1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your names for you gear vs. your spouse's names for your gear

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lizardking837, Apr 18, 2019.

1. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Hey guys,

I recently watched this video featuring a guitar player's wife going over his gear and testing her knowledge.

It reminded me of two Christmases ago, when after a few beers my girlfriend and went through my gear that still resides at my parent's house. The results are as follows:

Basses:
    My Modded Red Squier P Bass; real name: "Red Hot", my girlfriend's name for it: "Zingy"
    My Green Fender P Bass (w/ flats); no real name yet, my girlfriend's name for it: "Thumpy"
    My Orange Flame Spector; real name: "Sarah" (after multiple ex's) my girlfriend's name for it: "Flamer"

Amps:
    Behringer 450 watt head and 4 x 10 cab: "The one your parents hate"
    Acoustic B100 combo: "The one we don't have room for in our apartment"

Have your wives/girlfriends/significant others or bandmates named any of your gear?

JRA likes this.
  2. The Wife calls it all, "Your crap."

To her it is all just things that make loud, nothing more.

3. "Big amp thing"

lizardking837 likes this.
  4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Guitars: "That guitar"

Basses: "That guitar"

Mandolin: "That little guitar"

Amps: "That speaker"

Synthesizer: "That keyboardy thing"

BassAndReeds and lizardking837 like this.
  5. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I've never named an instrument. I probably never will.

redwingxix, smeet, 12BitSlab and 4 others like this.
  6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    GSR100EX MOL: my name for it - the brown bass. my husband's name for it - the woody bass
    the green mikro: my name for it - the little green bass. my husband's name for it - your green mikro
    fender dimension: my name for it - the dimension. my husband's name for it - the dimension

i did name the modded mikro with the MM bucker and the ray pickguard the mikroray, but more as a way to distinguish it from the other mikro.

we're not big on naming instruments here :D

Garret Graves likes this.
  7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I tried to explain what an active bass is or what some of the controls do on my bass amp... and its like I'm speaking in Latin or some other language. They are really not interested in our gear, only when you want to buy more. Then they come alive.

bigjohnyeti, redwingxix, McG and 4 others like this.
  8. I have one bass, one amp, one piano, one violin, and one viola. So no need for names.

I do have a lot of harmonicas but my spouse can't tell them apart, so she can't name them. Except one four-octave chromatic harmonica is "the big one".

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    For the most part, my wife knows what they are, although as an ex orchestral violinist, she finds the "need" for people to have a collection of basses quite amusing, as do I.

S-Bigbottom and Passinwind like this.
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Nope.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

"junk"

:laugh:

edit: she does recognize the instruments as "basses" --- but the rest is, to her, "junk."

lizardking837 and Sore Thumb like this.
  12. I don't name my gear and neither does my wife.... in fact she did not know what a bass sounded like by itself until she came along to a band set up 10 years ago and I plugged my bass into my amp and started playing....

13. I'm reminded of when I asked a lady what the model of her Ibanez was & she replied that it's a SDGR.

14. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I wish I could have as many wives as basses. ;)

15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    My Maruszycyk Jake = your red bass
    My Mustang = your white bass
    My Jazz = your bass you never play
    My Jaguar = your other bass you never play
    My Yamaha fretless = your white bass that hangs on the wall

16. Be careful what you wish for :roflmao:

chuckNC and dbase like this.
  17. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    It takes up too much space versus ok start throwing away some of your shoes.

18. You can barely play with what you have now, how are you going to find the time and energy to play with a few more?

19. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I like the brown one (Warwick Thumb)

20. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I’ve never named my basses. My wife just thinks it’s funny when I want or get a new one. She always congratulates me on getting a new bass that will sound exactly the same as every other bass in the world - like a bass. It’s actually kind of eye-opening about how differently non-musicians (or maybe all non-bassists) hear things.