Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your opinion on a certain wah pedal

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by HRoll, Apr 27, 2002.

1. HRoll

HRoll

Apr 27, 2002
    California
    I would like your opinion on a MOrley power wah boost pedal..i guess its vintage...all chrome i believe
    also for distortion is the electro harmonix american made big muff a decent distortion pedal?
    thnxs
    Hroll

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hroll,

sorry, I've never used one of these.

on bass, watt

3. Hi there
    I had one of these many years ago...the tone is not great, but the extreme range of the bass-to-treble sweep means you can actually use it with bass. Most wahs are very wimpy sounding with bass, at least live, and make your sound disappear in the wash.
    The Big Muff is probably the coolest fuzz pedal ever made for bass but is damn near impossible to use live, as it lacks definition. It would be great for recording, but for live use I'd go with something like a Proco Rat.
    KFS

4. watt

hey,

thanks for the help. I'm pretty lacking w/experience regarding effects w/the bass. I have used an enveloper filter though and maybe that'd work better than a wah for the bass.

on bass, watt

5. Think nothing of it...glad my obsessive tendencies could help.
    A filter is probably more useful to most bass-playing--especially if you play softly and don't open the filter, the DOD pedal is great for that--but a wah allows more creativity and control over the effect, if you don't mind a case of shin splints.
    So the next tour begins in March--when will you swing through Albany, NY? The last gig, at Valentine's, was the first time I missed you since that tour with Nels Cline however many years ago. I wanna bring my fiancee and see if she gets what you're doing...
    KFS

6. watt

hi,

yeah, I dug the touch response when I used that dod (or was it boss?) envelope filter on "tell e'm, boy" on the wrestling record. it was all about the dynamics on how hard you plucked the strings. this made it easier for me to be more expressive w/it.

I'll come through albany again, for sure - I dig playing that town.

thanks for the good word!

on bass, watt

7. listening to the king crimson set "the great deceiver- live '73-74", i think i need to check an old morley fuzz wah. apparently thats what wetton used, and...sounds pretty mean.
    i am much diggin' the electro harmonix q-tron envelope filter. a bit different of a sound than most EV's; but very cool.
    but the z. vex woolly mammoth is a bad machine for bass fuzz, if i was to vote for one. i know watt used one in the Fog, and it sounded good there as well. it and the Rat are the only two i'd regularly use on bass. (careful with the Rats, eugene: some variations, and not all sound very good)
    i am curious as to what J used to record bass on the "more light" record; his rig, that is. it sounds great on that record. would you happen to know, mr. watt?

8. watt

william,

I believe j used an early 60s p-bass (a righteous one, I've played it) through an ampeg svt-II hooked up to an ampeg svt 8x10 cabinet. he also took a direct signal straight out of the bass. he plays w/a pick, by the way.

on bass, watt