Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your opinion appreciated

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jedi, Feb 18, 2005.

1. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    I'm at this crossroad of getting a new bass. The past four or five basses I've owned have all had something wrong with them, even though I was told everything was 'fine' before purchasing them. I'm not going to point fingers or this or that. But from these experiences I've decided I want to buy a bass new. I'm not to picky and want either a fender jazz or precision american or japanese. The japanese basses are more in my price range so that is what I'm looking at. I just found this bass at ishibashi and got a price of how much shipped it would be, which is around 664:

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/fender-j/pb5770us.htm

I also realize that this is about the price of a Fender Geddy Lee new from GC.

The third option is that I was offered a 97 Fender California P from a fellow TBer and it seems like it is good condition, and he claims it is. But I wasn't able to find out much info on this bass except that it is made of american parts in mexico.

So of the three choices, which would you choose? I've played plenty of Ps and plenty of Js to know that I dig on both, and have played what I enjoy on both. So I would prefer that you spare questions and state what you would choose. And even through in reasons X and Y why you choose. I'm just after opinions and not flames or ridicule.

Thanks for your time :)
    Kyle

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Mind you these are my personal preference which may differ from yours, but here goes...

I would go with the bass from Ishibashi. First of all, I like the split P bass. Of those choices, the P sound appeals to me the most. Second, the Sting basses are very hit and miss. There are some good ones and some bad ones. Finally, Ishibashi has a very good reputation.

Of course, there are no guarantees. I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming purchase.

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/fender-j/tnb110spl.htm

(I hope you dpn't mind me tagging along on your thread, pm me if you do, and I'll erase and start a new thread)

Anybody ever see this bad boy? I'm also wondering about the sunburst fretless they have on there (looks like Jaco's, but not beat)...Any other experience with them?

4. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    don't mind at all.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You don't want a P-bass, you want a J-bass. Trust me on this.

6. fourstring44

fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  8. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    sorry for the n00bage but when i look at the ishibasi website most of the text is written like "????????????" is that because i need to download something or is it because its written in japanese and my comp just doesnt recognize the font?

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You are correct in both statements. It is written in Japanese and you download the Japanese language pack for you browser to view the web site. Although I suspect that if you asked this question, you are probably unable to read Japanese and the download won't help you.

10. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
  11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I like teh california series fenders- they have a slightly special tone (both the g*tars and basses).. can't put my finger on it, but they seem just about as good at the mia's. if you want fat, get a P, if you want bite, get a J.

12. Speak for yourself. How can you tell someone that they're not interested in a P-bass?

Perhaps, fender should stop making all P-bassed immediately and produce only jazz basses. In about 10 seconds you'll have an uproar of people asking Fender why in the heck they did that for.

Nothing wrong with a P-bass. Nothing wrong with a Jazz bass, either. Just different.

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    He said he wanted to get a new bass, and if he got a California used he'd get it from that TBer I assume.