1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

your ONE mostest favoritest bass line of all time!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    ... and if you can say why it's your mostest favoritest that would be great too!

Mine'll probably change 5 times in the next year, but for today it's them good ol Beatles and Paul's line in...

Penny Lane

I've been listening to it all week on a stereo that really accentuates the bass. I think it's awsomely melodic, hooky, and I think there's more emotion put into that line than just about any I know. He bends the strings, hits them differently, does some simple chord stuff, improvises - sounds like he puts his absolute everything into making that line sing. And any non-musician can hum the bassline too!

Wut's yours.

2. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    anything jamerson ever did!!

"diamonds on the soles of her shoes" by paul simon is my favorite line of all time though. so beautifull.

3. Strangly enough my favorite line is the slapping bass in Michael Jackson's "Get on the floor" from the 'Off The Wall" album.

Im a 21 yr old metal head and thats my answer...hilarious!:eyebrow:

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ill get laughed at for this, but given my current state of intoxication, & my mood...

The Doors - Riders On The Storm

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Im really diggint the bassline of a Mark Lanegan song called Undertow.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    It's not even by my favourite bassist, but I have to give it to Flea for Soul To Squeeze. It's so very melodic, but it never gets flashy. It just fits.

Graeme

7. Ramble On by JPJ. Just a masterpiece of subtlety and great sixteenth notes in the chorus.

Red Barchetta by Geddy Lee gets a mention. Used to play it live in a band. A joy to play.
    and while i am at it. A Little Knowledge Is A Dangerous Thing TOP with Rocco .

8. My favorite line has always been The Lemon Song, but lately Darling Dear by the Jackson 5 comes very close.

9. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    The Knife by Genesis/Mike Rutherford

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Right now, I think it's Escape by Jonas Hellborg. If anyone gets a chance to hear the version with Shawn Lane on guitar (the original) it will reduce you to tears and leave your soul laid bare. Uplifiting and so beautiful. It also breaks me right down, such a soulful and beautiful performance from Lane, and now that beauty will never be seen again.

Memento Mori indeed.

11. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    Either "The Real Me" by The Who

or..."The Lemon Song" by zep.

12. Cake-Frank Sinatra so simple yet soo good! you can hear the funk in the empty space :bassist:

13. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    is it because i'm black "syl johnson " according to allmusic he's play the bass & guitar himself .the line is very cool ,syncopated and all about feel .also one room country shack "buddy guy " with jack myers on bass decide me to buy a P bass .very sweet sound .

14. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Oct 8, 2005
    "Rain"

I need my bass to sound like that all the time!

best tone ever imo of course.

15. Johnny Christ's in the album "City of Evil."

16. Lordcliff

Lordcliff Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Metallica-Orion

17. s.m.80808

s.m.80808

May 5, 2006
    Definitely the one for "When Doves Cry".

Prince is a genius like that.

18. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    the humpty dance by digital undergound

19. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    As I sit here right now...

"The Imposter" from Elvis Costello's album Get Happy.