1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your MLB team #2...The World Series

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  2. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Thanks for getting Part Deux going, MJ.

Should be an interesting series. The Cards may not have the starting pitching or the pure thumpers of the Tigers, but they have a better bullpen, better baserunning and a more balanced lineup.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I think it's going to be a good one. It's kind of hard to judge because they played different competition all year. I'm picking Boston in 7 for two reasons. One, the AL has home field this year and in the green monster that makes a difference. Two, Bostons bullpen especially their closer has been unhitable down the stretch. If St Louis doesn't get to the starters early, I suspect they're done.

OTOH, I'm still pissed that Cabrarra got hurt down the stretch he will need groin surgery after the season. With Cabrerra healthy the Tigers are the best team in baseball, but hats off to the Bosox they produced when they had to.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Weeeeeeeeeeeell it looks like some Sox found their bats!

I'm a little torn about the game. Of course I am glad the Sox won in a big way. But the game itself didn't come close to the excitement of the Detroit series games to me.

I'll probably kick myself for saying this later but I hope the Cards at least make it interesting to watch.

The big question is are the Cards ready for that 9th inning splitter pitch Thursday night? (I think not)

5. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    This was pretty similar to game 4 in the sox tigers series. The starter really didn't have it going for the cards and his defense didn't help. Sometimes things do not come together for a game and the team comes back strong the next game. Its a good start for the sox, but nothing more.

I'm a little disappointed in the cards manager -it is ok to argue a call in the moment, but give it up after you've watched the replay and it is obvious that the 5 umps got the call right. I'm not sure how that benefits a team and you look like a dope.

6. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah that game sucked. As a Cards fan or a fan of routine plays...

Matheny arguing that botched 4-6 was stupid, too. I was sitting at the bar saying, "Obviously not out. You don't see Matheny out there arguing do you?" And them out he comes...

Only redeeming thing about last night: a few nights prior, when the BoSox-loving gf and I were watching the game 6 rout of the Dodgers she said, "Why do the Cardinals need to keep piling it on? They're clearing going to win. This is why the Cardinals are like the effing Yankees." So I got to throw that back at her last night. Small victories. :atoz:

7. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

8. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    You have to pile on, especially in fenway park and when facing teams that can put a bunch of runs on the board in a hurry. There is no clock in baseball, so as a practical matter no lead is safe. Be gentle with your gf, we sox fans can be a tad overbearing during the WS.;)

9. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Too busy at work ATM, but I think making a Downfall /Hitler parody video about last night would go a long way towards not rage flipping my desk today thinking about las night.

10. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    BoSox drop their first WS game in my lifetime! 'Bout freakin' time. What Game 1?

11. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Well, that throwing error on Breslow was deflating.

12. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Yeah, you can't give outs or bases away to a good team.

You'll see changes in St. Louis. Nava for Gomes in left - Gomes' value as a good luck charm seems to be on the wane and while Nava is not the second coming of Yaz, he is a bit better in left. Ross will probably get at least 2 starts at catcher. We may see Bogarts at short and Middlebrooks at 3rd - Drew has been great defensively but totally lost at the plate. Farrell loves Drew so he may not make this move in game 3 - but at minimum you'll see pinch hitters for Drew late in the game.

I'm a little worried about Buchholz in game 4; I think Doubront (a lefty) will be ready early to come in if Buchholz has any trouble in the first few innings.

I still see the Sox in 7, but these are two very evenly matched teams.

astack - you must be a young man. I've had a little different history with the Sox.:D

I watched the Sox end up on the losing end of 3 7-game world series. Two of which had classic WS moments - 1975 with Fisk waving the ball fair (I was at that game), and 1986 with the ball going through Bill Buckners legs - I was living in NYC at the time and had many good friends who were Mets fans. Older Cardinal's fans will fondly remember 1967 with Bob Gibson winning 3 games.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    As a neutral observer, I far more enjoyed game two than game one. Not because of who won, just the closer score.

-Mike

14. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I can go along with that.

I'm hoping that we'll see a game where both teams play good ball and the difference will be who played better rather than which team made fewer mistakes.

Beltran looked pretty good out there - that is one tough player.

15. p-lo

p-lo

Jun 18, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you really think they will play Ross behind the plate? That means they would have to sit Napoli or Ortiz in St. Louis with no DH.

I'm a cards fan so that wouldn't bother me a bit.

16. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Either Ross or Salty will catch every game in St. Louis. Ross is the better defensive catcher and lately has been hitting as well or better than Salty so I'm thinking that Ross will get 2 or 3 of the StL games (definitely Game 5 with Lester - that is a mortal lock) and Salty will get Game 6 if needed with Lackey. Napoli has not caught a game all year and Farrell has been asked that question directly and has indicated that there is no way he would put him back there. I would assume that if there were a dire emergency and both Salty and Ross weren't available, they would use him but that is it.

You'll probably see Ortiz most of the time at 1st in St. Louis. He is not particularly mobile but he can pick it as well as anyone. At the beginning of the season, I would have said that Ortiz was better defensively than Napoli, but Napoli has made huge improvements and I would consider him better defensively than Ortiz at this point in the season.

For what it is worth - Peavey is our best hitting pitcher and the only one to get a hit this year (a double!). He spent most of his career in the NL and has a lifetime .173 with 2 home runs. Buchholz is a lifetime .333 hitter (1 for 3) but he hasn't batted since 2012. Lester is pathetic, especially for a power pitcher, 1 for 31 with 19 Ks.

It does hurt to see either Napoli or Ortiz on the bench, but either is a nice weapon to pull out when you need a big bat in a late inning pinch hitting role. While Farrell will tell you that the AL is at a bigger disadvantage in the NL parks, than vice versa, I think he would say that to lower expectations whether he believed it or not. I don't buy that, but that is mostly my considerable gut talking not any research. Someday when I have the time, I'll try to support that contention with stats.

17. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    This series may be a lot different if Farrell didn't pull Lackey and Jim Joyce caught Craig on runner interference.

Oh well

18. The end to last night's game was fun. The camera guy was focusing on a cute girl in the stands, and Uehara picked off the runner at first. Excellent.

19. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I missed that but did you notice McCarver blathering on about what a mistake it was to hold the runner? Koji has a good move and these guys haven't seen it yet, so I guess it wasn't such a bad play. ;)

The other reason to hold the runner is that it gives your fielders an opportunity to get the runner at second on a ball hit deep enough in the hole that there would be no play at first.

Gomes came up big - that one got everyone off their seats and high fiving around here. Drew came up with an RBI and solid defense. Senor Octobre continues to live up to his name and if this series goes seven (which it may) Ortiz might have a chance to become Senor Novembre given how long these games are going.

Both teams still haven't delivered a clean game at the same time, and last night, both teams made some key mistakes. Its not the best baseball, but it is certainly exciting. I'm not complaining.

I'm a little disappointed in the outfield grass at Busch - it looks nice but there should not be bad hops in center field.

History doesn't repeat but it sure does echo. Seeing Buchholz get people out without his usual velocity reminded my of Schill's bloody sock game. The interference call (umps got it right IMO) on Sunday reminded of the non-interference call in the 1975 WS and Wong getting picked off of first reminded me of the ball going through Buckner's legs in the sense of that is the last thing that you want to have happen.

Doubront was huge and even Lackey's inning helped get the game to Koji.

20. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Let's go Cards!

Game 6. Who's gonna be the Bill Buckner or David Freese of 2013??