Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your opinion: 2x10 + ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey all...

As mentioned in my sig, I currently have a 4x10. Have sold it to a cool guy in place of a 2-cab rig w/ a soon to arrive SVT 4 Pro (thanks Boogiebass!).

My 2x10 is on the way (thanks In Flames!) but now for my hardest decision: What do I add to it?

A 1x12 or a 1x15?

I like the sound of my Avatar 4x10. The punchiness is great. But I would like a bit more low end. Not TONS. Just more. I play in a sorta heavy-ish rock band w/ a 4-stringer that will go thru the SVT 4 Pro bridged. I want a bit more chest-thumping than my 4x10 had, but I don't want to give heart-attacks out. And I'm willing to sacrifice some punch for it, but surely retain 80% of the punch 4x10s gave me.

I've never had this question really answered or had opinions truly cast upon it. Just the general "the 1x15 will give more lows and the 1x12 will give slight more lows but will still retain punch". I got that part. But how about versatility? Will the 1x15 be overkill? Will the 1x12 not give any noticeable low end, relative to my old 4x10? Can a 1x15 still "punch" like a 1x12 but go lower? Will I lose the amount of surface volume I used to have? Experiences and opinions would be much appreciated. Especially in regards to (but not restricted to) the Avatar SB112 and SB115 cabs.

Thanks! :hyper:

-Transverz

2. I hate to suggest something different, but a lot of people go for 2x10 + 2x12.

They're usually full range and very, very punchy. If you shop around you can get a good deal on a portably cab.

Hope that helps.

3. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hehe, I knew someone would suggest that, and I was dumb not to state that although that would be my ideal setup, hernia is off my wishlist this year. :crying:

That is to say, I would love it! Too bad the Avatar B212 is 69 lbs. One small reason I did away with the B410 was because at 89 lbs, life was a bit tough...and I'm not Hulk Hogan. Nor do I have roadies. And our elevator at our lockout breaks down. A lot.

Thus, I felt 89 lbs and 69 lbs were both still in 2-person carrying category. The SB112 and SB115 however are both under 50lbs. I think even I can handle that by myself when I have to (and I have to alot...the bassist gets @ssed out a lot, don't they?).

But yeah, 2x12s...it would have been nice...

(where's the *sigh* smiley? oh well... :bawl: )

-T

4. Those SB112s do add a perceived low-mid,I use one or two with my Eden 210 XLT and they fill out the low end really well.I've found one of them with my 210 is loud enough for anything I want to do and they do punch better than 115s.Also they sound very good on their own and one is loud enough for most rehearsals unless you play really loud at practice too.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    depending on the make 115's can be wonderful
    don't forget that 15's have a long history of being very effective for bass...............
    as for surface area, 1 15 inch driver will have slightly more than 2 10s, so 1 15 + 2 10s will move lightly more air than your 410 did

6. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks guys...

great opinions and experiences all around.

Glad to hear the SB112 can round out a tone.

And yeah, 15's are definitely in the bass history books. Hmm, that might be a bit too "low" for me though. But I have a question:

If you don't "use" the potential lows that the 15 can produce, is it a waste? Would it take a 4-stringer's sound and change it? (for example, putting vocals only through a subwoofer would really alter it's sound).

Hmm...thanks!

-T

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hmmmmmmmmmm
    well yes any driver will alter the sound of your bass to a degree - your 2x10 is as well
    using a 15 isnt a waste if you're not using its potential to reproduce super low frequencies - they sound different than 10's or 12's (or 18's, 8's, 6's, and 5's for that matter) :p
    trace elliot used to reccomend using their 15 and 410 together run full range (not biamped) as the 2 cabinets complimented each other's sound - they sounded different, and sounded great together
    ultimately it's up to you
    i ususally use a bag end 115 and 112 together - they sound similar, but the 112 has more hi-mid presence and the 15 has a more solid low end - each sounds great, together they are awesome
    but remember, there is no hard and fast formula or rule - you have to listen for yourself :D

8. For some gigs I just use my 2x10, but if I'm playing a big show / important show / no P.A. show, then I'll bring the 1x15 along. It compliments the 2x10 by adding more umph! The band will "feel" it more and I believe I can "drive" the band with the solid low end. But, I think my sound would get lost with just the 1x15, not enough punch, detail and clarity.

So in a nut shell, if you're happy with your current set up (Ampeg into 2x10) and want to add more sound, I say add the 1x15. IMO.

