1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Live fretless effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jasonmasters, Mar 14, 2010.

1. jasonmasters

jasonmasters

Dec 18, 2008
    Oregon
    I understand that certain parts of songs call for random effects to be kicked on and off, but who here plays fretless live and uses effects on their tone that stay on for the whole set?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Play live, blues band, no effects. I use my tone knobs if I want something different.

3. jasonmasters

jasonmasters

Dec 18, 2008
    Oregon
    yeah i play with my tone knobs too. I'm just new to fretless, and I think flanger and such sounds pretty cool on my tone, but dont know if it's worth trying to use live...

4. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    i love some of the stuff juan alderate does with effects and his fretless

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Nothing for my whole set. My basic tone is bass->amp (slightly overdriven Genz Benz tube preamp) and it KILLS.
    In my funk band I use various effects for various songs.
    Mostly these (individually or in combinations as listed)
    Envelope (mutron III+)
    Mild OD plus envelope (currently Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive + mutron III+)
    Delay (Carbon Copy)
    Chorus (TC SCF)

6. If my effects work on my fretted, then they almost always work on my fretless and vice versa. I just use a different EQ and that's about it.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    For my fretless project the only effect that was ALWAYS on was a compressor, a Demeter Compulator mostly.

I used reverb quite a bit (a Dr. Scientist Reverberator) and occasionally octave, flanger, filter and delay.

I also used simple loops to fill out the sound since it was just fretless bass, acoustic guitar and both of us singing.

8. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I'm always on fretless.

Pickup selector and EQ on the bass mostly.
    There is a compressor on pretty much all the time but it's setup as a limiter , I try to do the dynamics myself as much as possible.

I kick in a chorus when taking solos.

I'v been toying with a VBass in the last year and start to incorporate synths sounds and double my lines with guitar sound.
    Big big fun.

9. For my fretless tone I always use the Submarine volume at noon tone at 10 then whatever else is needed.

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I don't think I've ever had an effect stay on for a whole set, either fretted or fretless.

But I have used all the same effects on fretted and fretless, I don't think there are any "fretted-only effects".

11. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    +1

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020