1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your opinion on a AVRI 57 (2004) P-bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAFbass1992, Dec 10, 2017.

1. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    I'm looking for a nice vintage sounding pbass to put flats on it and I came across a 57 AVRI P for a very good price. The bass is 8.5lbs and has honest wear/relic on it!

Just wondering if the 57 AVRI are considered as good instruments between the different AVRI Pbass models. For example, I know the 63' are getting lots of love. I read that there isn't a big difference between the US and AVRI 57 models. Also, is 2004 a good year for AVRI basses? I know that this decade wasn't the greatest from Fender in general!

Anyway, looking for an excuse if I should drop the bank on a new bass. GAS is hitting me again!

Thank you!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Hey man, from what you're saying, it sounds like a really nice instrument. I'd check it out and if it feels good in your hands and sounds decent I wouldn't hesitate especially at eight and a half pounds which is a nice weight for a p Bass!

3. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    If it's a good price, get it! I'm not totally sure about the '57 AVRI but I do know that the '58 has wonderful rolled edges and it seems like I remembering playing an older '57 about 10 years ago at Sam Ash and it did not have rolled edges.

The '63s and '58s AVRI are almost Custom Shop quality!

4. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    Guess I'll go try it out then!

5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I play a '57 AVRI. It's my #1 of 6 P basses.

6. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    So I finally pulled the trigger...! Pretty impressed so far!

Attached Files:

Mike N, selowitch, Ghastly and 3 others like this.
  7. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I came upon this thread too late to offer advice. Instead, I offer congratulations!! In my less-than-valuable opinion, one of the best basses Fender has offered. I sold mine because the 1.75" nut/neck width bothered me. But I have never matched the tone I got from that bass. I truly miss mine. Yours is a beauty! Enjoy!!

MAFbass1992 likes this.
  8. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    I have a '62 P and the '57 is something I have always dreamt of. Not sure about the thicker neck though.
    I was near to get one - a 2001 in Dakota Red - this week, but the seller did not accept trading it for my AVRI '62 Jazz.

s-l1600.

MAFbass1992 likes this.
  9. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I have one that is quite nice. Blonde w/ maple/ I couldn't stand that aluminum pick guard so I had PickGuardian make me up a nitro tort guard. I'm not a fan of the raised A pick-ups so I went with Nords. Great bass.

MAFbass1992 likes this.