Your MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe Settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HeyyyyyJoe, Mar 21, 2011.

1. HeyyyyyJoe

HeyyyyyJoe Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey guys, was wondering how you set your MXR M288 Octave deluxe pedal. Trying to find a setting that works in my band mix without it sounding too muddy or muffled in the band mix. I'm looking for the perfect setting to fill in that gap when the gui****ist starts soloing. What's your settings?

mxr_bass_octave.jpg

BTW: That's not my settings... just felt like adding a picture of the pedal

2. Growl at ten oclock, Dry at 2 oclock, girth at 12 oclock

3. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Growl at 1 o'clock, Dry at 2 o'clock, Girth at 9 o'clock with Mid engaged.

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Growl at 11 o'clock, Dry at 1, Girth at 2; I typically don't use the mid boost.

5. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    for oc-2 tones i used growl maxed dry slightly less, no midboost. for rock-ish tones i used dry 12, growl 10, girth 2-3, midboost on, freq trimmer at high mid setting and mid level trimmer 3/4 up i think.

6. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Mine is in a separate loop into a MessDrive Hybrid on modern fuzz. That fuzz has girth, the best for low octave I've tried. The MXR itself is both low bands at 3 pm and clean at noon (for just a hint) mid switch On. Then it goes into an Attack Goat for some high end fizz (that has a blend set at 40% effect, full mids, drive at 10 am, and THEN into the always on VT bass. The result is a square wave like an old moog synth. Good down to low F.

Aaarn likes this.
  7. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    Growl: 3 o'clock
    Girth: 9 o'clock
    Dry: 2 o'clock
    Mid Boost: On

Super growly, cuts through like a machete. Especially when running through a VT Bass. :)

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Most of the time I like dry at 2:00, growl and girth at 12:00, no mid boost.

If I want to sit further back in the mix I'll cut the growl to about 9:00.

If it gets a little to bottom heavy I'll back off the girth a little to about 10:00.

The mid boost does help it cut through. When I do use it it's set to 850 hz.

I've noticed a few people above say they use the mid boost, but at what frequency? IMO 400 hz sounds best with the back pickup of my Jazz bass but I usually use the Jazz bass with both pickups on full so the 850 hz sounds best on the Jazz and my P bass.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021