1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your "mojo" bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeDaddio, Jan 26, 2012.

1. I own five basses, and enjoy playing them all.

However, my American P bass is my mojo bass. It's the bass that I can pick up and just feel in tune with.

I haven't played in years and recently managed to join a band, sort of on accident. I brought my ASAT and P bass to the first practice, and started with the ASAT because the band is a sort of heavy rock music, and I figured that the ASAT would burn it up.

But I just couldn't get my bearings on it.

We took a brake and I pulled out the P bass and the music just flowed out of me. I learned a few of their songs, started a little funk jam, it was just a lot of fun.

I've noticed this with the P bass before: it just fits me, and I feel more comfortable and confident with it. I can't really explain it. I would swear that I'm a better player on the P than I am on any other bass that I own.

I'm sure it's all in my head, but there's something about that bass that just brings out the best in me. And as a rusty bass player who hasn't played in a band in ages, I can use all the help I can get.

It's gotten to me so much that I'm actually considering selling or trading my ASAT, because I just don't feel it suits me, even though it was the first "serious" bass I ever owned.

Anyone else have this experience? The feeling that you've got to work a little bit harder on basses other than the one that just seems to get you?

[​IMG]

joe

2. My MiM Jazz, my third bass after having a Hofner Icon, and an MiM Deluxe PJ.
    I wish I could feel this way about my Rick 4003, but the Jazz just feels right.

3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    For me it's my 62RI Sunburst Jazz. It's got mojo and vintage vibe to spare. My other basses are good basses for sure, but the 62 has something they others don't. Might be the thicker neck that separates it from the pack...not thick like a 50's Fender neck but it's thicker than the others I have.

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    my AV62RI is just rediculous!!!

it definitely makes me a better player. :bassist:

5. To be honest, I have two...my '82 Fender Fullerton Fiesta Red Vintage Reissue P bass and my early 90's Carvin all Koa 5 string. I love 'em both but I get different tones out of them, one for some songs, one for the other tunes...If I really had to choose the one with the MOST mojo, I would grudgingly have to say the '82 Fullerton.

100_0096_r1.

6. I have an '82 or '83 MIJ Squier Jazz body which I paired with a mid-90s MIJ Fender Jazz neck. I absolutely love this bass, and I can play comfortably on it for hours and hours. I'm using it in this funny little video here:

catch the train.timbutlerwinnipeg,timbutler - YouTube

P.S. 90% of the stuff I play with Tim Butler is off-the-cuff (especially if he says "this is an original tune"!) - so please forgive any screw ups, we were making it all up on the spot!

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I've owned so many basses over the years. And some of those I "thought" were my mojo bass. Ends up not......they were just basses I liked.

That is up until now.........

This 1972 Fender Jazz in every way, shape and form is my "Mojo" bass! It just speaks to me like no other bass I have owned does. It is my go to bass and just can't put it down. Now it has its fair share of mojo already on it when I got it. I think some it has worn off onto me!

br_03_072211.

fender-72.

8. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    So far, my 'Ray 4HP, just because it's been around so much longer than my others.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Mojo means nothing to me - it's not something I recognize.

But I do have a '63 P that I've had since 1967, and it's nice to play. Perhaps some would make that long ownership into "mojo", but I don't. It's just a nice old bass I've had for long time.

I really don't have a favorite among the dozen basses I have - I just choose one according to my mood.

10. I'm the exact opposite. I keep pulling out the Jazz Bass thinking it will fit me like my Ric does. What's it called when you repeat the same action and expect a different result? ;)

11. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    My Geddy. No matter what I'm playing, it always seems to make me hit the pocket and dig into the groove. I've thought about putting at Audere or J-Retro into it for years, but I don't want to screw up the mojo I have with it. Thus the Franken-J is being built. Black body, Maple Board/Blocks, Dimarzio's with a J-Retro. The Geddy will always stay stock, save for the Hipshot, love that thing.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    It would be my 83' MIJ SQ Squier P bass..its thee one. I liked it so much I traded away my 78' MIA P bass for a guitar!

13. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Mid-00s Hwy 1 Jazz. It just feels good to play, especially with flats.

14. I have a friend who has one of those! Those early 80s MIJ Squiers are some of the finest Fender or Fender-style basses I've ever played.

15. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    this bass is always on:

'98 American Standard

6344775092_0b6eb0ac7c_z.

16. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    this is the one I play ALL the time
    IMAG0219.

17. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    My 1998 Fender Precision Standard. I can pick that bass up anytime and just feel at home with it.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have owned so many basses over the years looking for a "mojo" bass. I had a Yamaha BB605 modded with Bartolini electronics that I played for a long time. Probably should still be playing it but I wanted to give 4's a try again. After more than a year of my "forced" hyatus I don't really miss the B string at all. I think my "mojo" bass is a Geddy Lee. I seem to "just play" when I'm using one of those. I had a similar feeling with a Sadowsky RV4 but not quite the same.

19. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Ok, as much as I hate to admit this but it would hafta be my MIM P! My Am. Std. maple P is the better player of the two(actually over all, including my 2 Fender Jazzes), but to my ears the MIM(62' RI p-up) just has that extra vibe, "mojo", or whatever and it ends up being the one I always go back to. Don't get me wrong, the others are really nice basses but the MIM is the "wife"! :cool:

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have 3 that I love equally..... '89 Stingray, '74 P and a '69 Jazz with a '72 neck.

They all have mojo and sound and play great.