's playing somewhere else now. You shold check him out if you get the chance though, he's bad.

------------------
    Why am I Mr. Sparkle??

20. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    There is some great stuff on movie sound tracks. Just one example is Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer from the Beverly Hills Cop movie.