Your Opinion: Buying New Or Used?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NightVampZ, Jul 8, 2001.

1. NightVampZ

Jun 22, 2001
    At the end of August, I am planning on buying a new bass, I currently have a 4 string and I want to buy a 5 string although, I won't have that much money... So, I was wondering, if it were your decision, would you wait longerr (it would take me almost a full year to have enough for a new bass) and buy a new bass or, would you just make sure to shop around alot and find a really good deal and good quality used bass? Since you guys seem to really know what you are talking about... In case it helps, I don't want anything super fancy and, I am in Ontario Canada.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    If you know what you want and you find it used, sure, why not?

Of course, you should check the instruent out before you buy and ask for their return policy in case you change your mind.
  3. Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Buy used if you can. Got a used 98 P-bass at Guitar Center for $400. IT was only missing the jack nut and the tone knob. Just make sure its not screwed up too badly if it even is.
  4. New is always nice,but used is often more practical
    and realistic.I bought my `98 MIA P bass used but in nm cond. from for only $500.00.I got a good deal and I am happy.I have no problem going the used route from a reputable dealer or music megastore.If you are like me,when you get GAS,no way in heck you can wait a year to get something you are drooling after! :)
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Big Wheel pretty much summed it up...used, why not?
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Bass Northwest is another reputable dealer of used gear.
    I got my`79 fretless Ripper (VG cond.) there for a stoopid low
    price - WITH the original case, also in fine condition.

They currently have a couple of interesting Warmoth, Jazz-
    type creations (5'rs) for ~$600. How about this 'seriously'
    red one? :D --> click .
  7. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have to agree with going used. A little patience and persistence can save you a buttload of money. Arranging a return policy, even with a private party is certainly the best way to go. Being a fretless player, I have an ace up my sleeve in finding mint instruments. Two of my basses were scored for smokin' prices, as the initial buyers decided they didn't like playing fretless after a very short time, thus I score a "new" bass for a used price. In the case of warranties, it all depends on the company. I called Ernie Ball after buying a month old used Stingray. They told me no, my bass was not under warranty being used, but if I had any problems to send it in and they would cover it anyway. Good luck shopping!
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Depreciation can be a beautiful thing.
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i get what ever is cheaper. :) I bought my '01 MIA P-Bass for $500 brand new with hardshell case and all the goodies (allyn wrench, truss rod adjuster, cheap strap, cloth, bumber sticker, etc.)

It's pretty much used for me, everyone pretty much summed it up.
  10. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    my old g&l that i bought used kinda sucked. it had a lot of electronics problems that i never bothered fixing (cuz they were expensive repairs). i just got my factory new sr800 and baby, there's nothing like a brand new factory finish and state of the art electronics in a new bass. :)
  11. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    There aren't that many new Lefty basses in music shops around me, so I'm used to buying used. I say used is good if you're a beginner or even a medium player.

I recently just got my first 5 string and it was a used Carvin. A couple of small scratches and dents here and there, but it's a great bass, and I love it.

I say go used, then when you make it big and have lotsa money, order a custom made bass for yourself.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My head says "used."

My heart says "new."

Consequently, I have only bought one used bass in 30+ years and that was only because it was a vintage, collectible, instrument.
  13. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I have always bought used and always will. The beauty of it is if you pick up a quality pre-owned instrument, 99% of the time you can resell it for the same price. If you find it isn't what you thought it would be after a week, couple of months or years, you sell it with no money lost. What's better than that? To hell with new equipment! :)
  14. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I only buy new basses, unless I want a vintage or a discontinued bass. Being left-handed, it is hard enough to find new basses, let alone used basses.

I would buy used amps/cabs/speakers/etc though.
  15. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I look at it this way; If I can walk into GC, Mars, Wonderland, etc and pick it off a rack, then somebody else already did, and I can benefit from their indecision or need to upgrade. The only difference between a good clean used piece and a brand new one is probably the strings and some fingerprints.

On the other hand, if I know EXACTLY, down to the last detail, what I want and recognize that I'm not likely to find that exact thing floating around, I order new.

If you're gonna buy used, identify some reputable sources and track what they normally get for stuff similar to what you want. Play as many instruments as you can at gear stores and pawn shops so that you learn what you like AND what you DON'T like. Then go for it.

When I first started to play 5 strings, I went with a good used bass. It served me well. Once I knew exactly what I wanted in a 5 string bass I custom ordered a new bass and sold the used one for exactly what I paid for it.

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    2nd hand whenever possible, new if necessary.
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    used as often as possible - shoot i like to even find custom conklins used, i have 2 that i bought from other folks.
  18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive bought both new and used.There is alot of junk out there that shops are selling,so make sure you check it over completely so you know what youre getting.Some of the smaller shops may have better quality instruments than the large chain type places,so check there too.I got a MIA Jazz V with hardshell case for $500 from a small shop,and the Bass was like new.
  19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There are a lot of ggod reasons to buy used including price. Guitars are pretty simple things. If it plays good, sounds good and looks good, it is good. I have owned more than a dozen basses and only a couple have I bought new.

I also think there is something to the instrument "seasoning." A used instrument is usually set up better and even if you do have to rework the set up, the necks seem a lot more stable and set up is easier.

As for buying used amps/speakers, that's a different story. They have a little more definate lifespan. With electronics, a warrenty is a good thing.
  20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I would recommend going used too, if you know what you want. Bass Northwest has a huge selection, so does Bass Palace, and quite a few other online stores. Most offer some sort of return policy, too, I think. If I was going to buy another bass instead of having my custom built, that is definitely the route that I would go. You can save major bucks and still get a great bass.

Put it this way--you could go new and buy a cheaper, brand new bass, that you might soon get tired of or need to upgrade. Or you could get a higher end used bass that you might be happy with for many, many years. :D