Your most surreal moment?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Sep 14, 2002.

1. OK, so what's your most surreal moment in life? I only post this cos right now I'm sat in my underwear at my PC, and in the background is Caligula on TV. I'm 17, I'm a student, and I just realised that this exact moment will never exist again.

And no, I have't been smoking anything. I'm just reflective right now :D.
  2. Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    #1. I was extremely ill with pneumonia, and I realized that I might never exist again.... actually, though, it was kind of cool. I had a sort of out of body expirience... not exactly, (like on the movies-the silver cord thing) but partially my mind was outside in the room and I couldn't feel or move my body and everything was trippy and distorted... its kind of hard to explain.... it was like I was on more acid than Scooter Ward or something.

#2. My first night in El Salvador

#3. The rest of my life in this artificial world of surreal realities.
  3. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    Being completly smashed in Islington at about 11 at night, looking for a newsagents that will serve us, and then hearing very loud muffled music from a back alley, going round to see what it was, then seeing Jamie Oliver and his band shooting a music video and not realising it was Jamie Oliver until someone pointed it out.

I still reckon I was halloucinating.
  4. While camping with my friends last summer, after a few too many, I laid my head down on the picnic table next to my friends jacket and said, "So this is what jackies jacket sees, if it was looking this way". Then Jackie wanted my attention so she licked my nose.

That was an odd night, filled with alcohol, board games, puking, and being pirates, good and bad, and somehow memorable. Almost makes me want to start drinking again. Almost.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I get Deja Vu every once in a while. It's not like I drive down a road one day, and then I drive down the same road the next and I say "Wow, it feels like I've down this before". It's this very surreal feeling I get out of nowhere. Like I've been to this place before, doing the same thing, but I can't recall it like a normal memory. Makes me wonder if I existed on this earth in another lifetime.
  6. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Same exact here, it's just a really weird feeling, it freaks me out.
  7. Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    About the deja vu stuff: I had dreams about situations aroung 5 years ago that seem to be happening now.

Most surreal: I was at baseball practice in the outfield. I was thinking about how the first base umpires look for the runners foot and listen for the sound of the ball hitting the first baseman's glove. It got me thinking about the speed of light and sound, and sound being slower. But the umpire is too close for any perceptive difference due to the accuracy of our senses. Anyway I was looking at the grass swaying in the wind, and all the light and sound stuff made me realize that in the time it takes for me to percieve this, its already done something else. I realized the whole world is just delay and delusion.
  8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    "Deja-Vu" is what I guess you can call it...but I can distinctly remember what I was doing and where I was when I had a thought and then that exact same thought happens later[in real life, of course].
  9. how do you remember dreams that you had 5 years ago? i cant even remember last night's :confused:
  10. Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I don't remember the dreams exactly. But when the situation happened, I got the surest feeling that it had happened before. I did remember that it happened in a dream only after it happened. The funky thing was that once it started I was able to predict what would happen next.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not nesscesarily in this order...

#1 Amsterdam- self explanatory.
    #2 Sept 11, 2001
    #3 Completely falling for a girl durring a cruise this past summer. We were on the top deck holding each other starring at the stars. I practically forgot about my girlfriend of a year and 4 months. This girl lives in New Jersey, and I might never see her again. It was really weird knowing that. I still talk to her online though.

Damn I miss her...:(

Yeah I broke up with my girlfriend in case you are wondering.

12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sitting out in the wilderness, I mean the deep wilderness, camping with my friends Chris and Cory. We were around the fire, looking up at the stars. It was then we were struck by the same feeling that we were alone, completely, like it was us three, and nothing else in the world. One of those strange feelings that fosters philosophising.
  13. I've led a life, all unwillingly, filled with moments. But *the* most surreal was actually something that happened fairly recently.

I have a condition called ESRD. This essentially means that I have kidney failure and I have to have dialysis 3 times a week. Not fishing for pity or sympathy because I don't need it. Just setting the stage.

About the end of May I contracted a bacterial infection of the blood system called "sepsis" through my perma-catheter ( a plastic tube stuck in my chest + jugular vein). My temperature shot above 105+f and stayed there even with a dozen ice packs and a "cooling sheet" (a refrigerated plastic blanket attached to a refrigeration unit). During this time I was completely out of my head and raving. I remembered screaming at a nurse about something. Frankly I'm rather happy I can't remember about what.

The last night of my fever I hit absolute rock bottom and I had an incredible dream. Might have been a hallucination, might have been "real" (whatever that is). I don't remember everything but what I do remember I'll write down here.

I remembered seeing a vision of a beautiful sky that had colors that I could never describe. Clouds drifted along with tremendous numbers of "things" flying around as if they were flocks of birds. Huge faces drifted among the clouds, indistinct to me but they seemed to be smiling. All I felt was joy and a welcome.

I felt something like a nudge. Like someone jostling your elbow to remind you of something you forgot. I remembered that I could create anything I wanted by simply wishing it. A wave of a hand and there was a large boat. Another wave and a house.

