Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your mods on MIM or Squire??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Lots of people decide to get the cheaper MIM Fender or the Squire model and enjoy modifying them later. So what have you guys done to hot-rod your axes?? I personally haven't had the chance to do it yet..but did get the chance to find electronics, hardware for my custom made bass here in Indonesia. Badass 2, Bart P/U, Bart Preamp, and Gotoh tuners.

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i thought to buy a MIM jazz and add a badass bridge, a pair of SD pickups and a j-retro preamp. but since i found an old, circa 82, japanese squier jazz bass '62 reissue that play like an american fender, i decided to stop the modification and i'll go on with these marvellous bass. i higly suggest the old japanese squier, both jazz and precision they are AWESOME instrument.

3. mesafan

mesafan

Jul 24, 2001
    Yeah I was thinkin of buyin a MIM Fender and smashing it to bits.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...I was thinkin' about doin' that to a Fodera!;)

5. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    I've been tempted to buy one of those Rogue by Squire Stratocaster guitars that you see on the back cover of Musician's Friend for like 35 cents and destroying it. With a guitar that cheap though... i'm not even sure I could trust it to break correctly.

6. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    oh yeah, modifications to my squire...

1. completely dismantled it 3 times just for the hell of it

2. spraypainted the body a very girly shade of pink (i'm a guy by the way)

3. removed the pickguard (except the part i needed to hold the knobs on.

4. removed the ground wire, it is now grounded with a paper clip that attaches the plug to the bridge.

5. appled several very feminine stickers to it, saying things such as "goddess" and "angel"

6. drilled a small hole about halfway through the body, stuck a broken pencil in it so that the eraser sticks out.

7. pried out the 19 fret with a screwdriver

8. applied fingernail pollish to the tuners

9. forced my friends to autograph the back

10. accidentally warped the neck

It's so splendid, i love it.

7. mesafan

mesafan

Jul 24, 2001
    No not a Fodera!!!!!!!

Nooooooooooooooo!!!

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I put a Gotoh 206 bridge on mine, and I've changed the pickups several times. First I put in Carvins (wimpy) and then put the stock p/u back in for a while. A few years ago I put in Dimarzio Model Js (or are they 123s? I can't remember) but I got tired of that sound so just yesterday I slapped in a set of EMG actives at 18v. They sound great, and they're DEAD quiet. I'll probably add a preamp at some point, but for now I'm enjoying my MIA P-bass too much to worry about the MIM... :)

I also have a MIM fretless Jazz that'll get the same treatment eventually.

9. Dimarzio DP123's, Badass2 bridge on the Mexi.

Just Dimarzio DP123's on the Korean Squier. I plan on eventually putting a Gotoh 201 bridge on there, but haven't needed it yet.

Chris

[​IMG]

10. I painted my Squier P bass twice. It was red. Then it was green. Now its white. Its my Sid Vicious bass. Im gonna get a new bridge (one of those Grotoh ones) and (probably) a Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder pickup. Then it will be my badassbass.

As for my MIM Fender Jazz, I will not do anything to that. I wont even take it apart. It is too good to be messed with. That, to me, is like a Fodera to others.

11. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    okay, this is going to make me look even dumber than the first two posts already have...

what exactly does "MIM" mean? I have my suspicions, but i'm not sure.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I'll tell you what...I'm not going to bash either my MIM Jazz or my Spector; though a good....:D

13. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    >what exactly does "MIM" mean? I have my
    >suspicions, but i'm not sure.

Made in Mexico

OK, now what were your suspicions?

14. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    when i get my mim jazz, it'll have a gotoh 201, and i was think of putting in some barts with passive bart electronics, and then i'll have a pretty decent sounding jazz bass.

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    have a pic?

16. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Copper shielding tape; $10 from Stewart-McDonald, and a good set of strings.

17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have a 4-string Squier Pro-Tone P-Bass (which is actually a combination of a P and J Bass. It has a P-Bass body, a J-style neck, and a P/J pickup configuration). It was a pretty good bass when I bought it new, it played very well, but the pickups were a little wimpy, and the pots were kinda cheap.

So...

To improve the sound of the bass, and just for the experience of hot-rodding a bass, I installed Seymour Duncan APJ-2 Lightnin' Rods Active P/J pickups, and a Seymour Duncan STC-2a Active 2-band preamp.

Now, IMO, this bass sounds great! :D

I've been thinking about selling it, because I've been playing 5-strings exclusively, but I'm afraid I'll want it back after I sell it. :confused:

18. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
    my suspicions were that one of those M's stood for mexico... i really didn't know what the other one and the I were all about.

Yes, I do have a picture of that bass that I horribly screwed with. I'm not sure if it is before or after the pencil mod, but I'll find it. When I find it i will either post it or post a link to it. I will do that before the night is out.

19. dawgawd

dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    Maine
  20. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I actually rather like it, very.....unique.

Edit: But jeez change your strings! Or at least sand the rust off. :)