1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

your opinion on a new bass, american std or bacchus craft

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faqfoo, Dec 28, 2016.

1. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    I'm lookin at getting a new bass, so if you had $1100 and was going to get a new jazz style bass (I do, but want your EXPERIENCED opinions) if you had to choose between an fender American std or a bacchus craft series (both worth maple neck, 34" 22 fret not 24) which would you choose and why? I like the fenders a lot but have heard great things about the bacchus craft series also. .. my music play style is kinda weird: a cross between the awesome rock funk of Robert trujillio (infectious grove days), old hard slap of flea (and Robert for that matter) the coolness and weirdness of les Claypool mixed with the awesome fills of Duff Mckagan.... (cool right! Haha)... I know besides flea they mainly play 24's but I prefer traditional jazz size not that it matters. Just want your experienced opinions on which bass you prefer outta the 2. Thanks guys (and awesome ladies! )

2. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    Really? No opinions at all? !

3. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've never played a Baccus, but my players are all MIJ and my USA Fenders are up for sale.

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Bacchus all the way.
    Fantastic instruments.

DWBass, Dub56 and songwriter21 like this.
  5. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I have a fender american standard jazz, and I would rather have the Bacchus except for the resale, I suppose. Does the Bacchus have graphite neck reinforcement?

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'd go Bacchus without a second thought.
    There's a member here who sold all his Fenders and now plays Bacchus exclusively. Do a quick board search for Bacchus and you'll see quite a few posts about their impeccable quality.
    I've been wanting one for years (recently became a G&L fanatic) but I have yet to see a Bacchus in any store, and believe me I get around, I frequent 5 different Guitar Centers, Sam Ash, 8th Street Music and Robbie's Music, etc...I've tried out between 60 and 70 basses this past year, including an Atlier Z which is right up there with Bacchus.
    Nothing wrong with Fender, of course, but it'd be nice to have a Bacchus just for the fun of answering all the questions I'm sure you'll get.
    With all that said, you haven't even considered one of these?
    51wu9g.

7. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    Dag....it is Purdy!!!

jd56hawk likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    $1,499 through the G&L store, but you can probably find one for $1,000 or so.
    The USA G&Ls are quality instruments and the used prices are ridiculously low.
    I bought this last month for $899!
    6fcz2c.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  9. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Fender.

I would not spend a bunch of money on a bass/ brand that I have never played, seen or heard (in person). And if I were to take that gamble, I would rather put the money on a known item that I would be able to get as much of my money back on as quickly as possible. Unless they have a great return policy, I would not take the chance.

10. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I support the Bacchus choice, also. Their basses are so easy to play, because they can be set up with really low action, sound balanced, are solid, and built very well. My bass has the SICKEST slap tone that I've ever heard. I've had/tried over 100 basses, even went to NAMM years back, and Bacchus kicks ass right up there damn near Sadowsky fame, perhaps better. If they marketed here, they'd scare Fender, Sadowsky, and other, imo. The neck on mine (avatar pic) is dead-flat, and sounds really nice out at front-of-house, and for me on stage. I'm sure they kill for recording, too.

Bacchus treats their customers well, too. I bought mine through VSN Guitars (in Canada...VSN's a good store, too), and through them, had Bacchus (bascially Deviser--they make Bacchus, along with STR, Momose, Ateiler Z, Sadowsky Metro, etc) clean up my bass. They fixed a weak volume pot, made the fretboard binding smooth again (I have an ebony board, so it shrank a bit), and gave it a full setup with new strings, all under warranty. Best of all, even though it took a month or so, they covered shipping from here in Pittsburgh, all the way back to Japan and then back here, 100%..didn't cost me a dime. They shipped the bass back to me being wrapped in a plastic bag that sealed the gigbag and bass, to further protect from weather changes. It came back when it was there and especially here, so that was a plus. The bass plays better than it did new, if you can believe that, and the neck hasn't needed an adjustment since it came back. So, when they first told me (through my dealer), that they want their customers to be happy, seems like they mean it.