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The 4Pro bridged could be handled by a 2x12 alone I think... but if you really think its too heavy.

I just went from a 4x10 (Ampeg BXT) @ 350W to a 4x10 and 1x15 with 450W per side. The 1x15 definately adds to my sound. If you use it in moderation, it can give you the fullness you want without giving you that fat "blob" sound. I've tried it as a standalone, and I think it friggon sucks though. It's not punchless... but it really lacks a lot. Luckily, I can moderate the gain for each channel, and get the 1x15 right where it fills in the lower gaps that the 4x10 misses.

However... you intend to run bridged. You really cant use any sort of crossover or gain control for each cab. Also, your using a 2x10 vs a 4x10. I recommend the 1x12. I've never played through 12's before... but from what I've heard from 10's and 15's, I should probably give them a shot sometime.

10. Any of the Bag End 15s should do your low end good... www.bagend.com

Take your pic:

Small - S15-D

Medium - S15 CUS (not on site yet)

Big - S15B-D (70 pounds, albeit manageable, and very big unfortunately. Way too much low end for you probably, anyway)

I guess I'd recommend the S15-D, but I don't know if it will improve your low end that much... Users can atest to that or not...

EDit: You said you want to retain punch. The S15-D is notoriously punching for a 15. They might just do the trick. Good luck and rock on... :bassist:

11. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the suggestions...

I will definitely consider a 15 for adding that OOMPH. Though another very informed TBer commented that the longer throw of the 15 might put me off when playing smaller places. Hmm. Tough decision.

Anyway, I checked out the Bag End stuff. Very cool looking and I always heard good things about them. I might give those a try as well. Anyone else use them?

Thanks again y'all...

-T :D

12. If a 2x12 is two big, why not get 2 1x12s? If your 2x10 is 4ohm, then get 2 8ohm 12" cabs and run them in parallel.

13. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah...2 - 1x12s...hmm...

You know, I HAVE been thinking about that. Relatively speaking, how does that compare to 4x10s? Of course it won't be as punchy, but if it can come pretty close, I'd be willing to try that out!

Any experience with that? Any brand, but especially with Avatar SB112s?

14. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If your gonna be running bridged into the 4Pro, then your not gonna be able to pull off the two 1x12 setup, I dont think. Your 2x10 is 8ohms, right? You want the 4Pro running at 4ohms bridged then. If they made the 1x12 in a 16ohm cab, it'd work out... but I dont think they do. So then you'd end up with some weirdo impedance and the entire world would come crashing down upon your awesome new rig. And.... we dont want that now ;)

Since your commited to running bridged (with the 8ohm cab you just purchased)... your limited to the SB112 or the SB115.... unless you wanna ditch the 2x10 and use two 1x12's bridged instead.

Now... what you coulda done (if you wanted to go way out and crazy), is get four two 1x12's at 4ohms each and ran stereo into one channel.... then for the other side you could have put two 2x10's or two more 1x12's. haha..... wow, that'd be so friggon crazy though. :rolleyes:

But... anyways... I still suggest the SB112. You might wanna consider that a 1x15 could overshadow a 2x10.

15. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks TheChariot...

ACTUALLY, now that you mention it, my deal on my 2x10 has been terminated. No longer coming my way (should update my sig). Strange huh?

SO NOW, my plate is open to suggestions. How does two 1x12s sound in comparison to 4x10s? Probably not the same volume huh? Then again, I'm switching amps at the same time so how loud would a mono-bridged SVT 4 PRO be thru a pair of 1x12s? Or am I better off with still pursuing a 2x10 + 1x12? I am now officially super confused. :confused:

But I do know one thing for sure, I at least want one 1x12. :) It's a start.

-T

16. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    You REALLY need to go out and play thru some stuff and find out what sounds good to your ears. We can help keep you away from a poor investment(Hartke?), but if you decide, for example that you dig 2x12 cabs and want bang-for-buck, we can suggest the Peavey or Avatar 2x12 cabs...or even a pair of Aggie 1x12's.

17. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well, 12's and 10's are obviously a lot similar than 15's and 10's. 12's really seem to be the most diverse as far as different sized speakers go.

If your truly intent on your 1x12... then you should just go ahead and land one now. You could plug it into one side of the 4Pro and give it a try-out. Obviously that'd be a lot less power than running it bridged with another cab, but you'll get an idea for how it sounds at least. At that point, who knows what you'd want... a 2x10, or another 1x12 seem to be your big options at that point. Although you'll have a much better idea after playing through a 12" for a little while.