1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your not going to believe this one.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sedan_dad, Mar 1, 2008.

1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I can't believe it.
    I'm haveing coffee with my mother and aunt this morning and they mention this old violin one of their sisters have .
    I ask what kind it is and they tell me matter of factly thats it's a Stradivarius.
    I ask how they're so sure and they say it says so right inside.
    I ask where it came from and they tell me that their father was given to him by his father.
    I ask if they had any idea what it was worth and my aunt guess's "a couple of thousand I suppose".
    They freaked when I showed them that Strads started at 30k and went way up from there.Into the millions.

I'm curious how this is going to pan out.
    I'd hate to see that thing just go to waste sitting in a glass case.
    They're seven sisters involved all in their 70's.
    Now they have a topic to chat about if indeed it truly is a Strad.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    99.9999% of violins marked as Strads are not. :)

3. I don't believe it.

:)

4. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I thought the best thing to do is have it checked out by a pro.
    No sense in them getting all worked up over nothing.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    He's right. The scene you described has played out thousands of times worldwide; people thinking they had a "Strad" on their hands. My Grandma had a "strad" up in her attic.

http://www.afvbm.com/strad.htm

6. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    What these guys said. Don't get excited.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Yeah, probably not the real deal.

Excellent link above, by the way.

8. Hi.

My guess is that it's probably real, after a fashion.

There's the Stradivarius instruments that the man himself or his apprentices made, those are rare and valuable. Keep Your fingers crossed ;).

Then there's the model Stradivarius that's been manufactured by god knows how many luthiers and factories, and those are not that valuable, but can be good or exellent instruments. Even I had one once and might still, haven't seen that box in ages. That was not a good one, not even for a beginner.

The violin pro is the way to go IMO, they can tell the real value and most probably know a potential buyer also, no matter what's the value.

Regards
    Sam