Not to mention...look at this pristine wiring! Only Sadowsky has wowed me like this with their cavity work.

Attached Files:

jd56hawk likes this.
  11. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Bacchus by far and that would even be if the choice was the Deluxe or Elite Fenders. You simply can't beat Bacchus for the money.

Dub56 and UNICORN BASS like this.
  12. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Calling @AngelCrusher. You've played both. What's your opinion?

13. Nothing against Bacchus, they look very nice, at least the Japan-built ones do. The ones made in the Philippines...maybe not as impressive. The problem I have with Bacchus, as you've outlined in your post, is their utter lack of availability and/or warranty service in the US.

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, let's examine how your buying experience went down.

> Purchased through VSN in Canada, which I believe is pretty much the only North American source for Bacchus? It should be noted that there is an import tax levied on USA buyers. Probably about $50-60. (potential buyers should ask about that before pulling the trigger, nobody likes "surprises")

> Your brand new bass arrived with a bad volume pot, an issue with the neck binding (presumably caused by fret sprout?), and in need of a "full setup". These are issues not normally associated with builders that have a reputation for stellar QC. This also tells me that VSN may be just a jobber/distributor for Bacchus instruments, and may not even inspect them before shipping them. If this is not the case, then something went horribly wrong somewhere along the way.

> Under warranty, you had to send the bass back to Japan to rectify the QC issues (surprise!). That Deviser covered the shipping costs to and from Japan isn't much consolation IMO. By my standards, having to ship an item to the other side of the planet for repairs is not a "plus". It's a negative that sounds like a huge avoidable hassle to me, and not an service arrangement I'd care to get involved with.

To each their own, but I'd have to drink a gallon of Bacchus Kool-aide before being happy with what you went through. ;)

14. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I own a Japanese model. The volume pot wasn't bad, just tame or maybe not as immediate compared to what I'm used to, and I wanted it replaced where it was made. I told them that I wanted a more sensitive pot, and they gave me no grief, as I'd hoped.

Regarding the binding, the bass may have been at VSN for long enough to go through some seasonal changes. Nothing was actually functionally or structurally wrong, as it was still new (possibly NOS) from their top luthiers. I didn't have much of a problem with sending it back to Japan, because I have a backup bass for times like that, so it was okay with me.

The only reservations, were yes, sight unseen from a foreign country, and the tax/duty question. I went the Japanese model route, because I wanted to risk it on their top production model (Woodline DX series). I was pleasantly surprised that I paid nothing with import fees, too.

15. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
  16. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    @sonwriter21, yer awesome dude, thanks for taking the time to give me your honest opinion. ...vsn currently (yesterday) had a craft series for $750...would love the dx but from what I've been able to shop its about 4-600 outta my price range. ...I'm in the military and can't afford a whole lot so this would be my keeper for a Coupla years until maybe I could swing paying more. ...Templar makes extremely valid points (thanks for chiming in bro) but I have a backup as well (hell, been play)in it for 3 Years! So I can wait if it needs to be sent back. ....songwriter21, you just about have me convinced from the customer service and the slap tone as you could imagine is how I play the most from my OP.....thanks guys, please keep it coming worth your pros and cons! !

songwriter21 likes this.
  17. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    ANGELCRUSHER PLEASE CHIME IN! !!

18. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    It's tough to go wrong either way. You are not real specific on the model of Fender or what you prefer. For example, do you prefer the vintage Jazz bass tones and feel? If that is the case, I would try and get a used Fender AVRI. Those are insanely good basses.

If you like the more fast, modern feel - Bacchus. They are fantastically made basses and come in very unique looks as well. The pickups are a little more sterile and modern while the Fender AVRIs are warmer and more old school.

If it is between Bacchus and Fender Am Standard, I'd go Bacchus.

songwriter21 and wintremute like this.
  19. faqfoo

Thank you for your service.

20. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    I do like the more fast feel as I really tend to beat the snot or of it, but prefer the vintage sound. ...maybe bacchus with changed innards?