Your opinion about this video

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 5156246, Jan 11, 2001.

1. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    I'm about to buy "The Slap Bass Program" video by Sklarevski.

Did anyone ever see this or made some good experiences?
    Was it worth the money and
    could you take something valuable out of it for your slap bass technique?

Thanks for any answeres! :)
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I haven't seen all of it (since I don't own it myself, but I will some day), but what I've seen is very good. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the best slap/pop instruction video out there. I have yet to hear a bad word on it.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Somewhere, maybe Bass Player magazine, I saw a rating of slap videos and Sklarevskie's was rated as the very best. I don't have it myself, but have often considered buying it. Oh, by the way, several years ago I knew a bass player who had studied with Alex Sclarevsky at Bass Institue of Technology (BIT) in Los Angeles. He said that the instruction he received was excellent.

Jason Oldsted
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's a pretty good video. He goes from basics past intermediate level. Judging from the questions on slapping in this forum it would help answer a lot of questions. Also, there's nothing like seeing someone demonstrate a technique vs. just talk about it.
  5. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    My slapping was non existent until I picked up this video. IMHO the best Slap instruction video going. From basics to "machine gun triplets" and beyond it is very easy to pick up some of the most difficult lines as he(Slarevski) explains everything in easy terms and plays it slowly at first showing both hand techniques in great detail.
  6. great video, the only thing i don't like is that the guy seems kind of bland.
  7. Boplicity

To Paul Wetty, does the Sklarevsky video come with written instructions too? A problem I seem to have with videos is that I can't always grasp what is demonstrated without something in writing as a further backup. Some videos with excellent writen booklets that accompany the video are Dave LaRue's instructional video and Roscoe Beck's blues instruction videos.

You mentioned a StarLicks video by Louis Johnson. I have another excellent StarLicks video called "Right Hand Technique for Bass" that has several well known bassists explaining slap technique. They include slap monsters like Verdine White and the "inventor" of slap, Larry Graham. (No booklet to go along though.)

Jason Oldsted

8. EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    << does the Sklarevsky video come with written instructions too? >>

Comes with a little book with the music in it, if that's good enough. The only tough part is figuring out what he does with his left hand, but that's what the books for. He's clear on what to do with your right hand and shows it well, which is a pretty big part of slap.
  9. i swear there are times that he has a delay on, or the drum machine merges to much with the bass. maybe i just can't get it but there are some parts where i hear more percusive stuff than there is movement.
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not to get nitpicky, JO, but Verdine's forte seemed to be fingerstyle with lots of lightning fast jumps and trills. I'm actually drawing a blank as to any song where he did any serious slapping except on some of the brief interludes between songs. He did some aggressive plucking (like Stanley) that sounded like slap/pop. Was he slapping on your tape? Just curious.

One thing I've noticed with EWF, people seem to attibute some of the popping going on to Verdine, when it was actually the guitarists (Fred Graham, Al McKay)doing it.
  11. Boplicity

I'd better dig out that video and watch it again. I remember being impressed with White, but if he slapped, I can't say. Tell you what. I'll watch it today and get back to you. The video was all about right hand techniques, so most of it was slapping, except for Abe Lorial. I'm going to watch again and see what White actually did demonstrate.

Jason Oldsted
  12. Boplicity

To Brad Johnson, well I dug out my Star Licks video. You are absolutely right about Verdine White. He is a classically trained fingerstyle bassist. The moderator asks him how he can sound so percussive and clear even though he does not slap. Verdine says it is all in the pressure on the strings and comes from his training eight to ten hours a day on the upright. He uses only two fingers, does not go to three or four like some others. Unfortunately, it does not seem like Verdine White gets as much time on the video as other bassists (who include Freddie Washington, Louis Johnson, James Jamerson, Jr., Abe Laboriel, Byron Miller, Larry Graham, Chuck Rainey, Neil Stubenhaus, and one of my great favorites, Nathan East.

Jason Oldsted
  13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sounds like the tape I just got at GC for $9 last month. It's kind of dated but there's still some good playing, especially Nathan and Freddie but my favorite would be Abe L. The fanning triplet thing he does is still pretty nice and very articulate. Nice chords, too.

The first time I saw Verdine live was at Univ. of MD with Earth, Wind & Fire, opening for Stevie Wonder in the early 70's. He would have given the Energizer Bunny a massive coronary ... perpetual motion from the first note (I almost got tired just from watching him;)) and grooving the entire time. They were amazing.
  14. Boplicity

I really envy your having had the opportunity to see Verdine White with Earth, Wind and Fire live. What a wonderful thing! I still often listen to their "best of" record even to this day. They were so exceptional.

When I lived in the Philippines, there was a band that imitated them almost perfectly. In fact, I never knew what the band was playing was songs by Earth, Wind and Fire until much later. Filipinos are such gifted musicians and they can imitate almost any sound. Still, I now wish I could have seen the REAL thing, the original lineup with Verdine White, if only just once.

jason oldsted