Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Opinion of Ibanez SR405 5 String And Price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Jan 27, 2003.

1. I have been shoppping around to replace my used Washburn 4 string. I found a wine colored Ibanez SR405 5 string at Ken Stanton's for 299.99. They list retail at $700.00 for this axe. I am mostly a church player, and do a bit of jamming in country and bluegrass. What is your opinion of this bass? They say the price cut is because of the color and that the model is no longer made. Thanks In Advance.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's a really good price. If you like it...GRAB IT!!!

I have an SR406..the 6 string version, which I adore. I paid $299 for it at a spectacular Guitar Center list sale in October. They were selling the 5 strings for $249 which is cheaper than cheap...$299 is a really, really good price.

If you search ebay for SR405s and look at closed auctions, you'll get a feel for what used ones go for.

Also for comparison, my local Music Go Round store has a used Yamaha RBX765A for $299 which is a very similar bass to the soundgear. With the new SR405, you'd get a warranty too.

Again, if you like it...GRAB IT!!! It's a great deal.

Have fun!!!

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    $300 sounds like a decent deal for that Bass, and unless you find something else used, I dont think youll find much better for that price.. When I bought mine they were going for close to $500 retail. Overall I liked my SR405(the string spacing was a little tight, though), but have since moved on to a Lakland 55-01.

The big question is do you like the Bass? If its to your liking, then there you have it. Let your hands and ears be the judge, and dont let the Ibanez/FiElDy haters influence your decision.