Then I felt a question. It seemed to ask why was I not flying. So I wished myself to fly and there I was. I lifted off the ground and I felt such a rapturous joy. I spun in the air and felt the wind pass me by. I remember laughing like I haven't done in years, if ever. Flying in the air and accelerating. I remember heading to a flock of those "birds" when the faces all seemed to gaze at me.

They gave me a last smile and then it all went gray. I remember fighting with every ounce of my will to remain there. To keep my grip on that dream or vision. It didn't happen.

Later on I woke up to a bed completely drenched in sweat. I had sweated off nearly 25lbs (!!) of fluid which the nurse were trying to replace with saline.

I remember the dream. I don't know if it's "real" or not. But I've come close to dying 4 times in the last 18 months. And I don't fear dying anymore.

BTW I suppose I should point out that, while this seems like a christian vision of "heaven", I'm not christian and never have been. Probably never will be either.
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    maybe they're waiting on you to convert before they let you stay. ;)
  15. ROFLMAO! I never thought of that!

It is an interesting thing. Twisted as heck, I might add, but very interesting.
  16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    worth a shot. pascal's wager, and all that, you know. :)
  17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i have a couple
    1) standing at the alter and seeing this beautiful woman walking toward you and realizing you are about to be bound forever to her.

2) 3 days before my 18th birthday AND my graduation we had to rush my dad to the hospital. come to find out he had a rare form of congestive heart failure and he would die VERY soon. they did this procedeure where they stopped his heart then re stareted it (never knew your heart was made by microsoft huh?) not too weird.... until i helped get him up outa bed sometime later and the back of his gown fell open and i noticed 2 paddle burns... i didnt think anything of it till i saw the front... the same 2 paddle burns.... it had burnt him straight through!

3) the fact that dad was supposed to live 3 months tops and is still alive 6 years later! check your medical journals because his name is in there for being only the 2nd man to ever reverse the disease!

4) when i was on tour i used to nurse my grandmother who was like a 2nd mother to me. she was in very much pain and would hallucinate when she would take her medicine. one day she told me she was tired because she had just gotten back from where she was born and playing with her sisters.... she used to ring a bell for me when she needed me... when i got back from her funeral i walked into her house where the family was gathered and was overcome with greif. i fell to my knees crying because at the time i was an athiest and did not believe in life after death. just as i hit the floor i heard the bell ring... and so did the rest of the house.... guess she "needed" me to be strong for my mother and to get my head out of my as$ and realize there is more out there than i thought. once again not a christian staement per se but definately the reason i research religion so much.
  18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I suffer from chemical depression. It's apparently a family thing (my dad does too).

Before we had any idea though,when I was 16, I remember sitting out at my grandma's farm, at about 12am, after a day of fishing, and watching this incredable lightning show in the sky. Between the lightning, the depressing music we (my cousin and I, same age) had playing, and sitting in my late grandfathers favorite swinging bench, it was great.

I have had many similar expierences, but won't bore you any further. But I will say this, remember every moment you can, they will all be special in some way.
  19. 1.) Everytime I'm on stage playing a show. Or the perfect recording take.

2.) The whole deja vu thing. I get it too. IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME, and I can't shake it off no matter how hard I try. 6th sense at work?

3.) Sex with my wife, most of the time. Honestly, it's true. I can't deny it. Surreal is the perfect description.

All of them are like drugs that take me to a new place. Weird. Outlandish even. I would think my cynicism and skepticism would deter me, but I can't help but think it's 6th sense or something. Or maybe my subconcience knows me too well. Or I'm an idiot.
  20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the most surreal moment that i can think of right now was when i was in 2nd grade, i got hit by a car. i was a pretty little kid at the time - i was very small for a 7 year old.

i wasn't really paying attention to where i was going, like most 2nd graders when they are walking home from school ;). i was just walking and looking around, probably thinking about ultraman, or something like that, and then -WHAM- i was smashed by this car. i remember landing on the roof, and then bouncing on the window and the hood and finally the ground. i'm laying there on my back looking down the street totally dazed, and about 40 feet down the street is one of my shoes - it was partially untied and just went sailing off my foot when i got hit. still cracks me up when i think about it - i remeber it just sitting there in the middle of the street, sole down, with the laces spread out. very bizarre.

surprisingly enough i wasn't that hurt - i think i was so oblvious and relaxed that i actually just bounced around like a rag doll - if i had tensed up when the car hit me i probably would've broken something. the poor woman driving the car was hysterical - she was screaming and crying as she was trying to go to houses around there to use a phone and call for help, all the while i'm laying in the middle of the street, right in front of her tires - at first she thought she really hurt me. i remember getting a ride in the back of a cop car to the hospital. i don't know why they didn't call an ambulance, i guess because i wasn't that hurt.

one of the more bizarre experiences of my childhood. i remember going into school the next day and saying i got hit by a car, and the teacher yelled at me for lying and made me stand in the corner. my dad came down to the school and yelled at her in front of the class. :D

actually, 2nd grade sorta sucked for me.